R.I.P. Gentle Ben Williams

I’m sorry for his family he’s gone.  I’m very fortunate I’m the youngest of four, and my parents had me when they were much older, but my dad (huge Bills fan) is 89. It was funny on NFLR they played the greatest NFL game if all time stated by many, the Giants and Colts. He recited to me half the game.  It was the first time I listened to the play by play.

Its sad when we lose these old timers.  My wrestling coach was Al Bemiller, from the 60’s and what a great guy. 

• Like (+1) 3

Not only was he one of the first black players at Mississippi he was so respected that he became a captain. In a mostly segregated school he was well respected on campus. He was an excellent football player but more importantly he was a wonderful human being. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2020/05/18/ben-williams-ole-miss-first-black-football-player-dies/5216201002/

• Like (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m sorry for his family he’s gone.  I’m very fortunate I’m the youngest of four, and my parents had me when they were much older, but my dad (huge Bills fan) is 89. It was funny on NFLR they played the greatest NFL game if all time stated by many, the Giants and Colts. He recited to me half the game.  It was the first time I listened to the play by play.

Its sad when we lose these old timers.  My wrestling coach was Al Bemiller, from the 60’s and what a great guy. 

Al Bemiller worked at the Butler Mitchell Boys Club on the west side of Buffalo in one of the offseasons.  I used to tease him that he went to Syracuse because he wasn't good enough to play at Penn St. One time he had enough of my taunting in the gym. He ended up picking me up and bringing me to the shower where he turned on the water in order to cool me off. He was a great fellow that even the wise guys on the west side liked.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills 19th all-time in sacks which was not recorded until 1982 per pro football reference so he had several more

tied for 24h all time in Bills games played with 147

RIP to a gamer and a mild-mannered southern gent

Edited by First Round Bust

Wow, I had just been pulling film on Ben Williams because he was the first Bill I thought of as a comparison when watching Epenesa's reel. Sad to see him go but he left his cleat marks in the sands of time. RIP.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yup.  Even the Super Bowls faded with time, but that game will always be the one that got away.

I just rewatched that game in a great abbreviated 20 minute video.  Romes  drops what could’ve been a clinching INT and then Simpson gets beat and barely misses a shoe-string tackle. Mike-Mayer sucked.

I’d forgotten what an arm Ferguson had.  Unfortunately his problem was between his ears with ill advised throws resulting in INTs and then the head down aw shucks reaction to them.

I first inadvertently clicked on the 1981 regular season game between the 2 teams.  That was a great game and Fergy was really zipping the ball that day.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

Wow. sad to hear this and yes love them both 

cant argue .. still haunted by that game ,(San Diego playoff game) always will be 

That loss to San Diego hurt as much as the SB losses. 

?

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Al Bemiller worked at the Butler Mitchell Boys Club on the west side of Buffalo in one of the offseasons.  I used to tease him that he went to Syracuse because he wasn't good enough to play at Penn St. One time he had enough of my taunting in the gym. He ended up picking me up and bringing me to the shower where he turned on the water in order to cool me off. He was a great fellow that even the wise guys on the west side liked.  

I remember going to that club as well.   Bumper pool and baseball, and more baseball. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

One of my favorite players as a young Bills fan.  RIP Ben.

Me too! Always looked for #77. RIP. 

2 hours ago, LB48 said:

That loss to San Diego hurt as much as the SB losses. 

My 10-year-old self says it hurt worse. I loved that 1980 team. 

Edited by eball

My FAVORITE memory of Ben was at a game in 1979. My Dad's best friend was a security guard for the Bills. He asked Ben if he would sign something for me. Ben obliged. However, all I had was my father's pay stub. Ben came over to sign it.....looked at the "paper" oddly and said "I am not going to sign that. You have a football?" I told him no. He went to the nearest ball boy and grabbed one from the bag and signed it to give to me. It started my signature collection.  Big Ben was my first from a player on the field. ALWAYS memorable and a great man!

RIP Big Ben. You made a memory of a lifetime for a 10 year old!

Edited by aceman_16
speeling
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Benny Williams was my favorite childhood player. After one game I still remember going with my dad down to the tunnel where the players head back to the locker room. I distinctly recall shouting down to him at the top of my lungs, "YAZ-OOO city" as I always loved the unusual name of his hometown. Will never forget him looking up with his classic, big smile, pumping his fist in the air with pride!  Great memories. 

• Like (+1) 2

RIP Ben. One the great Bills. 

I need some help here, and either my brain is failing me or the internet is, and we all know the internet never fails. 

I remember clear as day, at least I think I do, being at the Jet game in 79 , the Jerry Butler 4 TD game. End of first half , Butler scores on what we commonly call a Hail Mary now.  Fairly certain it was the first year two offensive players could consecutively touch the ball. We were going nuts And doing shots after that play! 

Her’s the rub.... I could swear the Bills called it the Big Ben play , and for some reason it was named after Ben Williams. But I can find zero mention of the play or “ Big Ben” anywhere. 

Any y’all remember this?