R.I.P. Gentle Ben Williams

10 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Indeed. He and Sherman White were a great pair of rushing DE’s!

Wow. sad to hear this and yes love them both 

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Ben Williams was a good football player. Solid across the board.

That 1980 team is still my favorite Bills team of all time.

cant argue .. still haunted by that game ,(San Diego playoff game) always will be 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sad news.  Always really liked him, and so many of the other guys from that era.

p.s.  just curious, but does anyone know how many sacks (approx) he had in his career?  Sacks weren't officially tracked for most of his career.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

still haunted by that game ,(San Diego playoff game) always will be 

Yup.  Even the Super Bowls faded with time, but that game will always be the one that got away.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

This hits close to home.  Was in college during the "Ground Chuck" Knox years and those were some good teams, especially on defense.  the Bermuda Triangle with Sherman White, Gentle Ben and Ken "Baby" Johnson rotating at DE.  "I gotta feelin', Buffalo's going to da Super Bowl!  RIP Gentle Ben.

• Like (+1) 1

He was better than solid.  He was an excellent player.  A third round pick.  He started just about every game that he dressed for in his 10 year career.

He made a Pro Bowl in 1982.   Was even better in '83 when he had 10 sacks in 14 games. 

To illustrate how messed up things were, he was drafted in 1976 and was the first African American football player at Ole Miss.    

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1