Big Ben is back - Steelers AFC North favorite?

Taking Big Ben lightly is a mistake.  He’s always been stout to be polite, but he still can hang in the pocket and make the tough throws, when others would go down.  They were 5th in defense and 28th in offense.  With Ben back, that offense will improve.  We’ll see.  A lot of pride on this board and that is fine.  How about we win a bunch before as Parcells said, we crown them.  My phrase as I’ve said before is cautiously optimistic.

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Taking Big Ben lightly is a mistake.  He’s always been stout to be polite, but he still can hang in the pocket and make the tough throws, when others would go down.  They were 5th in defense and 28th in offense.  With Ben back, that offense will improve.  We’ll see.  A lot of pride on this board and that is fine.  How about we win a bunch before as Parcells said, we crown them.  My phrase as I’ve said before is cautiously optimistic.

On the flip side Ben is 38 and has had his share of injuries. He is obviously a first ballot HOF but injuries and age might be catching up to him now. I wouldn't be surprised if he is not playing when the Steelers come to OP.

Edited by Greg S

1 hour ago, MJS said:

That game was never really in question. The Bills had it under control and our defense shut their offense down. I was never worried. Were you?

I was not.  But that was largely because the Stiller offense was completely impotent against our defense.  Had BR (even a very fat BR) been QBing their offense, it would have been a very different story. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Hes been declining for 2 or 3 years.   Don't think the injury will help with that.  They have a solid chance at 3rd though.  :)

In 2018, he threw for 5,000 yards and 34 tds.  It’s so weird the double standards we have for other QBs.  Bills QBs throw for 200 yards, they are awesome.  Other QBs win the MVP or throw for 5,000 yards, they are flukes!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He could fall off the cliff athletically this year.

But Ben has been a HOF QB with two SB rings, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt, even at age 38.

We have been trying to bury Brady for many years to no avail. Ben should given the same respect and he will have to show he is done instead of us predicting he will be done.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They went 8-8 a year after losing Bell, Brown,  and Big Ben starting a guy named duck and terrible Mason.  The AfC north is going to be a beast this year. 

Watch the tape on Big Ben before he hurt his elbow. They would have been that or worse with him playing the whole season. He's trash now

So, they'll be ~8-8 again, though it's far from a guarantee they lead the NFL in takeaways again

47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In 2018, he threw for 5,000 yards and 34 tds.  It’s so weird the double standards we have for other QBs.  Bills QBs throw for 200 yards, they are awesome.  Other QBs win the MVP or throw for 5,000 yards, they are flukes!

If Manning can fall off a cliff in a season, so can Ben. He was ***** terrible for 2 games and then had a horrific season-ending injury in his throwing elbow, and gained 500 lbs while turning 38 or 39. 

He is done

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They went 8-8 a year after losing Bell, Brown,  and Big Ben starting a guy named duck and terrible Mason.  The AfC north is going to be a beast this year. 

This.  I could see the Ravens, Steelers, and Browns all making the play offs -- although they might all lower their win totals if they take turns beating one another.

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They played a 3rd string QB who had no business starting. Duck Hodges is god awful..... if the Bills lost that game they didn’t deserve a playoff spot. 

Allen faced down a top tier defense in an environment that was as pressure packed as it gets at the NFL level—he could’ve folded like a cheap suit but rose to the occasion—point being, that Steeler D was no cakewalk, the Bills earned what they got. 

3 hours ago, arcane said:

Watch the tape on Big Ben before he hurt his elbow. They would have been that or worse with him playing the whole season. He's trash now

So, they'll be ~8-8 again, though it's far from a guarantee they lead the NFL in takeaways again

If Manning can fall off a cliff in a season, so can Ben. He was ***** terrible for 2 games and then had a horrific season-ending injury in his throwing elbow, and gained 500 lbs while turning 38 or 39. 

He is done

I think Ben’s issues for years have  been that he’s a  different QB on the road than he is at home. Really the whole team under Tomlin usually rises to the occasion at home especially in big games and has looked like a different team often on the road, specifically when it’s a game they are expected to win. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Have the new Browns EVER been anything but an also ran -aside from a League embarrassment? Yes, we lost to them last season but removing the ‘process’ exposed our team as not very good. Yet, we nearly came back against Baltimore -who were embarrassed by the Chiefs a few weeks later, stifled a Steeler team at home in Prime time in a game they HAD to win. Cincy? Fuggetaboutit. 

The Division was not a beast last year and there’s nothing to suggest collectively they’ll be better heading into ‘20. Stiller’s have their customary 4 prime time games, but 3 are on the road. 

Nothing to see here.

The Browns somehow even lost to Duck Hodges. But beat Mason Rudolph (literally, with a helmet). 

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Ben’s issues for years have  been that he’s a  different QB on the road than he is at home. Really the whole team under Tomlin usually rises to the occasion at home especially in big games and has looked like a different team often on the road, specifically when it’s a game they are expected to win. 

That may well be true. I'm happy to eat crow if I'm wrong (well, not really, because that would mean the Bills have competition I don't expect) but I just see his issue now as being an almost-obese 38 year old football player that just had Tommy freakin John surgery and was showing signs of being horrific before injuring the elbow