Jim Kelly, "something wrong" if Bills don't take East

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

As opposed to say, the innumerable talking heads on ESPN who don't give a flip about the Bills? What would make Jim's comments any less newsworthy for discussion on this board?

I would vote for none of them.  ?

Is a new thread needed every time some former player or talking head opens their mouth?

Edited by LabattBlue

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Seahawks needed to wait and they're the SB winning team we resemble most imo

Not at all, they won the Super Bowl in year 3 of Russell Wilson. That's where we are with Allen right now. I'm not saying we have to win the Super Bowl this year but we should be one of the 5 or 6 teams that has a serious shot to win it all. That means at least one playoff win should be the minimum expectation this year.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Not at all, they won the Super Bowl in year 3 of Russell Wilson. That's where we are with Allen right now. I'm not saying we have to win the Super Bowl this year but we should be one of the 5 or 6 teams that has a serious shot to win it all. That means at least one playoff win should be the minimum expectation this year.

Not at all as in they didn't have to wait, or not at all as in we don't resemble them?

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Not at all as in they didn't have to wait, or not at all as in we don't resemble them?

As in they didn't have to wait any longer than we have. They won it all in Wilson's third year and have been perennial contenders ever since. Aside from injury I don't see any real excuses this year. If we aren't a competitive playoff team either the coaching staff wasn't prepared or Allen didn't take the step he needed. I'm optimistic that both of those things will happen by the way. But I'm drawing my line in the sand - the roster as it's constructed today should immediately be able to contend for a championship if the coaching staff and QB are progressing as they should be.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

As in they didn't have to wait any longer than we have. They won it all in Wilson's third year and have been perennial contenders ever since. Aside from injury I don't see any real excuses this year. If we aren't a competitive playoff team either the coaching staff wasn't prepared or Allen didn't take the step he needed. I'm optimistic that both of those things will happen by the way. But I'm drawing my line in the sand - the roster as it's constructed today should immediately be able to contend for a championship if the coaching staff and QB are progressing as they should be.

They didn't have to suffer a down year moving contracts around iirc

I think it's fine to have big expectations. But I'm not thinking they need to do anything specific to earn my thumbs up this season. As far as a competitive playoff team, I'd say they were that last season. They lost a fluke wildcard game on the road. 

23 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I would vote for none of them.  ?

Is a new thread needed every time some former player or talking head opens their mouth?

During a Covid-19 offseason? Probably. This still beats most "regular" news headlines of the day. :) 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

And yet we haven't won the division or even a playoff game for decades.

So no, I disagree. The first step should be winning the division and a playoff game and then we go from there. Obviously the Superbowl is always the goal, but can we realistically expect this team who hasn't won a playoff game to go all the way to the Superbowl?

Anyone who thinks we have a Superbowl caliber team right now is wrong.

MJS, I’m with you in that there is a lot of hype we win the AFC, the SB, etc., and we haven’t beaten a playoff team since 1995.  Winning the AFCE is realistic to hope for as a goal, and winning a game in the playoffs.  I don’t know why people think we’ll win against the Chiefs or Ravens yet.  It doesn’t mean we won’t beat them, but how can anyone be that self assured.  If halfway through the season we beat KC on TR night, ok, then we can get a little excited.

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

MJS, I’m with you in that there is a lot of hype we win the AFC, the SB, etc., and we haven’t beaten a playoff team since 1995.  Winning the AFCE is realistic to hope for as a goal, and winning a game in the playoffs.  I don’t know why people think we’ll win against the Chiefs or Ravens yet.  It doesn’t mean we won’t beat them, but how can anyone be that self assured.  If halfway through the season we beat KC on TR night, ok, then we can get a little excited.

I just don't think we have earned the right to call our team a Superbowl caliber team. Expectations are secondary to me. I'm hoping by the end of this season we have earned that right to be seen that way after a deep playoff run.

I guess as far as expectations, I expect to win the division and to win at least one playoff game. Anything less is a huge disappointment. I would not be surprised if the team puts all the pieces together and puts together a little run in the playoffs. But no, I do not expect that this team will be in the Superbowl, much less win it.

• Like (+1) 1

I would expect with the offensive additions that anything less than an AFCE Division championship and getting to the AFC Championship game would be a failure. Josh has to step up his game. And Daboll & Sean will have to step up their coaching. No more sitting on leads and relying on the defense to finish the game. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why do people think there is some incremental growth to winning a Super Bowl? 

Like you have to win and then lose a playoff game first before going to the Super Bowl? 

Just look at San Francisco.

5-11

2-14

6-10

4-13

13-3 and Super Bowl appearance.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 hours ago, MJS said:

And yet we haven't won the division or even a playoff game for decades.

So no, I disagree. The first step should be winning the division and a playoff game and then we go from there. Obviously the Superbowl is always the goal, but can we realistically expect this team who hasn't won a playoff game to go all the way to the Superbowl?

Anyone who thinks we have a Superbowl caliber team right now is wrong.

You got all the answers don't ya?

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why do people think there is some incremental growth to winning a Super Bowl? 

Like you have to win and then lose a playoff game first before going to the Super Bowl? 

Because winning a championship is usually a learned behavior in pro sports. Usually

that's why you don't have lots of last to First super bowl stories in the NFL

Winning franchises know how to win because they've been there and done that. Michael Jordan is notorious for ripping into new teammates because he didn't think they knew how to win like he did

You lose a championship game, if you ever make it back you know how much harder you have to work to win

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

5-11

2-14

6-10

4-13

There are obviously exceptions to everything.

But the niners weren't some whipping boy for the last 15 years. They went to a Superbowl in the last 7 years. Their organization knows how to win and just needed 2 rebuild an old roster. And get another qb

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I would expect with the offensive additions that anything less than an AFCE Division championship and getting to the AFC Championship game would be a failure. Josh has to step up his game. And Daboll & Sean will have to step up their coaching. No more sitting on leads and relying on the defense to finish the game. 

It's a failure if your team doesn't win the Superbowl because that's the ultimate goal. If the Bills go out and win a playoff game but don't make it to the AFC Championship game, that will indeed be disappointing but I think it would still show that this team is getting better and better and in contention.

I'm still a bit skeptical of Daboll. We have no way to know if he is good. We have blamed the offensive shortcomings on a lack of talent and on Josh Allen developing, but even if that is true (and I believe that is), Daboll could still be mediocre. We have the talent now and if Allen is ready to take the next step, it could still be Daboll that holds the offense back. But this season will hopefully help us understand if he is the answer.

10 minutes ago, Gordio said:

You got all the answers don't ya?

Yes I do. Ask me anything.

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

5-11

2-14

6-10

4-13

Missing a lot of context, though. They traded for Jimmy G in the midst of their 6-10 season and won a bunch of games with him immediately. Then the next season (and they had very high expectations that year nationally) he got hurt early, effectively ruining the season for them. By the time Jimmy G was back healthy for a full season, they were ready to go.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

There are NUMEROUS examples of teams making jumps from bad or average to Super bowl representers from their conference or champs.

Well again nothing is set in stone. But for the most part, teams and  organizations need to learn how to win

It's the same in the NFL ,division 1 football ,and high School

You need to build a culture of winning in most cases

Even Saban struggled his first year in Alabama.

Sure it's always possible, but winning is a learned behavior in sports.  fact

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

There are NUMEROUS examples of teams making jumps from bad or average to Super bowl representers from their conference or champs.

Didn't the Giants go the WC route with Eli. I believe they had to win 3 road games to get to the Super Bowl as well.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

It's a failure if your team doesn't win the Superbowl because that's the ultimate goal. If the Bills go out and win a playoff game but don't make it to the AFC Championship game, that will indeed be disappointing but I think it would still show that this team is getting better and better and in contention.

I'm still a bit skeptical of Daboll. We have no way to know if he is good. We have blamed the offensive shortcomings on a lack of talent and on Josh Allen developing, but even if that is true (and I believe that is), Daboll could still be mediocre. We have the talent now and if Allen is ready to take the next step, it could still be Daboll that holds the offense back. But this season will hopefully help us understand if he is the answer.

Alright, are they going to allow fans into the football games in the fall?  The reason I ask is I was a longtime season ticket holder who dropped his seats 5 years ago & I purchased 4 season tickets this Feb for the upcoming season & I am pretty excited about it.  I even bought a new portable weber grill to bring to the tailgates.  So any insight would be appreciated.

Also, are they ever going to open the DMV up sometime this summer.  Reason being my son is 16 & the plan was for him to get his license so he could drive the drunk old man(me) home from the games this fall.  

So any insight would be appreciated.  

2 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Alright, are they going to allow fans into the football games in the fall?  The reason I ask is I was a longtime season ticket holder who dropped his seats 5 years ago & I purchased 4 season tickets this Feb for the upcoming season & I am pretty excited about it.  I even bought a new portable weber grill to bring to the tailgates.  So any insight would be appreciated. Answer: Possibly.

Also, are they ever going to open the DMV up sometime this summer.  Reason being my son is 16 & the plan was for him to get his license so he could drive the drunk old man(me) home from the games this fall.  Answer: Possibly.

So any insight would be appreciated. 

See above for my answers.

Happy to answer any other questions you have.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

Missing a lot of context, though. They traded for Jimmy G in the midst of their 6-10 season and won a bunch of games with him immediately. Then the next season (and they had very high expectations that year nationally) he got hurt early, effectively ruining the season for them. By the time Jimmy G was back healthy for a full season, they were ready to go.

I too am very skeptical of Daboll. Josh has so far made the incremental improvements we expected. But Daboll still struggles with consistency in play calling and personnel decisions. I know Gugny wants us to vault right to the SB and win it but that was never realistic with a project qb who EVERYONE  said would need more time to develop. I have no doubt that we'll win the east and go deep in the playoffs. How deep will depend on Josh & Daboll.