Cuomo today: NY State will work with professional teams to play games without fans

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

I think the Pegula's should figure out a way for all fans to log into a Zoom meeting, and yell as we normally do on good and bad plays. Hell, my neighbors can already hear me through the walls........let's put it through the speakers and into Rich. TV-MA for sure!

You know, you might have something here.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It figures the year we have multiple prime time home games that a pandemic would strike causing games to be played without fans.

I know, Right?

sounds like he’s already boxing it in mentally that fans will NOT be able to attend games this year?   Or am I reading too much into that?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's just a technical problem.  Let the engineers handle it.  Borrow serge server space from P******

Pegula Sports & Entertainment?

32 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I just hope a bunch of asymptomatic players don’t test positive, throwing a wrench in the NFL season. It’s so hard to see anything being close to normal with the way the virus is being handled imo. 

There is sufficient testing available in NY now so I would expect they will all be tested regularly. 

Just now, RiotAct said:

sounds like he’s already boxing it in mentally that fans will NOT be able to attend games this year?   Or am I reading too much into that?

Pegula Sports & Entertainment?

No, he said that sports can happen as of today in nys without fans. So Bills can play at home starting preseason. He may also open it up to fans by then or soon thereafter, reg season still 3 1/2 months away 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It figures the year we have multiple prime time home games that a pandemic would strike causing games to be played without fans.

The NFL will figure "something" out for ambient noise. There's no way they can't. I'm fine with no fans, but you have to have crowd noise of some variety.

37 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

Yeah... no one's really mentioned yet that he was shouting out the Bills specifically. Apparently he's a Bills fan above the other NY teams, just like Mario was.

Well, since the Bills actually provide taxes to New York State that makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Things seem close to normal in Ohio now. By September I think it will be a situation where at risk stay home, And attendance at sporting events is allowed but limited, ...however the days of quarantine-based closures and cancellations seem in the past. Churches open in 2 weeks, Kids start summer camp in 3 weeks, restaurants and bars already open for patio dining and completely re open on Thursday. Most colleges in Ohio including OU announced they will be on campus in fall. Ohio state announces mid-June, obviously its much bigger. 

I agree, but the virus itself isn’t going anywhere. Testing players could completely alter the season if rosters are decimated by guys being quarantined. It’d be one thing if we weren’t quarantining asymptomatic positives, but we are, and it has the potential to be a tough situation. Hopefully, I’m wrong and there aren’t as many asymptomatic carries as I believe. 

12 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

The NFL will figure "something" out for ambient noise. There's no way they can't. I'm fine with no fans, but you have to have crowd noise of some variety.

When i watched german soccer on saturday, the echos in the stadium created plenty of background noise. I still think we will be back in the stadium at some point during the season.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Things seem close to normal in Ohio now. By September I think it will be a situation where at risk stay home, And attendance at sporting events is allowed but limited, ...however the days of quarantine-based closures and cancellations seem in the past. Churches open in 2 weeks, Kids start summer camp in 3 weeks, restaurants and bars already open for patio dining and completely re open on Thursday. Most colleges in Ohio including OU announced they will be on campus in fall. Ohio state announces mid-June, obviously its much bigger. 

Oh, your from Ohio? Never would have guessed 

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, he said that sports can happen as of today in nys without fans. So Bills can play at home starting preseason. He may also open it up to fans by then or soon thereafter, reg season still 3 1/2 months away 

Thats what I understood. Keep positive vibes people!

• Haha (+1) 1

Why is this "decision" being made 4 months from games?  

Why isn't the answer to this question "we don't know yet."  

It's not an issue if there are no fans in the stands who are sick (if it even is at all) and we don't know what the situation will be FOUR MONTHS from now.  

Lawsuits?  Liability?

On every purchased ticket wherever it is you bought one the following should be included:

"I recognize I may get a virus if I go to a public event.  It is not the fault of the event or the State and locality it took place in if I catch a cold or COVID."

Done.  Leave the risks to the people not the freaking government.  You can take this up with me in the PPP board.  Peace.  

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

maybe.  The way it was presented was pretty football-centric though... like @Big Blitz said, still way too early to say that even the home opener won’t be able to have fans in attendance, let alone matches halfway though the season or later.

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Bruh, this is just step 1 of the re-opening. He left the door open for adjustment in the future and to allow fans, if we get to that point over the next few months.

The only decision being made right now is to allow teams to play, but without fans. It's a step in the right direction that we all should be happy with.

1 hour ago, DC Greg said:

Yeah... no one's really mentioned yet that he was shouting out the Bills specifically. Apparently he's a Bills fan above the other NY teams, just like Mario was.

Or perhaps its just that the other "New York" teams are in New Jersey, so anything he does in New York has no bearing on those teams.

• Like (+1) 1

I watched the German soccer games this weekend.  They just restarted their season and there were no fans.  I actually preferred it that way. With no fan noise you can hear what's actually going on during the game.  With football and hockey they would need a good long dump buffer to bleep out a lot of the potty mouths though ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

8 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

It's not an issue if there are no fans in the stands who are sick (if it even is at all) and we don't know what the situation will be FOUR MONTHS from now.  

Lawsuits?  Liability?

On every purchased ticket wherever it is you bought one the following should be included:

"I recognize I may get a virus if I go to a public event.  It is not the fault of the event or the State and locality it took place in if I catch a cold or COVID."

Done.  Leave the risks to the people not the freaking government.  You can take this up with me in the PPP board.  Peace.  

Maybe they do know the answer.

And the answer is there is a very high likelihood there will still be plenty of people around with the virus.  Think it's easier to double back in 2 or 3 months and say OK things are better than we thought, you can have fans in the stands than go the other way.  So prepare and plan for the worst from a league standpoint. 

Yes you can get the virus by going to an event.  It's your right to choose to expose yourself.  But are you and all the others out there who want their rights to do as they please willing to say if I get sick, I won't seek any medical care as don't want to expose myself to medical professionals.  Would you be OK if every doctor, nurse and whomever stated effective June 1st with the exception of maybe nursing homes, police and special situations; any one who gets sick,we're exercising our rights to refuse to treat them as they exposed themselves when it could have been avoided?

PS I'm 100% NOT in any way connected to the health industry nor do I have any relatives that are.