Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

2 hours ago, Logic said:

66 pages.

Bills fans are bonkers.

and loyal fanatics and we are  EVERYWHERE haha all those qualities endear me to this team even more ..crazy as some of we are.....#Billsmafia

3 hours ago, Doc said:

What, do you figure, is the holdup?

whenever I see posts added to the thread I look to see if there are further developments...NOPE. Ack. The sooner this is put in the rear view mirror the better IMO 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

So if he gets 4 games suspension and they cancel the first 4 games is that like time served? 

Maybe we can make it the next four preseason games of our choosing!   :)

• Like (+1) 1

They should leave all such decisions to my discretion, no waiting around anymore ??

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

If they ever give him 4 games, it'll be knocked down to 2 with the appeal.

What would be the appeal be based on?  If Goodell gave him 4 games, what would compel Goodell to then reduce to to 2?

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What would be the appeal be based on?  If Goodell gave him 4 games, what would compel Goodell to then reduce to to 2?

I don't know the appeal process, but players have had games reduced before and if Oliver has good lawyers, he might get his suspension reduced if he even gets one.

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I don't know the appeal process, but players have had games reduced before and if Oliver has good lawyers, he might get his suspension reduced if he even gets one.

They would be appealing to Goodell.  It's not a legal proceeding.  Lawyers don't matter..

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You realize that players' suspensions have been reduced before, right?  How do you think that happens?

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Glad to see your definitive take was grounded in solid reasoning 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

First violation.  If Ed was a repeat offender your point might stand.

I still think nothing will be ironed out till next season. I believe he will receive a 2 to 4 game suspension but the NFL usually takes awhile for this kind of stuff.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

I still think nothing will be ironed out till next season. I believe he will receive a 2 to 4 game suspension but the NFL usually takes awhile for this kind of stuff.

I fear what will happen next season is....... the next season, down the road a bit. 

This whole thing sucks! 

But the world has seen and survived worse. Keep the big picture in mind. 

If Ed gets 2 games or more I’ll be surprised but we don’t know the facts, so we’re all guessing. Zero games would not surprise me. Yes, I’m down right now on how this plays out for a season, but more optimistic on Ed. 

10 hours ago, Doc said:

You realize that players' suspensions have been reduced before, right?  How do you think that happens?

I do realize that, yes.  That wasn’t my question.

If busted for DWI/gun, what would be the basis of his appeal?  How would he mitigate that?

9 hours ago, Happy said:

First violation.  If Ed was a repeat offender your point might stand.

Do all first time violators get a reduction? If so, why not just make the penalty for them 2 games?

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I do realize that, yes.  That wasn’t my question.

If busted for DWI/gun, what would be the basis of his appeal?  How would he mitigate that?

Do all first time violators get a reduction? If so, why not just make the penalty for them 2 games?

This is baseless speculation without DWI lab results, but if it's true that his blood alcohol was low, I assume the appeal would point out that there has been a recent spate of citizens "calling in" the police on black people as "driving erratically" or "looking suspicious" and that the police in that area have a history of racial profiling. 

Some of the stuff in the officer's report like "He appeared nervous when I approached him" would be countered with "No Sh** Philando Castile George Floyd I'm a huge physically imposing black dude, I looked nervous because I was scared my life was in jeopardy - for good reason"

The gun was legal otherwise and its possession only became "unlawful" in the context of a crime being committed (eg, DWI).  So if no DWI, no gun charge.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is baseless speculation without DWI lab results, but if it's true that his blood alcohol was low, I assume the appeal would point out that there has been a recent spate of citizens "calling in" the police on black people as "driving erratically" or "looking suspicious" and that the police in that area have a history of racial profiling. 

Some of the stuff in the officer's report like "He appeared nervous when I approached him" would be countered with "No Sh** Philando Castile George Floyd I'm a huge physically imposing black dude, I looked nervous because I was scared my life was in jeopardy - for good reason"

The gun was legal otherwise and its possession only became "unlawful" in the context of a crime being committed (eg, DWI).  So if no DWI, no gun charge.

My question was based on the possibility  that he is actually guilty of the DWI.  If he is below legal limit and they drop the charges, there's no reason to believe he gets 4 games.

Your post covers ground well covered here.  But I'm asking about suspension if found guilty and how he would reduce it.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Im sure the citizen called because he was black, they could obviously tell thru the tinted glass at night.

DD65BCB5-17D1-481F-BD9C-4E1715ACD8F0.jpeg

Edited by uticaclub

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think it is typical that first time violators get a break in sentencing.  If the standard (if that exists in Roger's world) for a violation of rules/conduct is a 4 game suspension, making the penalty 2 games for a first time violation appears to be typical.  Goodell is not going to drop the penalty for repeat violators.