Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right. But going off what I stated before, if the FST is done with my back to the camera, it’s not really in my interest to do it. Take it, you decide I failed, get pulled in and now have “bad credit”. Or, don’t take it, get hauled in anyways, and instead of having bad credit, I have no credit. Which is better. 

I had a friend who is a policeman for a major US city tell me that the system is stacked against you.  Sure you can decline a FST, but they'll just arrest you another way; the police are prepared to counter any defense you might come up with.  As an aside, my friend told me that the big city cops don't always want to deal with a DUI since there are usually much bigger fish to fry, so they might take the keys from the driver and throw them away; it also depends on how cooperative the person is as well as what else is going on that night.  The car stays where it is until the next day when the owner can come get the car with a spare set of keys.  Relating to this matter, the point is Oliver was screwed once he was pulled over.  There will be some punishment from the NFL, at least, even if his lawyer gets him out of the law side of things.

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right. But going off what I stated before, if the FST is done with my back to the camera, it’s not really in my interest to do it. Take it, you decide I failed, get pulled in and now have “bad credit”. Or, don’t take it, get hauled in anyways, and instead of having bad credit, I have no credit. Which is better. 

I don’t decide which option is better and the only advice I will give is to not drink and drive in the first place. If you want to refuse because you think cops are corrupt liars then that's your choice and you'll have your day in court to fight whatever you're charged with. 

Regardless of whether you do SFST, you'll likey be asked to take a chemical back at the station. Refusal to take that and your license is suspended for a year. 

46 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No they can't.  I don't think they would be able to use a guillotine in this case. 

They literally can. Goodell is judge, jury, and executioner according to the CBA.

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

What was the court outcome? If the arresting officer testified what was his claim beyond the traffic infraction? 

Case was dismissed once my defense established the following. 

1. Arresting officer had questionable history.

2. Being pulled over for a slow 3pt turn at 2am just because I didn't completely

stop at a 4 way intersection established profiling ( I'm of Hispanic descent). 

3. FST footage showed what deemed to be no evidence of disorientation. (reasonable doubt).

4. Records showed equipment (breathalyzer) may have been defective due to passed due service requirements. Attorney did that on his own, I never submitted. Showed negligence on their part.

Was it a win? Perhaps legally but when you consider time and expense it was very inconvenient. I lived in CT at the time. Most would take the plea.

Edited by billsbackto81

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Yeah, people seem to think the NFL has their hands tied if there isn't a conviction. But the NFL can pretty much do what they want.

I think most relatively informed people know the nfl can place discipline on players regardless of the criminal outcome. However, the league typically waits until the outcome is decided and then lays down their punishment. 

55 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Case was dismissed once my defense established the following. 

1. Arresting officer had questionable history.

2. Being pulled over for a slow 3pt turn at 2am just because I didn't completely

stop at a 4 way intersection established profiling ( I'm of Hispanic descent). 

3. FST footage showed what deemed to be no evidence of disorientation. (reasonable doubt).

4. Records showed equipment (breathalyzer) may have been defective due to passed due service requirements.

Was it a win? Perhaps legally but when you consider time and expense it was very inconvenient. I lived in CT at the time. Most would take the plea.

My hats off to you for having the conviction and fortitude to fight this improper and contrived police behavior. As you pointed out it was not only an inconvenience but also an expensive endeavor. As you noted many victims of this type of abusive police behavior don't have the time and resources to fight the system. 

The bad officers on the force are well known within the department. Until there is a change of attitude and culture where the bad cops are held accountable and weeded out this systematic problem is going to continue to exist. I am a strong union advocate. However, the police union's unwillingness to address the bad cop contamination is a major reason why there is so much difficulty in solving this ugly problem that smears the dedicated majority of the force.   

• Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Magox said:

What's the consensus view?  Suspension?  If so, how long?

Three games. Serious enough for four, but 1st offense knocks it down one.

And I hope he doesn't appeal. We can do without him against the Jets, Dolphins and Rams. ?

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Magox said:

What's the consensus view?  Suspension?  If so, how long?

I think he avoids league discipline but McD might give him something to think about. Maybe a 1 game team suspension. We can beat the Jets without him. Depends on the alcohol results. If inadmissible he may skate on all of it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Three games. Serious enough for four, but 1st offense knocks it down one.

And I hope he doesn't appeal. We can do without him against the Jets, Dolphins and Rams. ?

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I think he avoids league discipline but McD might give him something to think about. Maybe a 1 game team suspension. We can beat the Jets without him. Depends on the alcohol results. If inadmissible he may skate on all of it.

Sooooo.

No consensus?  lol

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No they can't.  I don't think they would be able to use a guillotine in this case. 

they could but it's frowned upon

12 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

if the league doesn't suspend him, why would the Bills?

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, nucci said:

they could but it's frowned upon

if the league doesn't suspend him, why would the Bills?

Not unprecedented in any way, especially with the type of coach McDermott is. He preaches culture, unity, discipline and accountability. It would clearly send a message to the entire team. Plus playing the Jets Week 1 doesn't hurt the decision making.

On 6/17/2020 at 4:10 PM, Augie said:

A buddy bought a cheap one at a Walgreens. Complete garbage! One glass of wine and it would say he was near death. Three glasses of wine and he was barely registering. He threw his out and I wouldn’t be surprised if that junk didn’t lead to some lawsuits. 

Was your friend schnabbled when he bought it?  It might have been a pregnancy tester.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Was your friend schnabbled when he bought it?  It might have been a pregnancy tester.  ?

You might think so......he’s gained about 50 pounds and has “the look”. 

• Haha (+1) 2