Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was judged impaired at the scene....

If the law is similar in Texas as it is in the example of Michigan, it won't matter which impaired him, or his BAL.    They wouldn't have to prove which if the laws are similar.  Isn't that why they charge him with "another substance"?

Being arrested isn't the end of the process. It is the beginning of it. I'm sure he will have good legal representation that will vigorously act on his behalf. Let's wait and see how this plays out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Being arrested isn't the end of the process. It is the beginning of it. I'm sure he will have good legal representation that will vigorously act on his behalf. Let's wait and see how this plays out.

For sure.  Bob Kraft's guys come to mind...

58 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm betting that with the type of lawyer(s) EO will have, it won't be that easy.  In which case a plea deal is a certainty.

The question then will be, with no BAC, what can the league do WRT suspension?  Probably not much.

You seem really fixated on his BAC for some reason. 

The league can still suspend him for being arrested even if it’s pled down or dismissed.

Just now, Bangarang said:

You seem really fixated on his BAC for some reason. 

The league can still suspend him for being arrested even if it’s pled down or dismissed.

On what basis?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's a stretch at best.

I don’t know about that.

He could also (and more likely) be suspended under the leagues substance abuse policies. 

Edited by Bangarang

16 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Except, it’s not.

He could also be suspended under the leagues substance abuse policies. 

What's the NFL's policy on DUI when it comes to Adderall?  Has anyone been suspended for it?  And if he's got a script for it and a TUE, there's no substance abuse.

Edited by Doc

1 minute ago, Doc said:

What's the NFL's policy on DUI when it comes to Adderall?  And if he's got a script for it and a TUE, there's no substance abuse.

I haven’t read into the policy specifically in relation to Adderall. 

If he’s driving while impaired, prescription or not, it’s still a problem. 

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

What's the NFL's policy on DUI when it comes to Adderall?  Has anyone been suspended for it?  And if he's got a script for it and a TUE, there's no substance abuse.

People have been suspended for Adderall because the league lists it as a banned PED, or at least they did in the past. Sterling Shepard comes to mind.

Edited by sodbuster

1 hour ago, Doc said:

to my knowledge DUI is DUI and Adderall wouldn’t reduce it. If anything, he’d get an offense in the drug program in addition to the DUI and not a lesser punishment. 

but if he’s got a prescription and is registered with the league it would potentially change things in this hypothetical prescribed Adderall DUI... but it’s not in the dui policy and would need to be some variety of common sense appeal. 

only pause is if it’s bad enough usage to pop him for dui, odds are the league stance would be he was unlikely to be using it per his prescribed guidelines, potentially.  and he still has an open container issue. And potentially a gun issue. And all that extra risk for him may make his plea bargain a little less generous. And the league less likely to accept “I know I had an open container but was just on Adderall” appeal to them enforcing their policy. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

On what basis?

The league can pretty much do what they when it comes to discipline. If they deem the situation as making the league look bad, they can fine and/or suspend him.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

The league can pretty much do what they when it comes to discipline. If they deem the situation as making the league look bad, they can fine and/or suspend him.

drugs and dui are pretty spelled out in the CBA.

He’s got a good bit of exposure here it seems but the gun issue would be the only conduct detrimental concern. 

4 hours ago, Doc said:

So without a .08+ BAC, you think a jury would convict EO? 

My point was that, if Texas controlled substance is the same as Michigan, can't be under the influence of Schedule I-V.  With or without prescription.  Maybe his team can find an angle to get him off. Having a diagnosis and a prescription isn't it though.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

For sure.  Bob Kraft's guys come to mind...

A law school summer intern could have navigated Kraft's slam dunk defense.

5 hours ago, sodbuster said:

People have been suspended for Adderall because the league lists it as a banned PED, or at least they did in the past. Sterling Shepard comes to mind.

Yes, either because they're taking it in-season (performance enhancer) or don't have a TUE and are repeat offenders of the SAP.  BTW Shepard wasn't suspended.

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

to my knowledge DUI is DUI and Adderall wouldn’t reduce it. If anything, he’d get an offense in the drug program in addition to the DUI and not a lesser punishment. 

but if he’s got a prescription and is registered with the league it would potentially change things in this hypothetical prescribed Adderall DUI... but it’s not in the dui policy and would need to be some variety of common sense appeal. 

only pause is if it’s bad enough usage to pop him for dui, odds are the league stance would be he was unlikely to be using it per his prescribed guidelines, potentially.  and he still has an open container issue. And potentially a gun issue. And all that extra risk for him may make his plea bargain a little less generous. And the league less likely to accept “I know I had an open container but was just on Adderall” appeal to them enforcing their policy. 

This is what I've been getting at.  I haven't seen anywhere that DUI on Adderall is an NFL issue, much less a player being suspended for, it in it's almost 25 years of existence.  Adderall is only addressed as a PED or SA.

As for the other stuff, depends on if there was alcohol in the container, and even still, it's a class C misdemeanor.  Not sure the gun charge would stick without the DUI and if it does, even trigger anything.

Edited by Doc

7 hours ago, Doc said:

Yes, either because they're taking it in-season (performance enhancer) or don't have a TUE and are repeat offenders of the SAP.  BTW Shepard wasn't suspended.

This is what I've been getting at.  I haven't seen anywhere that DUI on Adderall is an NFL issue, much less a player being suspended for, it in it's almost 25 years of existence.  Adderall is only addressed as a PED or SA.

As for the other stuff, depends on if there was alcohol in the container, and even still, it's a class C misdemeanor.  Not sure the gun charge would stick without the DUI and if it does, even trigger anything.

I haven’t seen the latest CBA updates but last I saw the DUI policy it is simply under the influence, not of specific substances. You get popped for one you get X punishment. 

you likely haven’t seen a suspension as there have likely been few to no charges of the specific situation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 9:58 AM, plenzmd1 said:

yep, and 3 white cops pulling over a young black man have never erred in judgement before.

NOt saying he was or was not impaired, saying lets wait for the test results

hmm....wonder if anyone, after the last two weeks, has a difference of opinion now