Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If they still want to charge him with the DUI. Or even if it is over the limit that is how I see it playing out. 

Why would they still want to charge him with DUI if his BAC was just .03?  Just to be *****?  Wouldn't his attorney tell them "fine, see you in court"?

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He was apparently going 80mph in a 45 I don't know if when they caught up to him if it was still a construction area.

That's a speeding ticket.

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

If his BAC is under .08, especially .03, why would he plead guilty to anything?  That's not DUI and with no DUI there's no gun charge.  And as I said, if he admitted to being on Adderall, I'm sure he has a prescription, and thus a TUE.  But if there were no other drugs in his system (like Adderall), there's nothing there either.

The article says he took it in December and January leading to 3 failed tests over a 4-week period.  In any case, as I said above, Oliver probably has a TUE.  And we don't know if he was tested for it, much less tested positive.

You keep equating having a prescription with having a TUE.  

18 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Here is the headline:

Court records: Former UH star Ed Oliver admitted to drinking, taking Adderall prior to Houston DWI arrest

Here is the text:

The headline implies that Oliver admitted to drinking and taking alcohol happened a short time before the arrest. The text , however, says he had beer at 1 pm (at least 8 hrs prior to the arrest) and clearly says it is unclear when he took Adderall.

so that open beer between his legs was stuck to his crotch for like 10 hours?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You keep equating having a prescription with having a TUE. 

Nope.  I'm saying that if he admitted to being on Adderall, he likely has a prescription for it and also likely has a TUE.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Nope.  I'm saying that if he admitted to being on Adderall, he likely has a prescription for it and also likely has a TUE.

You said you were sure he had a prescription “and thus a TUE”.  There’s no reason to conclude this.  

I'm hoping big Ed learns from his bad decisions, he has potential to be good as long as he sets his priorities straight. being a man of imperfection myself and having to learn the hard way, I wont chastise or judge the young man in any way shape or form. I only wish him the best.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Here is the headline:

Court records: Former UH star Ed Oliver admitted to drinking, taking Adderall prior to Houston DWI arrest

Here is the text:

The headline implies that Oliver admitted to drinking and taking alcohol happened a short time before the arrest. The text , however, says he had beer at 1 pm (at least 8 hrs prior to the arrest) and clearly says it is unclear when he took Adderall.

Im sure he only had 1 beer...

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

It's one incident but it evolves multiple violations.  I think the people thinking it will just fall under the alcohol 3 games are not taking into account the other issues.

I think 6 games will be end result now with the additional substance abuse issue.

substance abuse is a CBA negotiated punishment, it’s separate from the dui, if he doesn’t have a script. It would simply be his (presumably but not definitely) first offense.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If he fails an nfl drug test 

nah, this could count as an offense.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

A prescription is not an NFL exemption.

Good call and important distinction that a few guys have flubbed before 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

My son was told by the cops and his attorney (and my wife was there to hear much of this) that even if he blew below .08 they would still arrest him for being under the influence, since he did have some alcohol. They also asked if he took any prescription meds, which he did, and they’d arrest him for being under the influence of that. Scare tactics? True? IDK. He had it on cruise control on a hilly, windy road, hit ponding water and hydro-planed into a front yard. Even the tow truck driver watching this with my wife said “there’s nothing wrong with him, this is BS!” 

Don’t get me wrong, he was NOT a saint, but sometimes they just decide how it’s going to go before they know the facts. 

How old was he? If under 21 it’s zero tolerance on consumption in many places.

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

How old was he? If under 21 it’s zero tolerance on consumption in many places.

I’m guessing 25 at the time. It was a pre-determined outcome. When the tow truck driver tells you wife “he’s getting screwed either way, they decided already”, the outcome is known. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You said you were sure he had a prescription “and thus a TUE”.  There’s no reason to conclude this.  

Fair enough.  Maybe he does have a TUE, maybe he doesn't.  It mostly academic anyway because it's likely the cops didn't test him for it, it's not a league-administered test and doesn't count assuming he did test positive for it, and it's the off-season and the worst he would get is referred to the substance abuse program (although I'm not sure if this is for anyone taking it or only those without a prescription, which would make more sense since it's a PED and there's no P to E in the off-season).

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I'm hoping big Ed learns from his bad decisions, he has potential to be good as long as he sets his priorities straight. being a man of imperfection myself and having to learn the hard way, I wont chastise or judge the young man in any way shape or form. I only wish him the best.

I have also made many, many terrible decisions. I just happen to be both quite gifted at driving and at speaking with authority figures, and...maybe more importantly, I'm a ginger, which is about as white as a person can be. Never overlook the advantage that provides when dealing with police. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Augie said:

My son was told by the cops and his attorney (and my wife was there to hear much of this) that even if he blew below .08 they would still arrest him for being under the influence, since he did have some alcohol. They also asked if he took any prescription meds, which he did, and they’d arrest him for being under the influence of that. Scare tactics? True? IDK. He had it on cruise control on a hilly, windy road, hit ponding water and hydro-planed into a front yard. Even the tow truck driver watching this with my wife said “there’s nothing wrong with him, this is BS!” 

Don’t get me wrong, he was NOT a saint, but sometimes they just decide how it’s going to go before they know the facts. 

Yep, you can get still in trouble under .08. Dwai or dui. In reality, you can get in trouble with any positive breath test. I'm going to guess 80% of the people trashing Oliver have drove, after consuming alcohol. 

Edited by BillsFan2313
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

It's one incident but it evolves multiple violations.  I think the people thinking it will just fall under the alcohol 3 games are not taking into account the other issues.

I think 6 games will be end result now with the additional substance abuse issue.

I think we should wait to see what is actually found.  You're saying "additional substance abuse issue" before you know if there's a substance abuse issue at all.

According to the "court record" thing posted (which I don't understand, because there hasn't been a court date set yet), Oliver said he is "taking Adderall" but if he has a prescription, that is not a crime.  It may or may not be against NFL policy, depending upon whether he has a therapeutic use exemption.

Texas does not require that a firearm be registered, so the weapons violation is only in the context of another crime, the DWI.  

If the DWI proves out, it's there.  If it doesn't, it's gone.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Doc said:

Fair enough.  Maybe he does have a TUE, maybe he doesn't.  It mostly academic anyway because it's likely the cops didn't test him for it, it's not a league-administered test and doesn't count assuming he did test positive for it, and it's the off-season and the worst he would get is referred to the substance abuse program (although I'm not sure if this is for anyone taking it or only those without a prescription, which would make more sense since it's a PED and there's no P to E in the off-season).

Why would it being the offseason matter?  Does the league have separate rules for the offseason? Can players take anabolic steroids in the off season (no P or E in the off season)?

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we should wait to see what is actually found.  You're saying "additional substance abuse issue" before you know if there's a substance abuse issue at all.

According to the "court record" thing posted (which I don't understand, because there hasn't been a court date set yet), Oliver said he is "taking Adderall" but if he has a prescription, that is not a crime.  It may or may not be against NFL policy, depending upon whether he has a therapeutic use exemption.

Texas does not require that a firearm be registered, so the weapons violation is only in the context of another crime, the DWI.  

If the DWI proves out, it's there.  If it doesn't, it's gone.

I was just going off the article which listed those three things.

In terms of NFL, it's a pretty simple rule for adderall, if found with it in offseason it is substance abuse, if found during playing season it's performance enhancing.

Adderall has become one of the most abused drugs out there right now.  My guess is that he didn't have a prescription if he admitted to using it.   It is getting incredibly tough to get prescriptions from Doctors due to what the drug has become.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would it being the offseason matter?  Does the league have separate rules for the offseason? Can players take anabolic steroids in the off season (no P or E in the off season)?

I'm certainly not an expert on the rules or the reasons for them but some of these might have long-lasting effects while others might not last beyond the day they are taken.

Just now, JESSEFEFFER said:

I'm certainly not an expert on the rules or the reasons for them but some of these might have long-lasting effects while others might not last beyond the day they are taken.

Which is why the rules are what they are.  No need for the league to try to parse out the drug half-lives and look at calendars.  There is no pass during the off-season.

Off-Season: Players under contract who are not otherwise subject to reasonable cause testing may be tested during the off-season months at the discretion of the Independent Administrator, subject to the collectively bargained maximum of six (including blood tests) off-season tests. Players to be tested in the off-season will be selected on the same basis 6 (2018) as during the regular season, irrespective of their off-season locations. Any Player selected for testing during the off-season will be required to furnish a urine specimen at a convenient location acceptable to the Independent Administrator, subject to the qualification set forth in Section 3.2 for specimen collections occurring away from the Club facility. Only Players who advise in writing that they have retired from the NFL will be removed from the testing pool. If, however, a Player thereafter signs a contract with a Club, he will be placed back in the testing pool.

On 5/17/2020 at 6:00 AM, Gambit said:

It's so sad how stupid people can be. I'm glad we brought in quite a lot of defensive lineman seeing as this dumbass will most likely be suspended for part of the season. 

Yes, it is stupid of him. This can either shock him into reality or he can go down the path of ruination. I remember when Bruce Smith was suspended for four games. That seemed to ignite a new man in him and he became an unbelievable player. Right now Ed needs to make a decision. 

• Like (+1) 1