Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

7 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

No one worried about him having character issues.

The problem on the sideline was over Oliver wearing a coat. The coach, Applewhite gets the benefit on the doubt why? Especially when people like Simms called out how poorly Applewhite treated him while at Texas...

Remind me again, where is Applewhite is coaching these day, because it certainly ain't Houston.

He's at Alabama. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

No one worried about him having character issues.

The problem on the sideline was over Oliver wearing a coat. The coach, Applewhite gets the benefit on the doubt why? Especially when people like Simms called out how poorly Applewhite treated him while at Texas...

Remind me again, where is Applewhite is coaching these day, because it certainly ain't Houston.

He’s actually not a coach at this point. He went back to Bama as an analyst.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm glad you turned it around.  But your experience is your own.  I posted info easily researched.  You posted your personal story.  Why would that make me ignorant?

Maybe this guy will stop cold turkey.  It's at least as likely that he won't. 

There was nothing I turned around.  My life wasn't much different before or after I made the decision, because it never had any negative consequences.  I've always been an infrequent social drinker, I just got a little older and a little wiser, and chances are good Ed will also.

Here's a link from NHTSA showing the repeat rate of DWI offenders averages around 33 percent:  https://one.nhtsa.gov/people/outreach/traftech/1995/tt085.htm

Here's also a self reporting study by the CDC showing the rate of impaired driving is highest in 21 to 24 year olds and decreases after that.  Table 1 showing this is near the bottom of the document (past the main text and source citations):

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6039a4.htm

While ~33% is too a high rate of repeat offenders, people convicted are NOT equally likely to have future convictions, as you are trying to say.  I'd also bet there are many like me who took too many risks thinking they're ok to drive but grow up on their own without needing an actual accident or arrest.   

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

How is a guy freaking out on his head coach, having to be physically restrained, over a COAT, an issue?

All of this while knowing that all eyes are on you, as a projected top-ten draft pick?

Listen, I'm not saying that the coat incident makes him a degenerate, but it was concerning to a bunch of people.

I think the real question is, why wasn't he allowed to wear a coat. Seems like a stupid rule. 

Where Major Applewhite now? An analyst at Bama? 

Speaking of character issues, who remembers when had inappropriate relations with a student, when he was the OC at Texas...

Edited by BillsFan2313

31 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

I think the real question is, why wasn't he allowed to wear a coat. Seems like a stupid rule. 

Where Major Applewhite now? An analyst at Bama? 

Speaking of character issues, who remembers when had inappropriate relations with a student, when he was the OC

Applewhite  is generally thought of as a bad coach and Worse recruiter. I think the coat issue was that the coats were there for the active players because it was raining/cold (can’t remember specifics) and they wanted them to be warm while in the sidelines. He wasn’t active that night due to injury but was on the sidelines. Coach told him to take it off because they were intended for players who were coming off of the field. 

Ed:

231925F0-38B6-4A38-A158-E12638237A81.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Agree to disagree.  The problem with this argument is it's going to be subjective to your own personal life and experiences.  While I think everybody would agree what Ed did was wrong and getting behind the wheel after some pops is WRONG in general..if you are someone that never did that in your life I can see why you would think it's inexcusable under any circumstances.  For those of us that lived that lifestyle when we were young and dumb I think we can empathize seeing a young person make the same stupid mistakes that we had to learn and grow up from.  I will say this though it sounds like you weren't around the bar and party scene when you were younger which is fine but I promise you there's a HUGE population of kids that age that will drive after having some drinks and it's usually just because a lot of kids are inexperienced in life and think they are invincible at that stage, not that they think they are putting anybody in danger.  Most grow out of that but obviously not all.  As for the adult population that drives under the influence that is an entirely different demographic where there are probably more issues going on like alcoholism, depression etc.   

Well I was never into the party scene in my early 20s but I can certainly empathize with someone who made decisions in their life around that age their not proud of.  I’ve had my share.

But no getting around it the DWI and gun charge together just isn’t good.  Especially now 

What’s done is done though.   I’m a believer in taking personal responsibility for your actions.  That’s where I’d like to see Ed learn 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Applewhite  is generally thought of as a bad coach and Worse recruiter. I think the coat issue was that the coats were there for the active players because it was raining/cold (can’t remember specifics) and they wanted them to be warm while in the sidelines. He wasn’t active that night due to injury but was on the sidelines. Coach told him to take it off because they were intended for players who were coming off of the field. 

Ed:

231925F0-38B6-4A38-A158-E12638237A81.jpeg

Yeah, I remember the active only players rule, just still find it kind of a stupid rule. I mean I am sure they can afford coats for the whole teams. It was a rule Major Applewhite instilled. 

19 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Yeah, I remember the active only players rule, just still find it kind of a stupid rule. I mean I am sure they can afford coats for the whole teams. It was a rule Major Applewhite instilled. 

I don’t understand it either. Inactive players are always wearing coats on the sideline for other teams. 

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t understand it either. Inactive players are always wearing coats on the sideline for other teams. 

I think he singled out Oliver because the thought was Oliver could have played but didn't want to risk another injury and hurt his draft position. So the coach was angry because he wanted him to play.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TSNBDSC said:

General question for all, how many games suspended do you think he'll get ? I think 4 reduced to 2.

I think it will be two but it won't be till next year.

This stuff happens to players on every team. Will take it as a blessing that he was caught, didn't hurt himself or others, and will hopefully not make such a mistake again. 

These mistakes can happen to anyone rich or poor - it's about impaired judgement when drunk, and not being around the correct people to take the keys away.

2 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

There was nothing I turned around.  My life wasn't much different before or after I made the decision, because it never had any negative consequences.  I've always been an infrequent social drinker, I just got a little older and a little wiser, and chances are good Ed will also.

Here's a link from NHTSA showing the repeat rate of DWI offenders averages around 33 percent:  https://one.nhtsa.gov/people/outreach/traftech/1995/tt085.htm

Here's also a self reporting study by the CDC showing the rate of impaired driving is highest in 21 to 24 year olds and decreases after that.  Table 1 showing this is near the bottom of the document (past the main text and source citations):

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6039a4.htm

While ~33% is too a high rate of repeat offenders, people convicted are NOT equally likely to have future convictions, as you are trying to say.  I'd also bet there are many like me who took too many risks thinking they're ok to drive but grow up on their own without needing an actual accident or arrest.   

This was discussed in detail yesterday.  I first posted the recidivism rate you are now posting.  That's a national average.  The lowest state was 21%, the highest was 47% (California).  I discussed that as well (not "equally" likely).  Also that comparing the fatality data from 2008 to 2017, the incidence of BAL over .08 went up in older adults and down in young adults as a % of the total, leading the NHTSA to conclude:  "The 10-year trend of alcohol-impaired drivers involved increased for older drivers when compared to younger drivers."

50 minutes ago, TSNBDSC said:

General question for all, how many games suspended do you think he'll get ? I think 4 reduced to 2.

Depends on if he pleads guilty or is convicted of the DWI. If he is, 2 games is the baseline there and in 2021 because it generally takes that long for the court system to play out. If the gun charge Is dropped it will stay at 2 because no other aggravating circumstances like crashed car, etc. Could be 3 or 4 if gun charge sticks I suppose. 

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Depends on if he pleads guilty or is convicted of the DWI. If he is, 2 games is the baseline there and in 2021 because it generally takes that long for the court system to play out. If the gun charge Is dropped it will stay at 2 because no other aggravating circumstances like crashed car, etc. Could be 3 or 4 if gun charge sticks I suppose. 

I think it will depend on his BAC. If the posters friend has good information, and Olivers BAC was .03, there is no DWI. The gun "charge" is only an accelerant to the DWI and isn't illegal on its own. Open container is a class C misdemeanor, non-moving violation, can be expunged, max fine of $500. Unsure how gun laws will work in TX and if having a gun can increase the open container charge. 

There is a possibility he sees no suspension if the DWI is dropped. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I think he singled out Oliver because the thought was Oliver could have played but didn't want to risk another injury and hurt his draft position. So the coach was angry because he wanted him to play.

He didn't blow up because he couldn't wear a coat. The coach was being a dick to Oliver and Oliver didn't seem to take it well.  He took it as a big ***** you, I don't care about you. Ed let him know how he felt about that. 

23 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think it will depend on his BAC. If the posters friend has good information, and Olivers BAC was .03, there is no DWI. The gun "charge" is only an accelerant to the DWI and isn't illegal on its own. Open container is a class C misdemeanor, non-moving violation, can be expunged, max fine of $500. Unsure how gun laws will work in TX and if having a gun can increase the open container charge. 

There is a possibility he sees no suspension if the DWI is dropped. 

I did not see that reported anywhere...but having said that, I think, and stress only think, based on the cop saying he thought he was impaired by something other than alcohol, the blood test was mandatory.   Maybe someone in Texas or a lawyer could confirm how that works?

And if all ya need is for a cop to say i think you are  intoxicated with another substance, and they can draw blood based on that, all i can say is s that I am suoper happy i do not live in Texas