Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Frankly, you should have stopped there. 

Drinking and driving is done by adults of all ages.  You don't "grow out of it", like, say cow tipping.  If you were to take a moment to familiarize yourself with DWI recidivism, you would know that repeat offenders account for anywhere between 21% and almost 50% of arrests, depending on the state---and that's just the number who are caught.  The average age of offenders is 30.  So before you mention the word "ignorant" in the future, help yourself out lest you look, well....ignorant.

And the frequency at which people commonly repeat a nonsensical explanation as an excuse does not make it any less bizarre. 

The stats you provided do not show that you don't grow out of it.  If it's anywhere from 21%-50% (that's a very wide range) are repeat offenders, that means anywhere from 50%-79% are not repeat offenders.  I think it would be naive to say that age has nothing to do with it.  

According to DUI statistics, the average person who was convicted of a DUI drove 80 times drunk before their first arrest.  

When I was younger, a long with a lot of my friends, we did drive under the influence many times in our 20's.  Now that I'm 38, I don't even know when is the last time I got drunk.  I still drink but I haven't been over the BAC limit in probably 5-6 years.  I just don't like getting drunk anymore because I grew out of it.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

19 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

None of those things make my original point less true: "to extrapolate that all 22 years continue to drink into their adult lives, because there exists adults that drink and drive, is, frankly, nonsensical."  Now, obviously there is recidivism.  However, the neither means that people who drink and drive at a young age will continue to do so into adulthood nor that one must be caught drinking and driving before that behavior ceases.  In fact, the facts you cite actually go the opposite way: they imply that after people are caught drinking and driving, they are less likely to do so in the future. 

Also, bizarre literally means "very strange or unsual."  When I say that your claim is "by definition" the opposite of "bizarre." I am being literal.  "Frequency" quite literally makes something bizarre or not bizarre. 

This is some data from 2017.  After the age group of 21-24...it goes down every year.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812630

It's table 3.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is some data from 2017.  After the age group of 21-24...it goes down every year.

It's table 3.

Mr. WEO is a classic example of someone who is smart enough to look up statistics, but not smart enough to understand them or wise of enough to accept he doesn't understand them. He is why we have anti-vaxxers, global warming deniers, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My friends dad growing up was an absolute alcoholic.  I noticed it when it was obvious as a kid but my older brother told me that you always smelled it on his breath.

For little league baseball games, he would have his Thermos filled with beer and every parent could smell it on his breath.  This was in the 80's and all the other parents just thought it was kinda funny.  Like Otis from the Andy Griffith Show.  

No way he can do that now.

My dad in the 70's got so hammered driving home that he drove off the road and into a ditch.  His engine popped out and was lying in the grass.  The Cop knew who my dad was and called the Police Station to contact his brother to come and pick him up.  

VERY different times in terms of what is commonly acceptable and what you can get away with. After going thru this processs with our son blowing a .082 I became ultra careful about not making that type of mistake. 

Some people where we lived in Florida got their kid off of a DUI with a fancy lawyer. Then they did it AGAIN. The third time he killed a cop in a drunk driving accident. Maybe if they let him face the music the first two times he would not have gone off to prison for a very long stretch and more importantly that man’s family would not have been devastated. Being a parent means making some tough calls. We just try to do our best. 

Edited by Augie

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Drinking and driving is done by adults of all ages.  You don't "grow out of it", like, say cow tipping.  If you were to take a moment to familiarize yourself with DWI recidivism, you would know that repeat offenders account for anywhere between 21% and almost 50% of arrests, depending on the state---and that's just the number who are caught.  The average age of offenders is 30.  So before you mention the word "ignorant" in the future, help yourself out lest you look, well....ignorant.

And the frequency at which people commonly repeat a nonsensical explanation as an excuse does not make it any less bizarre. 

Wow.  Guess what sunshine?  Plenty of people DO grow out of it.  I'm one of them.  In my middle twenties my friends and I wouldn't drive if we were "too drunk" but all liked to think we could handle our alcohol and drink "just enough" to still be ok to drive home.  Until that one time I thought I was ok and the alcohol caught up when I got behind the wheel.  God blessed me that night and I realized how lucky I was and that was that.  Out of my seven other drinking buddies they all realized it too, only one got caught and had to do rehab (the rehab people were astonished they made him go), but it worked for him also.  All by the age of 30.  No excuse for what we did.  The rest of us were lucky we were never caught.  But perceived invulnerability in our stupid brains certainly played a role.  Wisdom in our group was very much lacking back then.

Repeat offenders who have a chronic problem are the most likely to get caught because they do it most often.  And yes, drinking and driving is done at all ages but for you to declare that no one grows out of it is its own ignorance.  Continue to wallow in your interpretation of those statistics.

You should do a poll on here and ask if Mr.  WEO is ignorant or open minded when discussing topics?   I think most of us know how that would turn out.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

You know there was a mandatory blood draw as part of the arrest right?

You know people work in those locations and or do the draw and testing right?  

and that Leaks happen right? 

You know that's a HIPAA violation right?  Your friend is ok with you discussing where the info came from on a public BB?

8 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

You know that's a HIPAA violation right?  Your friend is ok with you discussing where the info came from on a public BB?

It isn’t. HIPPA laws are on those that have the requirement to PROTECT the Information. I can tell you he had NO obligation to protect the information. 

just like I can walk into a hospital. And if I see a Chart I can take the picture and release. HIPPA does not apply to me. 

so yes the Hospital Violated HIPPA. My Buddy didn’t. 

additionally HIPPA won’t apply because this incident falls under 2 of the 12 National release priorities 

Law Enforcement

Criminal Proceedings

Edited by MAJBobby

45 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

None of those things make my original point less true: "to extrapolate that all 22 years continue to drink into their adult lives, because there exists adults that drink and drive, is, frankly, nonsensical."  Now, obviously there is recidivism.  However, the neither means that people who drink and drive at a young age will continue to do so into adulthood nor that one must be caught drinking and driving before that behavior ceases.  In fact, the facts you cite actually go the opposite way: they imply that after people are caught drinking and driving, they are less likely to do so in the future. 

Also, bizarre literally means "very strange or unsual."  When I say that your claim is "by definition" the opposite of "bizarre." I am being literal.  "Frequency" quite literally makes something bizarre or not bizarre. 

"very strange"---I'd go with that.  

Your point was clear---this was a "mistake" we can attribute to his youth and he is unlikely to make the same error in judgement again.  The statistics for his crime tell us you are wrong on both counts.  The odds are significant that he will do the same and get caught doing the same.  A national average of recidivism (remember--these are only the ones getting caught) is 30%, all states (47% in California).  That's a high incidence for a group of people who "have learned their lesson".  1 million drivers are busted DDWI annually, but it is estimated that 300,000 a day are driving drunk--so cops catch them 1% of the time.   Estimates are that a person has driven drunk 80 times before they are caught once.  So, really, I have no inclination to conclude this particular guy is going to never drink and get behind the wheel again. 

And 22 is not a "young age"---it is "adulthood". 

12 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Wow.  Guess what sunshine?  Plenty of people DO grow out of it.  I'm one of them.  In my middle twenties my friends and I wouldn't drive if we were "too drunk" but all liked to think we could handle our alcohol and drink "just enough" to still be ok to drive home.  Until that one time I thought I was ok and the alcohol caught up when I got behind the wheel.  God blessed me that night and I realized how lucky I was and that was that.  Out of my seven other drinking buddies they all realized it too, only one got caught and had to do rehab (the rehab people were astonished they made him go), but it worked for him also.  All by the age of 30.  No excuse for what we did.  The rest of us were lucky we were never caught.  But perceived invulnerability in our stupid brains certainly played a role.  Wisdom in our group was very much lacking back then.

Repeat offenders who have a chronic problem are the most likely to get caught because they do it most often.  And yes, drinking and driving is done at all ages but for you to declare that no one grows out of it is its own ignorance.  Continue to wallow in your interpretation of those statistics.

You should do a poll on here and ask if Mr.  WEO is ignorant or open minded when discussing topics?   I think most of us know how that would turn out.

I'm glad you turned it around.  But your experience is your own.  I posted info easily researched.  You posted your personal story.  Why would that make me ignorant?

Maybe this guy will stop cold turkey.  It's at least as likely that he won't. 

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

Some people where we lived in Florida got their kid off of a DUI with a fancy lawyer. Then they did it AGAIN. The third time he killed a cop in a drunk driving accident. Maybe if they let him face the music the first two times he would not have gone off to prison for a very long stretch and more importantly that man’s family would not have been devastated. Being a parent means making some tough calls. We just try to do our best. 

That's why when we got in trouble we all knew our parents maxim "you are on your own, don't call us".  Us brothers had to go save one another once and a while but we knew our parents were going to side with the authorities.  Made us a little wiser a lot sooner.

Edited by freddyjj

39 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Mr. WEO is a classic example of someone who is smart enough to look up statistics, but not smart enough to understand them or wise of enough to accept he doesn't understand them. He is why we have anti-vaxxers, global warming deniers, etc. 

See below.  You've wisely offered no statistical info. 

45 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's table 3.

To reduce alcohol-related fatal crashes among youth, all states have adopted a minimum legal drinking age of 21. NHTSA estimates that minimum-drinking-age laws have saved 31,959 lives from 1975 to 2017.

Yet in 2018 the highest percentage of drunk drivers (with BACs of .08 g/dL or higher) were 21- to 24-year-olds, at 27%, followed by 25- to 34-year-olds, at 26%. Men are most likely to be involved in this type of crash, with 4 male drunk drivers for every female drunk driver.

And it is still 23% are 35-44.  So the droppoff from young adulthood to middle age (45) is not significant.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can see him stepping back into  shoes at the end - look like maybe some kind of loafers, maybe couldn't walk as required in them

That would make sense. I didn't think of it while watching it. I was just thrown off.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

See below.  You've wisely offered no statistical info. 

To reduce alcohol-related fatal crashes among youth, all states have adopted a minimum legal drinking age of 21. NHTSA estimates that minimum-drinking-age laws have saved 31,959 lives from 1975 to 2017.

Yet in 2018 the highest percentage of drunk drivers (with BACs of .08 g/dL or higher) were 21- to 24-year-olds, at 27%, followed by 25- to 34-year-olds, at 26%. Men are most likely to be involved in this type of crash, with 4 male drunk drivers for every female drunk driver.

And it is still 23% are 35-44.  So the droppoff from young adulthood to middle age (45) is not significant.

Weo, the 21-24 is a 3 years age range.  35-44 is a 9 years age range.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Curious if Oliver dips. If the .03 ends up being true, keeping the can/bottle between his legs is a wild move that makes no sense...unless he used it as a spit cup and didn't think anything of it. 

Maybe he was trying  to keep the earth clean by not throwing it out the window ?

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Weo, the 21-24 is a 3 years age range.  35-44 is a 9 years age range.  

I get that.

It's still the percent of the total busted who fall into each group.  An arrest for DWI is as likely to be 21-24 year old as it is to be someone in their late 20's to mid 30'.  And almost the as likely as someone 35-44.  So, as age cohorts, there is not a significant drop off as people age.  

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I get that.

It's still the percent of the total busted who fall into each group.  An arrest for DWI is as likely to be 21-24 year old as it is to be someone in their late 20's to mid 30'.  And almost the as likely as someone 35-44.  So, as age cohorts, there is not a significant drop off as people age.  

Wait, the 21-24 age group has 26%, and the three 3 years age ranges following that average 8.67%, and you don’t see that as a decrease? 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I get that.

Whats the percentage of people ages 41-44?  If you take away ages 35-40, will it still be 23%?
Or will it be lower?

People do grow up and look at consequences more than they did when they were younger.  Its just human nature.  There’s a phrase called “young and dumb”. 

Ive never had a DUI and have been very lucky.  Im not lucky anymore because I don’t need it because I don’t drink to the point where I would get a DUI.  The same goes for so many people I know.  People grow out of things whether you want to believe it or not.

I had a Mustang when I was 21.  I used to go on the highway and do over 100 mph in stretches.  I don’t do that anymore either.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think there are enough anecdotes in this thread from which I can make an informed decision. 

I would like to get the perspective of people over 30 who still drive impaired and have never gotten a DWI.  Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm sorry but you sound completely ignorant by saying people don't grow out of drinking and driving.  I'd say that is one of the most common stupid things young adults do when they are in that age range.  I'm not sure what your background is and maybe you were in the service or something and matured at an earlier age than your peers or something and kudos to you if that's the case but a 22 year old is still a college-aged kid at that time.  An adult technically but for anybody that remembers what life is like for a 22 year old that is still the knucklehead stage.  22 was probably the craziest year of my life.  You still feel invincible at that age.  I don't have a clue what the percentage is but I promise you that the number of people who drive intoxicated in their early 20's that grows out of it is extremely higher than the percentage of people who will drive intoxicated for the rest of their life.  

Edited by BillsPride12
  • Like (+1) 1