Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah If my friend is right these charges will be dismissed pretty quickly as there is no DWI with that BAC. Guess we will find out if my friend is right 

Curious if Oliver dips. If the .03 ends up being true, keeping the can/bottle between his legs is a wild move that makes no sense...unless he used it as a spit cup and didn't think anything of it. 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You know there was a mandatory blood draw as part of the arrest right?

You know people work in those locations and or do the draw and testing right?  

and that Leaks happen right? 

Simple joke man.

9 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Open container is a misdemeanor in Texas, which in and of itself makes the gun possession a misdemeanor. Even without DUI, these are arrestable offenses.

not really true. 

Can you be Arrested for Open Container in Texas?

Texas law says that you can only be issued a citation for an open container violation. However, if there is another violation the police could charge you with, then you can be arrested for that violation.

so Oliver’s case the DWI makes the Gun and the Open container also arrestable 

6 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

.04 is still chargeable, no?

Could but unlikely as DUI is normally used for Minors 

In Texas, DWI is a more serious crime. DUIs are only charged to minors under the Texas Traffic Code. Because a DUI is charged when any amount of alcohol is found in their system, it is much easier to be found guilty, however.

DWIs are charged under the Texas Penal Code, which makes it a serious offense. Penalties can range from heavy fines to time in jail or prison.

Although you should not take either charge lightly, the consequences of a DWI are more severe than a DUI.

No court Date set yet either. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Guess what Ed Oliver didn't do? Any of that. Putting him in the class as murderers, yeah, I cant agree with you on that. If you are so rah rah about it, and work in the field. Then do something about it,  to it being taken more seriously. Maybe like one our local dr who killed a girl, but got away with it. Sad that mothers against drunk driving, do more for it to be taken seriously, then people who "worked on many cases"

The work I did was for MADD.

No one was killed because of blind luck.  His actions were just as culpable as any other drunk driver around he just got lucky. He isn't a murderer, yet, but if the charges against him are proven, he is a criminal and again, we do him no favors by diminishing the severity of his actions by passing it off as a "stupid thing" by a "kid" who, after all didn't actually hurt anybody that night. I have the phone numbers of some moms who still grieve if you'd like to give them a shout and explain how we shouldn't be so rah-rah about drunk driving. I am sure they would be interested in your view point.

Hopefully, lesson learned.

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

No one was killed because of blind luck.  His actions were just as culpable as any other drunk driver around he just got lucky. He isn't a murderer, yet, but if the charges against him are proven, he is a criminal and again, we do him no favors by diminishing the severity of his actions by passing it off as a "stupid thing" by a "kid" who, after all didn't actually hurt anybody that night. I have the phone numbers of some moms who still grieve if you'd like to give them a shout and explain how we shouldn't be so rah-rah about drunk driving. I am sure they would be interested in your view point.

The fact he didn’t hurt anyone will give him a pass, but in reality it shouldn’t.

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

No you didn't 

Mistakes happen. I am actively involved with MADD, so sure, throw me some numbers. 

Again, why did the local dr get away with he did? if you are so involved? 

54 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Hearing from friends in Houston that his BAC came back 0.03% and no other drugs in system. 

again just based on them I have not seen it verified or even released in any other location. 

Let's hope.  And that he learned a lesson from it.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

No you didn't 

Mistakes happen. I am actively involved with MADD, so sure, throw me some numbers. 

Again, why did the local dr get away with he did? if you are so involved? 

My work was where I live, not Buffalo and it was between 2001 and 2009. Does your active involvement include excusing or making light of a guy drunk driving a pickup pulling a trailer with an ATV on it, an open beer between his legs and in possession of a fire arm while weaving in an out of his lane? The organization kind of frowned on that back when I was involved. 

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Hopefully, lesson learned.

The fact he didn’t hurt anyone will give him a pass, but in reality it shouldn’t.

Agreed. Just hope he learns from it, so many do not.

51 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

not really true. 

Can you be Arrested for Open Container in Texas?

Texas law says that you can only be issued a citation for an open container violation. However, if there is another violation the police could charge you with, then you can be arrested for that violation.

so Oliver’s case the DWI makes the Gun and the Open container also arrestable 

Could but unlikely as DUI is normally used for Minors 

In Texas, DWI is a more serious crime. DUIs are only charged to minors under the Texas Traffic Code. Because a DUI is charged when any amount of alcohol is found in their system, it is much easier to be found guilty, however.

DWIs are charged under the Texas Penal Code, which makes it a serious offense. Penalties can range from heavy fines to time in jail or prison.

Although you should not take either charge lightly, the consequences of a DWI are more severe than a DUI.

No court Date set yet either. 

Thanks. I think  MAJ'Bobby's posts on this matter deserve a new thread. By itself each of Ed's "Offenses" appear mild:

a. Sobriety test: From video it appeared he did decently

b. driving erratically but 0.03% blood alcohol - should not lead to a DWI conviction

c. having a gun in the car - this happened in Texas, man!

The main concern is that b. and c. happened together. I understand now the reason for the arrest - by itself neither b. nor c. would have led to the arrest. But leaving the arrest aside, the key question still unanswered is - can we assume he would be let out with probation since neither, by itself, appeared to be a "crime". Or does the combination also lead to post arrest legal implications?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the consequences for Oliver may not be too severe (though he will likely sit a couple of games). That is probably the reason the Bills are allowing him to continue in the offseason program. If it was more serious (like the DeAndre Baker situation), he would likely have been asked by the team (like Baker) to not show up.

That being said, this was pretty serious and could have led to something dangerous. It is not clear how long he had been driving erratically. I hope the young man learns a lesson.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

@Mickey

Man, you are reaching.

Yeah, my job does give the chance for someone to redeem from his mistake. That's my work. I made mistakes when I was younger, two DWAI's , didn't hurt anyone, and now help as much as possible. Should I be in jail for not hurting anyone, and turning my life around?. He didn't hurt anyone. Again, if you are so rah rah about kids making mistakes, do something about it. You act like you have the power to do so. Change the laws.

until then, pipe it down. 

Edited by BillsFan2313
sorry, didn't quote you

8 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Driving while intoxicated (assuming he was which sorry, imo is a safe assumption) with a gun in your car is a poor decision. I am not trying to force you to agree with me, this is simply how I feel.

Do you think I like this? I am not getting any younger and want the Bills to win a Super Bowl. I didn't want this to happen and I view it as a very avoidable mistake.

I happen to also be an Alabama Fan. Reuben Foster broke my heart, whereas I think that he could have been the best linebacker in the NFL bar none (once again, jmo). He just kept getting collared for domestic assaults and a host of other crimes. He seems to have tossed away mega millions of dollars and a good life. I do NOT put Oliver in this class!!!!!!!!!! But, imo it is obvious that he needs to make better decisions.

I agree wholeheartedly on the DWI and also with @Inigo Montoya on personally having a low tolerance for DWI; I haven't worked in ERs for 30 years at this point but I did my time and saw enough effects that I'm like, "Dude, you drinkin' more than my Granny*** advises, Just Don't Drive". 

I disagree on the gun and the (earlier post) point about the Uber.  I was all-in on it until I saw the pic of the ATV being towed and looked up the road where he was stopped.  He was evidently coming back from ATVing in a rural area.  There are parts of this country where a firearm is a tool, rural Texas be one of those parts.  And Uber is probably not available.  But, that said, he could have still avoided the situation in three different ways: 1) prehire or pre-arrange a designated driver or professional driver - gotta be enough folks who need the $$ 2) drink as Hapless granny advises 3) pause - get a room, take a nap, and let the alcohol wear off.  Not that hard.

***Hapless Granny was a "flapper" and a Hot Young Thing who grew up drinking bathtub gin and visiting speakeasies in the 1920's

She had the following Instructional Rhyme for Teens I share with y'all for general educational purposes:

"I'm not a big Drinker, Two at the most.   Three under the table, Four under the Host"
     Makes the point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Heck, I learned this from my parents and their friends! When we were leaving to go out to dinner they would all pour a drink for the ride to the restaurant. My girlfriends dad and his buddy would pick us up at the movies with a drink in hand and on occasion they went down the snow bank encased road like a kid bowling with the bumpers down. I remember cops pulling people over who were wasted and the cop just followed them home at like 5 MPH to their house at the end of the block. 

It is certainly VERY different these days, but depending upon your age, you may have experienced when is was quite common to drink and derive, sometimes even to excess. The world is a different place now in many ways, and this is one of them......but I’m not so naive to think this has gone away entirely.

My friends dad growing up was an absolute alcoholic.  I noticed it when it was obvious as a kid but my older brother told me that you always smelled it on his breath.

For little league baseball games, he would have his Thermos filled with beer and every parent could smell it on his breath.  This was in the 80's and all the other parents just thought it was kinda funny.  Like Otis from the Andy Griffith Show.  

No way he can do that now.

My dad in the 70's got so hammered driving home that he drove off the road and into a ditch.  His engine popped out and was lying in the grass.  The Cop knew who my dad was and called the Police Station to contact his brother to come and pick him up.  

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You think if he didn't get caught that he would not have done the same thing next weekend?  Next year? 5 years from now?  When would he have decided he would not haul a trailer while drinking? 

Why wouldn't he?  It's not something you necessarily grow out of.  A 17 year old knows it's wrong.  This is a man of 22.  32 and 42 and 52 year olds do this same thing.  Some get caught multiple times and still don't change.

His age is a bizarre excuse.

Gave them cause for the arrest and blood test. 

A "bizarre excuse?" Age is literally the first thing out of people's mouths when these sorts of stories come out! The fact that the "excuse" is typically the first response to these situations makes the "excuse" by definition the opposite of bizarre. 

You are missing a breathtaking amount of context when you say "This is a man of 22. 32 and 42 and 52 years old do the same thing."  It is, on its face true. But, to extrapolate that all 22 years continue to drink into their adult lives, because their exists adults that drink and drive, is, frankly, nonsensical.  Now, it is true that he may not have been one of those people to grow out of that behavior, neither of us knows, but to suggest that he absolutely would not have grown out of that behavior if he had not been caught is at best wrong and at worst ignorant. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Hearing from friends in Houston that his BAC came back 0.03% and no other drugs in system. 

again just based on them I have not seen it verified or even released in any other location. 

If true and he was not DWI, then the weapon becomes no longer unlawful as well.

13 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

I didn't want to go through all 39 pages... But did anyone figure out why he is barefoot?

You can see him stepping back into  shoes at the end - look like maybe some kind of loafers, maybe couldn't walk as required in them

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can see him stepping back into  shoes at the end - look like maybe some kind of loafers, maybe couldn't walk as required in them

Ed must have borrowed Isiah McKenzie's shoes, that dude falls down on his own every other play?

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If true and he was not DWI, then the weapon becomes no longer unlawful as well.

authoritative guide to field sobriety tests

https://www.minicklaw.com/attacking-walk-turn-field-sobriety-test/

Footwear – Any person wearing footwear with two-inch (or higher) heels should be given the option to remove footwear before performing these tests. However, performing the tests barefoot could create additional reasons why an individual might have trouble performing the tests to the satisfaction of the officer.

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

A "bizarre excuse?" Age is literally the first thing out of people's mouths when these sorts of stories come out! The fact that the "excuse" is typically the first response to these situations makes the "excuse" by definition the opposite of bizarre. 

You are missing a breathtaking amount of context when you say "This is a man of 22. 32 and 42 and 52 years old do the same thing."  It is, on its face true. But, to extrapolate that all 22 years continue to drink into their adult lives, because their exists adults that drink and drive, is, frankly, nonsensical.  Now, it is true that he may not have been one of those people to grow out of that behavior, neither of us knows, but to suggest that he absolutely would not have grown out of that behavior if he had not been caught is at best wrong and at worst ignorant. 

Frankly, you should have stopped there. 

Drinking and driving is done by adults of all ages.  You don't "grow out of it", like, say cow tipping.  If you were to take a moment to familiarize yourself with DWI recidivism, you would know that repeat offenders account for anywhere between 21% and almost 50% of arrests, depending on the state---and that's just the number who are caught.  The average age of offenders is 30.  So before you mention the word "ignorant" in the future, help yourself out lest you look, well....ignorant.

And the frequency at which people commonly repeat a nonsensical explanation as an excuse does not make it any less bizarre. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Frankly, you should have stopped there. 

Drinking and driving is done by adults of all ages.  You don't "grow out of it", like, say cow tipping.  If you were to take a moment to familiarize yourself with DWI recidivism, you would know that repeat offenders account for anywhere between 21% and almost 50% of arrests, depending on the state---and that's just the number who are caught.  The average age of offenders is 30.  So before you mention the word "ignorant" in the future, help yourself out lest you look, well....ignorant.

And the frequency at which people commonly repeat a nonsensical explanation as an excuse does not make it any less bizarre. 

None of those things make my original point less true: "to extrapolate that all 22 years continue to drink into their adult lives, because there exists adults that drink and drive, is, frankly, nonsensical."  Now, obviously there is recidivism.  However, the neither means that people who drink and drive at a young age will continue to do so into adulthood nor that one must be caught drinking and driving before that behavior ceases.  In fact, the facts you cite actually go the opposite way: they imply that after people are caught drinking and driving, they are less likely to do so in the future. 

Also, bizarre literally means "very strange or unsual."  When I say that your claim is "by definition" the opposite of "bizarre." I am being literal.  "Frequency" quite literally makes something bizarre or not bizarre.