Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

As i recall when i grew up in Buffalo and been a  Buffalo Bills 
Fans since birth of being born in Buffalo in 1967 there was a few times when i was a senior in HS in 1985, 1985 was the year Bruce Smith got drafted by the Buffalo bills and he got in trouble in buffalo a couple of times and look how Bruce Smith football career turned out so please stop hating on Ed Oliver cause all young men wheather they professional football have made mistakes so please stop making this more than what it is we have a made mistakes when we were young so let support Ed Oliver.  GO Bills 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

I have worked on many, many cases involving DWI's and fatalities in my career. It is not just a stupid thing. I could tell you about the two high school sweethearts who were burned to death trapped in their car because of a "stupid thing". I could tell you about the disabled vet who suffered for 45 days in the hospital before death brought an end to his suffering from the injuries inflicted on him by a "kid" who did a "stupid thing". I could tell you about the 5 young people whose lives were exploded by a drunk kid who just did a stupid thing. 

We do Ed Oliver no favors by minimizing the seriousness of what he did by shrugging it off as just a kid being stupid. Yes, lots of people get DWI's, precisely because we don't take it seriously. And yeah, he might not quite be in Dareus territory yet but he is off to a roaring start. 

Than why call him Marcel Dareus Part 2?  LAMP.  Unnecessary, speculative and slanderous statement that is best left in your brain.  At this point, it’s just not true in the slightest.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, doubledd67 said:

As i recall when i grew up in Buffalo and been a  Buffalo Bills 
Fans since birth of being born in Buffalo in 1967 there was a few times when i was a senior in HS in 1985, 1985 was the year Bruce Smith got drafted by the Buffalo bills and he got in trouble in buffalo a couple of times and look how Bruce Smith football career turned out so please stop hating on Ed Oliver cause all young men wheather they professional football have made mistakes so please stop making this more than what it is we have a made mistakes when we were young so let support Ed Oliver.  GO Bills 

you are correct. 
https://apnews.com/63e84d7e8bc43607c284915555b8b6b4

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This can't be the first time he has done this.  So if you repeatedly commit the same "mistake" (in this case a crime) by choice, you can't call the choice a mistake.

His "mistake", as with any serial breaker of rules or laws, was getting caught.   If he did not get caught, he would not change his behavior.  So therefore, it's not accurately described as a mistake in judgement.  Do something once, maybe.

I dunno man. Hes 22. People do dumb things. No one was hurt. Hope he learns from it and let's move on.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I dunno man. Hes 22. People do dumb things. No one was hurt. Hope he learns from it and let's move on.

I did lots of dumb stuff when I was 22--stuff that could have gotten me in legal trouble---that I don't do now.  I grew up, and grew out of those behaviors. To think he would not have changed unless he got caught is equally parts silly, immature, and ignorant. It just sounds like something really judgey 17 year olds say. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

according to the police , he had a beer opened. And he prolly did, but its not 100% . I have had a friend issued and open container citation for a beer can he was using for a spit cup. He mouthed off to the  cop about why he was pulled over, cop wrote him up for open container. Poop happens.

To be fair, I’d think your friend made a dumb choice too. Doesn’t make him a terrible person and I haven’t shredded his character.... but not having an open beer can on you while driving is a pretty low threshold of decision making prowess. 

short of “the cops made the whole thing up” we are just debating how big the lapse in judgement was, not whether one was made.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair, I’d think your friend made a dumb choice too. Doesn’t make him a terrible person and I haven’t shredded his character.... but not having an open beer can on you while driving is a pretty low threshold of decision making prowess. 

I once had a cab driver in rural Wales who was driving me back to Cardiff airport who drank a whole can of premium strength cider on the journey. That was an experience.

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I did lots of dumb stuff when I was 22--stuff that could have gotten me in legal trouble---that I don't do now.  I grew up, and grew out of those behaviors. To think he would not have changed unless he got caught is equally parts silly, immature, and ignorant. It just sounds like something really judgey 17 year olds say. 

Yeah - i don't want to speak for others but I can't say that I've always utilized good judgement when drinking.  I'm in my 30s now, and hell, I still have friends who do this kind of crap.  Probably changed for me when a kid i used to work with got in a fatal collision and ended up in jail for a few years. 

If you plan on driving - know when to just stop and say I'm good.  Also know when to say - I'll get my car in the morning.  I've left it at the bowling alley quite a few times in the last couple of years because it's not worth it.  The DUI is one extreme, the horrible accident/possible death/jailtime is much much worse.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

short of “the cops made the whole thing up” we are just debating how big the lapse in judgement was, not whether one was made.

Dumb choice maybe, illegal no. His dumber choice was mouthing off to the cop...cost him a pretty penny for the lawyer.

And no, i am not dismissing "cops made this up" just yet. Prolly less than 1% they did, but until tests and trial etc run their course, it is still a possibility

34 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

DUIs are generally habitual behavior. Every time a drunk driver gets on the road, he or she has a good chance of causing serious harm to others. It’s reckless, selfish, and potentially lethal behavior that needs higher minimum sentences as in other countries to disincentive this behavior, which far too many people see as “no harm, no foul.” 

Sure most people on here have taken one for the road at some point in their life. Not really a big deal if it’s your first or second drink of the night and your ok taking a risk of getting a fine. To bad for Ed it’s just stupidity when you do it and are already drunk. 

Edited by BananaB

Are people here defending Oliver?  I admit, I haven't read all the comments...  but the article says the police were called on him.  He was swerving outside of his lane, had an open beer on his lap, was clearly intoxicated enough to warrant a blood draw to determine the blood alcohol content (and when the lab results come in, numbers don't lie), plus he had an unregistered fire arm...

smh if people think this is a police issue and not a "bad behavior issue".  

Anyways, from a TEAM standpoint, I think this issue "stings" but but we have some depth at DT.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What Oliver did was stupid....but I've made the same mistake when I was younger and I would so most of you have too.

The majority of you have had roadies.  

Um.... no....

2 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Are people here defending Oliver?  I admit, I haven't read all the comments...  but the article says the police were called on him.  He was swerving outside of his lane, had an open beer on his lap, was clearly intoxicated enough to warrant a blood draw to determine the blood alcohol content (and when the lab results come in, numbers don't lie), plus he had an unregistered fire arm...

smh if people think this is a police issue and not a "bad behavior issue".  

Anyways, from a TEAM standpoint, I think this issue "stings" but but we have some depth at DT.

Um.... no....

They never said the firearm was unregistered.  He's being charged with a certain level of crime, and possession of a firearm when charged with that crime also becomes unlawful possession.

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

They never said the firearm was unregistered.  He's being charged with a certain level of crime, and possession of a firearm when charged with that crime also becomes unlawful possession.

Okay thanks for clarifying.  So if he wasn't drunk driving, it's okay for him to have a firearm in his car?  I wasn't aware of that.