Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

While DWI is a horrible offense, unfortunately, in the world of the NFL, this is a lesser offense. We’ve all done stupid things. Hopefully, he realized he could’ve killed someone, grows up, and doesn’t do it again. It could’ve been much worse, he could’ve been on video with a Dolphins or Pats T shirt. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

So let's all just declare him innocent. 

Look, kids make mistakes. We all have made mistakes. This kid was driving drunk with a gun. Ask yourself how much you would care about him if he wasn't a very promising young player on our favorite team. 

I'll take your answer off the air.

Just a little note that I think it may be mischaracterization on the "kid was driving drunk with a gun".  Apparently the gun was found only when they searched the car.

So I'm not sure what it has to do with it.  It's not like he was hellin' around waving the thing.  You couldn't pay me to go ride an ATV in Texas without a gun.  Too many feral hogs.

He was allegedly driving drunk, and found with a beer between his legs, which is No Bueno and counts as a mistake, sure.

And no, of course we wouldn't particularly be so interested if he weren't on our favorite team.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

So let's all just declare him innocent. 

Look, kids make mistakes. We all have made mistakes. This kid was driving drunk with a gun. Ask yourself how much you would care about him if he wasn't a very promising young player on our favorite team. 

I'll take your answer off the air.

TBD discussion that casts a player negatively for on or off field matters quickly becomes doctoral thesis level quibbling.  Never fails to happen.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

What a world we live in that we can actually see the arrest hours after it’s happened...

I don’t see any social distancing or masks in this arrest #justsaying

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

They are a couple of guy (William Smith and William Jones) who I sold my Egg to. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid move Ed.  I feel bad for the young man.  However, it is a serious mistake.  You can bet Beane and McDermott will be watching him close and if it is a way of life he will be gone.  If not, he can put it behind him like the Hughes drag racing incident.  Ed's choice.  A fork in the road.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'm guessing that's because his horse doesn't have a cup holder.

I understand all the we support you  Ed comments but I think a wait and see element is needed. I'd like to see him apologize and show signs that he is learning from this before I go all in on the supporting Ed. We all mess up but not everyone is willing to learn from the lessons that life is teaching us.

I'd be shocked if he didn't issue a statement soon - but I agree.  We've all made stupid mistakes. The key is understanding what you done, and who you've let down, and owning up to all of it.  Sometimes, it's those low moments that bring out the best in a person.

Here's hoping.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, major said:

I don’t see any social distancing or masks in this arrest #justsaying

ED got so much alcohol in him every time he opens his mouth he kills the virus , you can probably use his spit as hand sanitizer 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Stupid move Ed.  I feel bad for the young man.  However, it is a serious mistake.  You can bet Beane and McDermott will be watching him close and if it is a way of life he will be gone.  If not, he can put it behind him like the Hughes drag racing incident.  Ed's choice.  A fork in the road.

What is it with these idiots?  He has a career that will leave him and his children set for life, and he's arrested with illegal possession of a gun and driving around drunk?  Wonder if he'll piss his lottery ticket away like so many others before him.

We all make mistakes, I'm certainly no exception.  There are also consequences for your mistakes.  I've worked in the Emergency Department for 24 years.  I have zero tolerance for drunk drivers.  I've just seen too much of their collateral damage.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yes, but the difference is mine wasn't an illegal one. Subtle difference, wouldn't you agree?

I was just cracking a joke. However, I dont condine DUI, but I wont crucify him or judge him for his mistake. PLENTY of people get DUIs and are much older than he is. It isnt an age or maturity thing.

What does matter is, will he learn from his mistake? That is what will reveal his true character.

Edited by Herc11

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If you refuse, you admit your guilt and likely face even worse charges. It's not an option.  

You admit nothing when you refuse a a breath test. That is the point. And yes, those tests can be way wrong. I know, I have been the victim of a faulty test 35 years ago. Thank god found an attorney with some brains. Long story, he sued the IL state police for a bunch of bad tests and won. Now, don’t get me started on how come he kept the majority of the settlement, but I did end up net positive for the episode     

3 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

I didn't want to go through all 39 pages... But did anyone figure out why he is barefoot?

my guess is he had flip flops on and he was worried they were not stable , but only a guess. 

and @Bill from NYC, see ya not have the integrity  for a serious reply. Have you not declared him guilt already? Tell me where I was off. 

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

and @Bill from NYC, see ya Not have the stones for a serious reply. Have you not declared him guilt already? Tell me where I was off. 

You might want to lighten up, although your playing Sir Walter Raleigh for this kid is amusing.

The kid did 2 wrong things. The police and the legal system are not to blame. Ed Oliver did it. Now that we have established that, lets look at the big picture:

1) The kid made a mistake. I do not hate, or even dislike him for it. You know why? Because he could have beaten at least one police officer to death and he did not. I do not take his arrest personally and imo, neither should you but again, this simply my opinion.

2) Despite my admitted tendency to side with the police, I firmly believe that every American is entitled to the absolute best legal representation that they can possibly get. I actually met Bill Kunstler and he spoke about this and made total sense. This young man is a millionaire and can and will assemble a great, costly legal team. Good for him, and btw; I would do the same thing if I were in his shoes.

3) There is plenty of time and hope for this kid to smarten up and make better decisions. This is what I want for him, and the possibility of him doing so does exist. How are his chances of turning things around? I don't know, and btw neither do you. I don't know his life story or his family situation, or what the future will hold for him. I also know that as serious as DUI is, it is an offense committed by many who are not necessarily habitual criminals in other areas of life. In other words, if a player is popped for something like robbery, I would say that there is little hope for turning things around. It doesn't have to be that way with DUI. 

4) I offer no predictions about EO's future. Zero. 

In summary, I think that we can both agree that we want the young man to make better decisions. As much as I hope that he gets himself together, I for one refuse to depict him as some sort of victim. He could have grabbed his gun, left his car where it was, and taken an Uber.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You might want to lighten up. although your playing Sir Walter Raleigh for this kid is amusing.

The kid did 2 wrong things. The police and the legal system are not to blame. Ed Oliver did it. Now that we have established that, lets look at the big picture:

1) The kid made a mistake. I do not hate, or even dislike him for it. You know why? Because he could have beaten at least one police officer to death and he did not. I do not take his arrest personally and imo, neither should you but again, this simply my opinion.

2) Despite my admitted tendency to side with the police, I firmly believe that every American is entitled to the absolute best legal representation that they can possibly get. I actually met Bill Kunstler and he spoke about this and made total sense. This young man is a millionaire and can and will assemble a great, costly legal team. Good for him, and; I would do the same thing if I were in his shoes.

3) There is plenty of time and hope for this kid to smarten up and make better decisions. This is what I want for him, and the possibility of him doing so does exist. How are his chances of turning things around? I don't know, and btw neither do you. I don't know his life story or his family situation, or what the future will hold for him. I also know that as serious as DUI is, it is an offense committed by many who are not habitual criminals in other areas of life. In other words, if a player is popped for something like robbery, I would say that there is little hope for turning things around. It doesn't have to be that way with DUI. 

4) I offer no predictions to EO's future. Zero. 

In summary, I think that we can both agree that we want the young man to make better decisions. As much as I hope that he gets himself together, I for one refuse to depict him as some sort of victim. He could have grabbed his gun, left his car where it was, and taken an Uber.

Good arguments. Appreciate it. 

having said that, in your lost you assume his guilt. All I have been arguing  in this thread is that to assume his guilt before any tests are in is folly. I get it’s the internet age, but we see time and time again that people assume outcomes and and ascribe guilt based on an article written in haste amongst the need to be first. Happens especially to young people of color. 

I have never made him out to be a victim, I just refuse to judge him before the facts on in or in a edited to shreds video. 

you say he needs to get himself together, turn himself around... turn around from what? 

tests come back and he has illegal drugs in his system, or had a BAC of .14 , then we can start to form some opinions, but to do so before any facts are in just makes no sense to me. 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

you say he needs to get himself together, turn himself around... turn around from what? 

Driving while intoxicated (assuming he was which sorry, imo is a safe assumption) with a gun in your car is a poor decision. I am not trying to force you to agree with me, this is simply how I feel.

Do you think I like this? I am not getting any younger and want the Bills to win a Super Bowl. I didn't want this to happen and I view it as a very avoidable mistake.

I happen to also be an Alabama Fan. Reuben Foster broke my heart, whereas I think that he could have been the best linebacker in the NFL bar none (once again, jmo). He just kept getting collared for domestic assaults and a host of other crimes. He seems to have tossed away mega millions of dollars and a good life. I do NOT put Oliver in this class!!!!!!!!!! But, imo it is obvious that he needs to make better decisions.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

Driving while intoxicated (assuming he was which sorry, imo is a safe assumption) with a gun in your car is a poor decision. I am not trying to force you to agree with me, this is simply how I feel.

Do you think I like this? I am not getting any younger and want the Bills to win a Super Bowl. I didn't want this to happen and I view it as a very avoidable mistake.

I happen to also be an Alabama Fan. Reuben Foster broke my heart, whereas I think that he could have been the best linebacker in the NFL bar none (once again, jmo). He just kept getting collared for domestic assaults and a host of other crimes. He seems to have tossed away mega millions of dollars and a good life. I do NOT put Oliver in this class!!!!!!!!!! But, imo it is obvious that he needs to make better decisions.

If Proven to be true, it’s realy, really dumb. But as of today, nothing is proven. And if it is, as far as I know it is his first time being in trouble. In other words, a mistake, not a pattern. 

Ed  grew up in a part of Texas where guns are common, legal, and easy to get. I will tell you with certainty, going out to ride ATVs a and shoot some guns in a common occurrence all over the country, I have even done it on more than one occasion. 

again, I just hate to see a guy reputation get torn to shreds based on nothing but speculation. Let the process play out , then make decision and form opinions on facts and not speculation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1