Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

9 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

I think you live on another planet, if you dont think that's the norm. Ever been to a Bills game? How many DWIs can happend after one? 

That’s always wild to me. There’s easily 15,000 drivers over the legal limit on the road on Sunday afternoons. 

Lowering BAC is stupid. Not that we shouldn’t be more careful. But the issue is enforcement. Just like literally every other law, the data doesn’t point towards severity of punishment having any effect on willingness to commit a crime. The largest impact on reducing crime is if people think they’ll be caught or prosecuted. 

Fact is Erie County/City of Buffalo, etc. don’t really care about DUI’s. How many people get pulled over Sunday/Saturday morning around Elmwood, Allen, or Chippewa? Barely any. How many people get popped at a Bills game? The tiniest fraction. Regular enforcement is the problem. Not driving down  the BAC from .1 to .08 to .06. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

If you read it in context, I was referring to my son and the advice of his attorney. I have no idea about Ed, and was only commenting on the legal advice not to blow. I was NOT present at that conference, and can NOT advise anyone (except @Chef Jim of course) on how to handle their affairs. It’s just the way I heard it. 

How dare you draw me into a Bills thread. ?

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I will say one thing As a Captain after my 2nd deployment. I had a lapse in judgement was drinking at a house party While playing poker. Thought good enough to drive home. 

got pulled over. Thankfully the Cop cut me a break pulled my truck into a parking lot and called me a cab. Told me if my truck is gone before 10am the next day when he comes off shift he will arrest me. (Also in Texas BTW lol). 

never got behind a wheel again after once sip. Hope this has the same effect on Ed. 

will always Remember Officer Jonathan Gomez for the Break he chose to give me. 

Even in this case you weren't dumb enough to have an open beer between your legs.

26 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I will say one thing As a Captain after my 2nd deployment. I had a lapse in judgement was drinking at a house party While playing poker. Thought good enough to drive home. 

got pulled over. Thankfully the Cop cut me a break pulled my truck into a parking lot and called me a cab. Told me if my truck is gone before 10am the next day when he comes off shift he will arrest me. (Also in Texas BTW lol). 

never got behind a wheel again after once sip. Hope this has the same effect on Ed. 

will always Remember Officer Jonathan Gomez for the Break he chose to give me. 

You know damn straight that's not the only time you've driven drunk. Don't kid yourself. 

Looking back on it, I've done some stupid, reckless things in my own life that I'm embarrassed of and extremely lucky and thankful that I never had to pay the Pied Piper. It's a miracle I didn't kill myself, let alone an innocent person.

I have regrets from my past, and Ed will, too. Inexcusable for all of us to make this choice. I have some sympathy for him, knowing the regret and feelings that he will have moving forward. It's disappointing and unexpected, but it doesn't change who he is or what he can become. 

Don't write a man off for one bad choice. Don't excuse away his actions and decisions, either. He'll have questions to answer and debts to pay, but hopefully this will make him a more complete, reflective person and allow the Bills community to get the best out of him moving forward.

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

You know damn straight that's not the only time you've driven drunk. Don't kid yourself. 

since that point. But before that yep I drove times I probably shouldn’t have 

• Like (+1) 1

Well this will be interesting.  The process chased Dareus and Watkins out of town.  Now these are McD and Beane's guys.  Let's see how they handle this.  

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

No, lets declare him guilty because  the internet told me so! 

Cue Richard Jewell and the Duke kids..

or for that matter lets talk about Arnaud Arbery and what the internet made of his guilt or innocence.

And  please for the love of god show me where it has been proven he was driving drunk with a gun.

I will 100% always, always, always, refuse a breath test. And it someone tried to take blood out of my body without my consent they will nedd to knock me out, i would never, ever , never submit to that ...

If you refuse, you admit your guilt and likely face even worse charges. It's not an option.  

14 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I was 23 once too. I get it. I’m not ready to crucify the guy but somebody should aware him on what drugs and alcohol can do to your life. I have 3 years sober on the 19th, wish I never touched the stuff at all. Can be the difference between him getting the veteran minimum with his next contract or him making $20 million a year, choice is his to make. 

Awesome stuff congrats brother! I'm at 4months and I've got so much back already. Hope he doesn't wind up with a Sammy Watkins kinda career. That'll eat at him to his deathbed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Even if his blood alcohol level comes back too high, chances of being suspended are slim. Luckily he had no drugs in the vehicle. He’ll probably get probation from the court, and as a first time offender, nothing from the NFL. 

How do you know this is first offense? First offense is confidential.  It's the second one that is public and draws a suspension. 

Let's see if this coaching staff and organization is as strong as we think they are. Ed is a blue chip talent a possible all pro talent and he is young, young kids with a lot of money can make mistakes. But they can't let this get out of hand like what happened to Dareus. I just hope we look back on this as Ed a one off situation as opposed to a pattern. 

8 hours ago, Doc said:

I'd be surprised if he gets more than 3 games.  I'm still sticking with 2.

Im at 4 after ive thought about it some more. Lets hope for 0 and he gets his stuff together. I have a feeling this is out of the norm for Oliver however the NFL will definitely take action.

16 hours ago, dezertbill said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/17/ed-oliver-arrested-for-dwi-unlawfully-carrying-a-weapon/

No bueno.  We finally have all the pieces and this has to happen.  SMH

I'm often accused during patdowns of unlawfully carrying a weapon...This leads to strip searches which gives way to full body cavity searches.

It's not my fault I was born the way I was?:cry:

50 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Can't believe he didn't just ride his horse 

I'm guessing that's because his horse doesn't have a cup holder.

I understand all the we support you  Ed comments but I think a wait and see element is needed. I'd like to see him apologize and show signs that he is learning from this before I go all in on the supporting Ed. We all mess up but not everyone is willing to learn from the lessons that life is teaching us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, o have had my license since 78, never been cited for an open container. 

now I gots big problem with driving while drunk , that rightly is and should be strictly enforced. I just don’t understand why if I have 3 beers in a bar, get in a car and drive home that is somehow okay, but if I have a beer as I am driving to the Home Depot and back it is somehow illegal, and worse to some people immoral. It’s a dumb law. What matters is how much I drink, not where I drink it. 

F****** A!!!:worthy:

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

Who are the BIlls??

They show up in my mailbox almost daily! Ticks me off, to tell you the truth! 

I’ve never met either guy, but I don’t get the sense that Ed is a Darius type of guy. Just a guess, but my gut tells me that. Hope I’m right. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1