Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

9 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Texas law is moot ( thanks @JoPoy88for the correction) Didnt this happen in Montgomery County NY? Or am I misunderstanding that the gun was unregistered.

Texas law is directly relevant.  Happened near Montgomery City, Texas. 
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/NFL-player-arrested-for-DWI-gun-charges-in-Montgomery-County-570546061.html

Farm Market Route 242 near 1485 to be exact.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/TX-242+%26+FM+1485,+Texas+77302/@30.1325537,-95.7349643,10.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x86474f6d48155761:0x738a435237d49cf!8m2!3d30.2150626!4d-95.280169

We lack information as to whether or not the gun was appropriately registered, even if it was, having it in the trunk while committing a DWI makes it "unlawful possession" under Texas law

9 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think if you are driving, and impaired over the legal limit , should be punished to full extent of the law. No leniency, as I believe Oliver should be. No debate on that one iota. 

my debate has been, and always will be , if I have one beer while driving in a car, or two beers at a bar and then drive home , am I and the general public safer after I lever the bar ? because why? 

If the argument is no driving after any drinking, and I mean none, let’s make everyone who has had one drink at a bar, a restaurant , Christmas gathering   

I remember when they changed the law in SC to make an open container illegal. Not because they took it away so much as..... I never knew it WAS legal! There were plenty of times where it would have been nice to have a cold beer on the way back from tennis or the beach. Not DRUNK, but enjoying a cold one. 

My son blew a .082 (slightly over the limit) one night in college. It was a very expensive lesson. The attorney told him to NEVER blow for them. I don’t trust the whole process and, until recently, I would generally Uber if I was going to have more than one drink going out. Now? I just sit at home like most people...... Oh, how I miss the “good old days” of a few months ago! 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

And you know they were looking for a drug charge how?

The article I read said the officer suspected that Oliver’s impairment was due to something other than (or in addition to) alcohol.  That’s my guess as to why they did the search. 

Just now, BarleyNY said:

The article I read said the officer suspected that Oliver’s impairment was due to something other than (or in addition to) alcohol.  That’s my guess as to why they did the search. 

Wouldn’t shock me. After all the dude got pulled over at 9pm hauling a freaking trailer. It’s not like closing time from the bar or something. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Thanks for the intelligent answer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, SirAndrew said:

Wouldn’t shock me. After all the dude got pulled over at 9pm hauling a freaking trailer. It’s not like closing time from the bar or something. 

Yeah.  I’m thinking he was out riding ATVs with his friends.  Maybe some beers and blunts - and then made the mistake of driving.

I’d assume that the blood they drew will be tested for drugs as well as alcohol, but maybe someone better informed can verify that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Yeah.  I’m thinking he was out riding ATVs with his friends.  Maybe some beers and blunts - and then made the mistake of driving.

I’d assume that the blood they drew will be tested for drugs as well as alcohol, but maybe someone better informed can verify that. 

I'm sure you'll get a lot of experts answering that lol

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

I remember when they changed the law in SC to make an open container illegal. Not because they took it away so much as..... I never knew it WAS legal! There were plenty of times where it would have been nice to have a cold beer on the way back from tennis or the beach. Not DRUNK, but enjoying a cold one. 

My son blew a .082 (slightly over the limit) one night in college. It was a very expensive lesson. The attorney told him to NEVER blow for them. I don’t trust the whole process and, until recently, I would generally Uber if I was going to have more than one drink going out. Now? I just sit at home like most people...... Oh, how I miss the “good old days” of a few months ago! 

I guess that makes a certain amount of sense the longer it takes them to test you the more of it you'll of processed, but I would think being uncooperative wouldn't look great in front of the judge if you get nailed anyway.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

well open carry legal so that is normal

open container legal so that is normal too

the Gun is an add on charge to the DWI. Once DWI gone Gun charge is too

Good point. Let's say blood test comes back and is ok. Case is gone, as if nothing ever happened. It's not even a moving violation with no witness except some random call to 1-800-U-SQUEAL.

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I guess that makes a certain amount of sense the longer it takes them to test you the more of it you'll of processed, but I would think being uncooperative wouldn't look great in front of the judge if you get nailed anyway.

Friend of mine is a lawyer and he said if it ever happens the proper way to handle it is to politely state that you do not believe in the accuracy of breathalyzer tests so you respectfully decline.  They’ll take you in and draw your blood.  Upon your release immediately go to a place where you can get an independent test taken.  Luckily I’ve never been in that position, but it’s good info to have. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Damn, dude. I'm NOT at all a "follow ALL laws to a T", but if you're so addicted to alcohol that you feel it's normal to drink beer as you're driving, and seem proud to speed, you're the poster child as to why we have to suffer so many limitations on our freedoms. To protect ourselves from dumbasses like you.

Funny, don’t remember saying anywhere I drink a beee every time I drive. 

and according to your argument, not important how much ya drink , but where ya drink it. 

Drink beer in a bar, then drive , all good! Drink a beer while you are driving, morally corrupt. 

please make a logical argument as to why that makes sense. 

The true measure of this story is going to be determined by how Ed responds. 

Does he take full responsibility for his actions and take whatever measures he needs to take to ensure he never puts himself in position to let himself and his teammates down again? 

• Like (+1) 1

This is unbelievable...this is flipping Texas, what are they thinking.

This is where John Wayne made it with Angie Dichinson, where Stumpy threw dynamite and and blew up the warehouse of Burdett, Nathan Burdett, no one complained, when Dude drank and sang with Rickie Nelson, where Gonzales Gonzales allowed anyone in his hotel bar with weapons, registered or not, 

This is a conspiracy. No oops this is just a young rich football player who should be in camp and under the control of someone. 

The one thing we learned, Oliver is no leader...and things have changed in Texas since Sherrif John T. Was the law.

• Haha (+1) 1

After reading a good portion of the posts in this thread, I have come to two conclusions. The first is that young people may or may not learn from their mistakes. The second is that self righteousness does not benefit society. We have and will make mistakes. That is what makes us human

Edited by fl az fan
  • Like (+1) 10

16 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The true measure of this story is going to be determined by how Ed responds. 

Does he take full responsibility for his actions and take whatever measures he needs to take to ensure he never puts himself in position to let himself and his teammates down again? 

I agree.  His response going forward is all that matters.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The ATV tipped you off didn’t it?

• Haha (+1) 2