Ed Oliver Arrested DWI

Just now, Success said:

First 4 games are probably the easiest part of our schedule.  Just thinking practically. 

Though, it could be more than 4 games. 

I would be very surprised if he’s suspended in 2020. 2021 would make sense.

Edited by YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

What a world we live in that we can actually see the arrest hours after it’s happened...

I sure hope I never get pulled over and get asked to do the sobriety test. I would fail that sober. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

You are right.  There are lots of Uber and Lyft drivers who pull trailers with a dune buggy. :rolleyes:

Why are you driving drunk Ed?

Sorry officer, Uber wanted me to get in their car, they didn’t want to drive my truck. 

Hmm, better...

Sorry officer, the trailer wasn’t going to pull itself. 

Edited by CommonCents

Just now, PIZ said:

I sure hope I never get pulled over and get asked to do the sobriety test. I would fail that sober. 

I would fail at just pulling over. I would cause some sort of accident just pulling over. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Robert James said:

It all depends on what his off-season goals are.

He’s the 4th nfl player arrested this week. I feel like these guys are in their hometowns much more than they normally would be this year and it’s no coincidence some are finding trouble away from the structure of the team environment. It’s not an excuse obviously. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, njbuff said:

I would fail at just pulling over. I would cause some sort of accident just pulling over. ?

I wouldn't hold it against you. You're already exhausted after a long night of dusting and vacuuming and washing dishes!

18 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

PER ESPN:

Police were alerted to Oliver's driving by a 911 call from another motorist, who reported a Ford Super Duty pickup hauling a trailer with a dune buggy on it through a 45 mph construction zone on State Highway 242, according to MontgomeryCountyPoliceReporter.com. The 911 caller noted that Oliver was "failing to maintain a lane and driving dangerously," according to the report.

Not smart. If your having issues driving straight after drinking, pull over and get out and call a cab. or a friend. Or shoot sleep in a bush.

There is a strong possibility that since this was reported in a construction zone that he wasn’t uncontrollably swerving, rather trying to stay away from the medians/no shoulder. 

I used to drive about 45k trailer miles per year. Although a much bigger load. I’ve done a couple cross country trips with it as well. 40 foot open trailer, 60 foot load (over hang), 13 feet high, with a pick up. I used to swap lanes all the time at night if there wasn’t much traffic and their was no shoulder. It’s not the greatest to navigate. 

You would also  be surprised at what people will call you in on when you’re towing. I have had two calls to my employer, which they would had to google because our number wasn’t on the truck. Both just for just being in the right lane. I would be going 80 plus not holding up traffic at all. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Usually it’s the following season if you look at guys arrested in the offseason. It’s always a dragged out process with the nfl. 

True.

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

I wouldn't hold it against you. You're already exhausted after a long night of dusting and vacuuming and washing dishes!

Cops might shoot me from smelling like Fabreeze. ?

27 minutes ago, BillsMafia828 said:

The area he was pulled over has heavy restrictions due to construction. Honestly, he probably could got a hometown pass if he didn't have the open container. 

Hometown passes are going to be a thing of the past thanks to bodycams.....

Oliver made a bad decision to drive. We will all know if this is a one time horrible decision,  or if he falls off the rails. His personality doesn't come across as hood, but definately country with the horses, atv riding,  ect.  I think he'll straighten up and tow the line from this point forward.

Edited by loyal2dagame
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'm no expert, so this isn't an argument, it's a question.

If you have to be found guilty of the DWI or DUI, how come PJ Williams, arrested for driving drunk and careless driving in New Orleans on 1/23/2019, pleaded down to "reckless driving" and was suspended for three games. Same question for Kareem Jackson arrested on 9/19/2019 for DUI in Denver pleaded down to one count of driving while alcohol impaired and was suspended for two games? Or Willie Snead, arrested for DUI on 6/11/2017 given a diversion program and counseling and suspended three games

https://www.tsn.ca/broncos-safety-kareem-jackson-suspended-final-2-games-by-nfl-1.1414738

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/arrests/

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_0929b8ac-17a2-5eef-bdc2-28c32cf39cb4.html

by no means I am an expert on the NFL suspension policy (I don’t think anyone is). However if I go by the letter of their policy they can’t suspend him for DWI. It is probably that Commissioners Protect the Shield stuff that got overhauled by the new CBA. So to say what the Commish will try in line with the new CBA I don’t know. But by the DWI Policy they have he can’t get suspended off that. 

2.2 Violations of Law Involving Alcohol
The Commissioner will review and may impose a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline if a Player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law (including within the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement including but not limited to nolo contendere) relating to the use of alcohol. Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will be a suspension without pay for two (2) regular or postseason games. If the Commissioner finds that there were aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct, extreme intoxication (BAC of .15% or more), property damage or serious injury or death to the Player or a third party, and/or if the Player has had prior drug or alcohol- related misconduct, increased discipline may be imposed. Discipline for a second or subsequent offense, absent aggravating circumstances, will be a suspension without pay for eight (8) regular and/or postseason games as determined by the Commissioner.

Edited by MAJBobby

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, there were times when I was 23 where I prolly had a beer in one hand, a Marlboro Red in another hand, and had to drive and shift too! But that was way before phones. ! 

Only difference for me was I was rolling one and you probably didn’t have a cup holder either.... good thing we didn’t have cell phones

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s the 4th nfl player arrested this week. I feel like these guys are in their hometowns much more than they normally would be this year and it’s no coincidence some are finding trouble away from the structure of the team environment. It’s not an excuse obviously. 

I shudder to think what I might have done if someone had handed me 10+ million dollars when I was 22.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Especially this year because the courts are backlogged due to Covid. suspensions are typically handed out after the courts rule on legal matters. 

If this drags out and the charges get knocked down, with the backlog he might not face much suspension time then.