Teams can Begin to Reopen Facilities

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I heard something crazy but I cannot confirm if it is true. I heard the military is not letting anyone who has had Covid 19 enlist. I can only assume if this is true that is does permanent damage to your lungs that might be degenerative. If a player got this during the season or in practice you are going to see multi million dollar lawsuits fly.

Imo that would be just stupid... if a player doesn’t sue for catching any other virus, they shouldn’t be suing for catching covid...because then you run the risk of every single company never wanting to open for fear of a lawsuit...then nobody is ever working...it’s just nonsense...if you’re ok with playing then play, if you’re afraid then stay home...simple as that...the whole world shouldn’t have to be responsible for the actions you take...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Imo that would be just stupid... if a player doesn’t sue for catching any other virus, they shouldn’t be suing for catching covid...because then you run the risk of every single company never wanting to open for fear of a lawsuit...then nobody is ever working...it’s just nonsense...if you’re ok with playing then play, if you’re afraid then stay home...simple as that...the whole world shouldn’t have to be responsible for the actions you take...

The lawsuit portion is something different but think about what you would do it you were supposed to make $8m to $15m in the next few years and you got this as you were voted to do so per the NFLPA. If that money is now gone as your lungs are damaged what would you do?

Has anyone looked at insurance for this? Does it exist? I would assume not as insurance companies don’t insure what they can’t measure. 

Like I initially stated, however, the positive is that the league is looking to open. They and their attorneys can figure out the details. ? 

Edited by TroutDog

On 5/16/2020 at 8:52 AM, LabattBlue said:

OBD will not be part of this until WNY meets the criteria for NYS Phase 1 requirements. At the earliest, the end of May.  

I thought the point of the NFL regulating access to team facilities was to wait until all 32 teams could access their facilities? 

So if the Bills can't but others can...FOUL!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2020 at 11:55 AM, Mr. WEO said:

It's up to the Governor, as I said.  And Cuomo say Erie Co is not reopening.

From what Poloncarz has tweeted, sounds very close.  We were missing on hospitalizations and deaths and per tweet 9 hrs ago, that's good.

Contact tracers getting lined up

Though we're still listed on the dashboard as not meeting the hospitalizations, with only 3 days of decline and 28 average new hospitalizations/3 days....I hope it's just the dashboard not being updated over the weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2020 at 4:10 PM, Fires said:

I posted how Florida was open to host teams  in lockdown yesterday and was downvoted and deleted. Hopefully the Billls can rehab some old injuries at least. OUR Bills need pre season assessment done and cannot sit around while other teams are doing the same. Go Bills!

There's been some stuff posted on buffalobills.com about different players rehabbing.  One was Harrison Phillips.  He talked about working in a private facility run by a physical therapist in his home state of Nebraska, and videotaping various things to discuss with the trainers at OBD.  So evidently the Bills trainers are trying to work with the rehabbing guys remotely as much as they can.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I heard something crazy but I cannot confirm if it is true. I heard the military is not letting anyone who has had Covid 19 enlist. I can only assume if this is true that is does permanent damage to your lungs that might be degenerative. If a player got this during the season or in practice you are going to see multi million dollar lawsuits fly.

It appears to be true

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article242565406.html

Sources: Military Times, social media times of a DOD memo, Newsweek

But it's referred to as "interim guidance", so I think it may have to do with the questions about people who have had covid-19 being potentially infectious for a variable length of time, and testing positive even after several negative tests.  Unless they're testing all their recruits though, could be kind of pointless - many young people may have had covid-19 and not been tested or diagnosed, or maybe not even noticed.

The football-applicable point of course being, even if teams test all the players and staff when they return to the facility, there is the chance that someone who tested negative may still be shedding virus and may re-test positive a few days later.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

"any other virus"....well, for example, if there were a polio epidemic underway, and players were required to show up at team facilities and play or void their contract, thus risking the very serious complications of paralysis etc - I imagine there might be lawsuits about unsafe working conditions.  Or maybe Ebola.   Polio is actually quite a good analogy, because 70% of those who contract it are asymptomatic, another 25% have a mild fever and sore throat, 5% develop headache and muscle stiffness ..... and 0.5% develop neurological problems leading to paralysis.  About 15-30% of those people (depending upon medical care) die.  But most people don't realize that for the overwhelming majority of those who develop polio (which can be a very serious disease) it's nothing, asymptomatic or a bit of a sore throat.

The fact is, we haven't had to wrassle with the effects of a truly nasty, high morbidity, high mortality virus in this country in most of our lifetimes.  But when someone has an employment contract, I believe there are implied expectations about safe working conditions and so forth.  It would quickly go beyond my meagre legal knowledge.

I won't propegate the discussion of what you term "nonsense", except to say that framing the containment of a pandemic disease as some sort of "personal choice"/fear issue rather a public health matter seems to miss the fundamental point.  Further discussion -> OTW or PPP

I am proposing hazard pay for mods to double the vast amount they currently collect.   :)

These are crazy times. Our son has a wedding scheduled for 8/28 at the Grove Park Inn, Asheville, NC. Her family is wildly split on if this should take place. The bride’s dad will be 77 years old. A group of 100-150, trying to keep it “small”. What to do? They can back out until 5/28 with no loss of funds, but how do you know what 8/28 will look like in May? 

IF they back out, how long do they wait? It could be a year or more before everyone feels “safe”!  An official church wedding happens mid-August, regardless. Bride, groom and parents only. Small potatoes in the big picture, but very real issues for the family. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought the point of the NFL regulating access to team facilities was to wait until all 32 teams could access their facilities? 

So if the Bills can't but others can...FOUL!!!!

If I recall correctly, this was discussed on WGR last week. That was the original intent but now they are shifting the model to say teams that are still in a closed state/region can travel elsewhere. I get it but I don’t like it...but this is an awfully confusing and complex time.

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I am proposing hazard pay for mods to double the vast amount they currently collect.   :)

These are crazy times. Our son has a wedding scheduled for 8/28 at the Grove Park Inn, Asheville, NC. Her family is wildly split on if this should take place. The bride’s dad will be 77 years old. A group of 100-150, trying to keep it “small”. What to do? They can back out until 5/28 with no loss of funds, but how do you know what 8/28 will look like in May? 

IF they back out, how long do they wait? It could be a year or more before everyone feels “safe”!  An official church wedding happens mid-August, regardless. Bride, groom and parents only. Small potatoes in the big picture, but very real issues for the family. 

Agreed.  I move we double their pay, effective immediately.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/16/2020 at 10:38 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We all knew they'd reopen. We know they can play games without fans. What we don't know is what happens in the fall. Will they remain open during the predicted 2nd wave? Will fans ever be able to attend games?

I don't know why anyone is excited to start a season without fans. Fans are so important to football. Home field means so much in football. 

Because its football Stampeder.  And we all love football.  Sure we all want fans at games.  That is a huge part of the Sport.  But the games themselves are the most important thing.  And its an event.  Its what we do in the fall, is watch NFL Football on Sundays.  So football with no fans is better then no football at all.

Did you watch the Nascar race at Darlington yesterday on Fox?  It was weird with no fans.  Especially after Kevin Harvick won and there was NOONE there cheering and celebrating but the Fox reporter interviewing him with a six foot microphone.  But it was a professional NASCAR race that was great to watch again.  It was a sign that things will get back to normal at some point.  That we have just not fallen off into the abyss of life sucking forever. 

15 hours ago, TroutDog said:

If I recall correctly, this was discussed on WGR last week. That was the original intent but now they are shifting the model to say teams that are still in a closed state/region can travel elsewhere. I get it but I don’t like it...but this is an awfully confusing and complex time.

I thought "travel" was considered a competitive disadvantage? 

Of course, many college facilities are excellent and perhaps still closed to their players so maybe I'm wrong.

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

OBD not opening yet apparently...

Interestingly though the link says May 18, 2020 when I follow it it's timestamped May 17th

According to Cuomo's briefing May 18 (this am) WNY has met all the criteria and may reopen.

Apparently sufficient contact tracers hired AND trained was the stopping point, and more had to be ID'd and take online training.