Who will win starting jobs at these positions?

What will be the most competitive position for a starting job this year?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. For RB, who will get more carries?

• Singletary
    • Moss
  2. 2. For DE, who will play the most snaps?

• Addison
    • Murphy
    • Epenesa

Trent Murphy is better than the other 2 at this point, but Addison is a better pass rusher. I can't say one way or another about Epenesa yet, so I'm assuming that TM and Addison are better until I see otherwise. I hope AJ turns out to be the steal of the draft.

48 minutes ago, Putin said:

I hope Epenesa is the real deal !! 
And if he is Murphy needs to go not only because of money but also for a roaster spot 

Yup. You can never have too many good roasters.

Edited by GreggTX

On 5/16/2020 at 3:42 PM, MJS said:

I think it will be Singletary by a landslide. McDermott likes to bring rookies along slowly, it seems. The only reason Singletary got as many carries as he did last year was because Gore hit a wall and was supremely ineffective.

McDermott wanted Allen to sit for a year but that plan blew up in his face when Peterman took the field.

Although Edmunds and White were thrust in as immediate starters. But really there were no other options there either.

Agree with all this.

Devon Singletary will definitely be the starter.  Although I do think Zack Moss will be counted on very heavily for short-yardage carries and red zone work, even at the beginning of the season.  They really don't have anyone else to fill that role with Frank Gore gone.

Mario Addison will start opposite Jerry Hughes.  I am skeptical that Trent Murphy makes the team.  AJ Epenesa will be brought along very slowly, and will need to earn increased playing time.  It may take a year before he breaks the starting lineup.

To me, the biggest question mark in the starting lineup is at Cornerback.  I think both Josh Norman and Levi Wallace have a very good chance to win this job.  And it's hard to know whether the coaching staff would default to the veteran newcomer, or the younger guy who has been on the team for 2 seasons already.

I think Singletary will open the season getting the starts but Moss some where past the mid point of the season could win starts once he learns the scheme .

Addison given his history will get all the starts and be a mentor (along with Jerry) to not only Espenesa but Daryl Johnson as well to make them the pass rushers of the future for the Bills .

Edited by T master
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Just saying that McD doesn't seem to trust rookies and he will have to prove himself

True. Fans will be clamoring for Moss to get more touches weeks before McD actually makes it happen. 

The weird thing about this poll is there is 1 position where the starter actually matters and it isn’t listed. That’s RT. While DE and RB will be splitting reps the OL will most likely pick someone and go with it. I believe that Cody Ford has the inside track but Williams and Nsekhe will have a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

Its pretty clearly Singletary and Addison.  Murphy may not even be on the roster week 1, let alone starting.  And I like Murphy, but he's not as good as Addison.  So barring injury or drastic fall off due to age, it will be Addison.  AJE will be brought along like they do all rookies, slowly and coached up before over taking a starting position.  

And Singletary is the man, he did great last year, he has a firm hold on the #1 spot, and Moss will get plenty of carries as well, but won't be taking the starting job this year from Devin unless Devin for some reason regresses or gets hurt.  

I feel like these 2 choices were fairly obvious...you should have started a poll about CB opposite Tre, Nickel Corner, RT and RG.  Those would be more interesting battles to discuss as they are not so obvious.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its pretty clearly Singletary and Addison.  Murphy may not even be on the roster week 1, let alone starting.  And I like Murphy, but he's not as good as Addison.  So barring injury or drastic fall off due to age, it will be Addison.  AJE will be brought along like they do all rookies, slowly and coached up before over taking a starting position.  

And Singletary is the man, he did great last year, he has a firm hold on the #1 spot, and Moss will get plenty of carries as well, but won't be taking the starting job this year from Devin unless Devin for some reason regresses or gets hurt.  

I feel like these 2 choices were fairly obvious...you should have started a poll about CB opposite Tre, Nickel Corner, RT and RG.  Those would be more interesting battles to discuss as they are not so obvious.  

I think Murphy will be one of those "Beane hacks the Comp Picks" players and end up traded for a 5th before the end of camp. At least I hope so, because that means they are seeing enough from Epenesa and Johnson to feel comfortable making the move.

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think Murphy will be one of those "Beane hacks the Comp Picks" players and end up traded for a 5th before the end of camp. At least I hope so, because that means they are seeing enough from Epenesa and Johnson to feel comfortable making the move.

Yeah, I have nothing against Murphy, I think he is better than this board makes him out to be.  But, its a numbers game, and with Addison, Jefferson and now AJE, I fully agree that I think Murphy will be a trade candidate in that "Beane hacks the comp picks" scenario.  

I know that some people around here think Murphy will get cut...I dont see that.  We don't need to cut him unless we just absolutely need the roster spot somewhere else.  I think if they cant trade him, he will be in the rotation at DE and I think AJE will be used in a more versatile manner linking up in different spots to get him some reps.  

But after the draft saw AJE fall to us, my expectation is that Murphy is going to be a value trade for a 5th at some point before the season, assuming there are no injuries along the way to anyone ahead of him.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agree these two positions are not hard picks. Certainly not for week 1. Could AJ and Moss be pushing to start by the year's end with a bit of luck? Sure. But week 1 it is Mario and Devin. 

I think Taron Johnson has pretty firm hold on nickel I'd be shocked if anyone else started there, but CB2 and the right side of the OL are the most fascinating battles. As is the 3rd linebacker in base defense. I know a lot of people have Klein pencilled into that job but some of those young kids we have can really ball. Klein on his Panthers form is the starter. Klein on his Saints form is guaranteed nothing. 

Oh and I disagree on Murphy. I think he is as bad as some on this board say. Maybe even worse. His run defense is about as coherent as my sister when drunk.