Who will win starting jobs at these positions?

What will be the most competitive position for a starting job this year?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. For RB, who will get more carries?

• Singletary
    • Moss
  2. 2. For DE, who will play the most snaps?

• Addison
    • Murphy
    • Epenesa

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I presume he thought Hughes was a given and meant opposite him. 

I do think it will be Addison but I think by the end of the season AJ will be closing fast. 

Yes I think you’re right about left/right for DE

I don’t know enough about Epenesa to say he can’t win job outright but I am not sure Murphy is making the team so I would say Addison too

• Like (+1) 1

I would not be surprised if by game 9 or 10 Moss has earned an equal number of carries to Singletary.  No disrespect to Singletary.   It is just that they are going to make an incredible combination.  I wonder if we will ever see them in the same backfield.  That would be awesome! 

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

I feel like these are actually two positions where a true starter won’t exist. Maybe more snaps, but I think we’ll see that fluctuate over the course of the season. Now, ask me about RT or CB2... those are the real position battles. 

• Like (+1) 17

McD has shown us the typical aversion to rookies with his handling of Singletary vs Gore to start last season. This is one reason I think overall playing time goes to vets.

Singletary has earned it although I think we all hope Moss makes it so that it becomes a moot point as to who is in the game?. If they became equally interchangeable ( it terms of production) we would have the best RB tandem in the league possibly.

To start the season , barring injury, Addison is a vet’s vet. A lunch pail guy who is a prototypical McD guy. I REALLY hope MA can continue at his previous level. The Bills D will immediately be better against the pass and run. Not just because of sacks and stops but also the pressure he will consistently bring making 10 other Incrementally easier which has a cumulative effect.

Addison was a GREAT get!

I mean, both of those positions will be borderline constant rotation. The starter really won’t matter. Maybe, who gets more snaps per game? That’s more telling information. I’m expecting Singletary and Moss  to get about a 50/50 split. Maybe Singletary 55 Moss 45. Moss more in the 4th quarter if we are close or ahead. And I feel like Murphy will play on a lot of the pass rushing downs. Fans seem to hate on the guy but if you isolate and watch him play to play, the guy is relentless. He is actually a pretty good player and he goes absolutely balls to the wall on the play. The other guys will rotate with eachother and probably with Hughes too. The D line is like a revolving door under McDermott.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Addison was a GREAT get!

This is why I'm so excited about this team's defense in 2020. Every time I try to remember everyone who is on the D-line, I get excited by the talent, but every time, a few minutes later, I think "oh, right, I forgot we got Addison" or "man, and what about Quinton Jefferson. he could have a breakout year." I never fail to forget at least one player. It's fun to have such abundance on this team.

• Like (+1) 1

I voted Singletary by I believe it will actually be a 50/50 split.

The second was more difficult.  I took the less popular answer as I believe Trent Murphy is going to surprise the doubters and I'm sure most will be glad he did.(Some will throw a tantrum just because being right is more important than the Bills succeeding)

41 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Moss has to prove he can hold onto the rock

If I remember correctly one of the reasons Beane liked him was because he doesn't lose the ball.  Maybe it was another player but I thought I remember it being said he had 3 fumbles his entire collegiate career.

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I feel like these are actually two positions where a true starter won’t exist. Maybe more snaps, but I think we’ll see that fluctuate over the course of the season. Now, ask me about RT or CB2... those are the real position battles. 

Now that you ask, who do you think will start at RT and CB2?  I still believe it will be Ford and Wallace respectively but that is just the opinion of a bored quarantined Bills fan.

2 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Now that you ask, who do you think will start at RT and CB2?  I still believe it will be Ford and Wallace respectively but that is just the opinion of a bored quarantined Bills fan.

I think so as well... I don't see Norman taking CB2, and I doubt they will count on Gaines for anything. Williams has a real shot at RT if Ford flounders I think, but I don't expect that. Good competition either way, which I like. 

• Like (+1) 1

Devin and Jerry

I think it will be Singletary by a landslide. McDermott likes to bring rookies along slowly, it seems. The only reason Singletary got as many carries as he did last year was because Gore hit a wall and was supremely ineffective.

McDermott wanted Allen to sit for a year but that plan blew up in his face when Peterman took the field.

Although Edmunds and White were thrust in as immediate starters. But really there were no other options there either.