Zack Moss runs a 4.52 40 yard dash

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And for 3 straight years this offense has been poor overall while lacking speed and issues with quick strike ability. So it’s fair to question their judgement there to this point....

Not that I don’t like the Moss pick.... Just would’ve preferred a speed guy to compliment Singletary.

Yes, this offense has been poor overall. But no, it's really not fair to question their judgment there as yet. Just the opposite ... this is a front office that has brilliantly handled a near-complete rebuild and a simultaneous salary cap situation repair in a very short time.

The reason the offense hasn't been good during their rebuild certainly isn't that they didn't have a fast RB. It's that for the first year they built the D and spent very few resources on the O, and the second year the line and WR/TE group were both sub-par, allowing teams to pack the box. And that's not even beginning to mention our QB situation those three years. 

As I said earlier, it's fair enough that you preferred someone else. Everybody has their own preferences, though I never looked much at McFarlane as it seemed very likely to me that he wasn't the type they'd be looking for.  I was hoping for Dillon, myself, but apparently I wasn't the only one to like him, though I'm not sure I second-round liked him. But it's very clear they feel they need a hammer, not a speed merchant, and it's been obvious for a while that that's the institutional priority. Their FA moves these past three years have made that very clear.

Edited by Thurman#1

He's quickly becoming my favorite pick. I was all aboard the Dobbins train but immediately came around to the fact that Epenesa and this dude could provide a much better return, especially after binging every highlight I could find after the pick. And now he's faster? I can't wait to see him and Singletary in action. And oh yeah if needed our monster of a QB can just pick up 7+ yards with his legs. Our top 3 WRs are all fast, I don't think elite game breaking speed at RB is a need right now. Motor's got moves and good game speed and now either Moss or Josh can just trample through people.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

And for 3 straight years this offense has been poor overall while lacking speed and issues with quick strike ability. So it’s fair to question their judgement there to this point....

Not that I don’t like the Moss pick.... Just would’ve preferred a speed guy to compliment Singletary.

I’m guessing they’re being contrarian. With everybody going to so much nickel defense, it is much harder to find guys that can outrun those defenses. Going the route of pounding those smaller D’s to make those legs weaker/slow them down, or sub in the bigger, slower guys  which could open up Diggs, Smoke and Beas.

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not really.... they flopped on Zay Jones, Kelvin Benjamin, essentially all of their 2018 offensive FAs sucked. Kroft looks like another flop.... not sure why people think it takes 4 years to build a good offense. They’ve made several mistakes offensively because it’s not their strong suit.

I will say that the 2018 free agents were not very good

but

We also didnt bring in much....it was a REBIULDING YEAR and they were just taking their lumps that year fixing their cap situation

The following year....the offensive free agents were much better....the drafts have consistantly strong....and here we are.....stocked at every position, coming off a playoff birth.....and our cap situation is very good.

All in all....not bad work at all

On 5/16/2020 at 12:24 AM, The Dean said:

IMO, the Bills lucked out big time due to this. He dropped like a rock due to his combine numbers.  Or so it seems.  

I don’t see it that way. If you look at all the mocks pre and post combine Moss was sort of positioned by himself behind the top group of RBs (Taylor, Swift, Dobbins, etc), but ahead of the rest (Dillon, Perine, Vaughan, etc). Dillon bumped up with his combine, and I think LaFleur wanted a Henry type badly. Regardless, the kid can play and his skill set pairs well with Singletary’s. I’m happy he’s on the team. Particularly because he’ll be coming in as one of the better rookie pass blockers at the position. Seriously, go watch the tape and you’ll see him truck some edge rushers and stonewall a few DTs. 

On 5/16/2020 at 12:21 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

He wasn’t ahead of them pre-40 either though. That was kind of my point. He didn’t rise or fall (much) because of his time. He is a bruising power back. If he was sub 4.4 he’d be Peterson.

I do agree with Dillon though. I’m a little surprised that he went before Moss. I think Henry’s strong end to last season (and all of last season) really helped Dillon. Their numbers were pretty similar across the board.

The key with Dillon is that he was drafted by Henry’s old OC. LaFleur probably has a strong desire/need for that particular physical skill set, and they overdrafted to ensure the pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

I absolutely love our new one-two punch in the RB room. Both Singletary and Moss have excellent vision and contact balance and are reliable in the passing game as blockers/receivers. Singletary gives you that 'make you miss in a phone booth' ability and Moss brings the hammer we lacked last year. As a bonus, both guys are young and will be on cheap rookie contracts for the next few years which is huge considering the players we need to extend soon. 

There are obviously better RBs out there like McCaffery, Kamara, and Chubb and some of this is based on the potential I see in Moss (given that he's an unproven rookie), but I legitimately don't know if I would trade our backfield for any other in the NFL from a talent+youth+cap space perspective. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I don’t see it that way. If you look at all the mocks pre and post combine Moss was sort of positioned by himself behind the top group of RBs (Taylor, Swift, Dobbins, etc), but ahead of the rest (Dillon, Perine, Vaughan, etc). Dillon bumped up with his combine, and I think LaFleur wanted a Henry type badly. Regardless, the kid can play and his skill set pairs well with Singletary’s. I’m happy he’s on the team. Particularly because he’ll be coming in as one of the better rookie pass blockers at the position. Seriously, go watch the tape and you’ll see him truck some edge rushers and stonewall a few DTs. 

That's been my point with Moss.  If he runs a 4.52 at the Combine, he's off the board way before the Bills pick at the end of the 3rd.  But we'll never know now and I'm glad it happened the way it did.  He'll be an excellent complement to Devin.