Zack Moss runs a 4.52 40 yard dash

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'll go a little beyond your evaluation. If his production is comparable to Ivory's production in his first 4-5 years it will be better than a worthwhile pick, it would be a very good pick. My point in the original post is if he doesn't to an extent modify his battering style of play such as at times judiciously going down or go out of bounds he will shorten his lifespan as a back. Without question this was a terrific pick. 

Yes the running style will shorten his career, but that's his problem.  If the Bills can get 4-5 good years out of him, that's all they can ask for and then move on.

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He checked in at combine weighing 223, Bills have him listed at 205. If he did drop 18ish poundd, he may be a legit 4.5 guy

That's odd?  When did they have him come in to get weighed?

19 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

He certainly looked football fast on tape. I didn't doubt his combine time but I felt he was faster than that. 

I'm in Pac-12 country.  Seen a lot of Utah.  That 4.65 had me thinking he was running with a pull or sprain.   He plays much faster.  He won't straight out outrun most pro DBs, but he can get some distance on his runs and lower that boom too.  He reminds me of Motor in that he can peel off some big runs.  But where Motor is smooth/slippery, Moss is violent.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I wouldn’t say that he dropped like a rock. He was widely considered to be a 3rd rounder and was going to be the 6th or 7th RB drafted depending on where teams stood on Dillon. He was technically 9th but 8th of you don’t consider Gibson an RB (which I don’t).  He went 86 which is in line with where most experts seemed to have him. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/ I think Kiper was a little higher on him but in general that’s about where he was expected to go.

Pretty sure those rankings were Post Combine. Perhaps I'm wrong. I was hearing draft analysts say he was ranked higher among backs, but took a big hit after his combine performance. Maybe "dropped like a rock" was a bit of hyperbole.   But Beane certainly didn't expect him to be there when the Bills picked, or so he says. I think a good combine would have almost assured he would not.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Yes the running style will shorten his career, but that's his problem.  If the Bills can get 4-5 good years out of him, that's all they can ask for and then move on.

You dont want him changing his style either........this is what has gotten him where he is at.  Platooning him with Devin will definately help stretch it out.

30 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

There's been a big difference lately from combine 40 times to proday 40s, combine usually being slower 

Moss supposedly tweaked his hammy at the combine so the 4.65 isn’t indicative of his actual speed. And the 4.52 is probably way too generous. Nothing wrong with 4.6 speed at RB though, lots of good guys out there who are a lot faster on the field the on the track.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Moss supposedly tweaked his hammy at the combine so the 4.65 isn’t indicative of his actual speed. And the 4.52 is probably way too generous. Nothing wrong with 4.6 speed at RB though, lots of good guys out there who are a lot faster on the field the on the track.

I think its much more important on how fast they get to top speed rather then how fast their 40 is in my opinion.

This team has PLENTY of speed now......what we need are actually football play makers and hopefully we have them now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CapeBreton said:

I agree nothing wrong with 4.6 speed.  But the guns at the yard markers (not hand time) clocked him at 4.52.  It wasn't generous, it's what he ran. 

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

There's been a big difference lately from combine 40 times to proday 40s, combine usually being slower 

I think most who like their combine numbers do not run at their proday.

Those who did not post a time at the combine that they feel is their best effort are rather anxious to improve upon them at their proday.  Both Epenesa and Moss were denied the chance to do just that and if they had they likely would not be Bills.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

Pretty sure those rankings were Post Combine. Perhaps I'm wrong. I was hearing draft analysts say he was ranked higher among backs, but took a big hit after his combine performance. Maybe "dropped like a rock" was a bit of hyperbole.   But Beane certainly didn't expect him to be there when the Bills picked, or so he says. I think a good combine would have almost assured he would not.

I’m not sure if that was before or after but hIs rankings didn’t change much. Maybe he had a chance to go up with a fast 40 but he pretty much stayed the same running slow. He didn’t go up or down. He was the physical, bruiser that teams thought. He just wasn’t the physical, bruiser that could run away from guys in the open field. Teams probably expected high 4.5’s and got mid 4.6’s. It wasn’t enough to move him too much.

Now if he played on the edge as a finesse back the 4.65 would have hurt him. He doesn’t though so he ended up where he was. In order of “Bills draft picks going later than expected” he definitely isn’t in the top 2 and maybe not the top 3 depending on where you thought Hodgins would go. Fromm went about a round and a half later than expected and Epenesa a full round after. Moss was a 3rd rounder by most experts.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

29 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not sure if that was before or after but hIs rankings didn’t change much. Maybe he had a chance to go up with a fast 40 but he pretty much stayed the same running slow. He didn’t go up or down. He was the physical, bruiser that teams thought. He just wasn’t the physical, bruiser that could run away from guys in the open field. Teams probably expected high 4.5’s and got mid 4.6’s. It wasn’t enough to move him too much.

Now if he played on the edge as a finesse back the 4.65 would have hurt him. He doesn’t though so he ended up where he was. In order of “Bills draft picks going later than expected” he definitely isn’t in the top 2 and maybe not the top 3 depending on where you thought Hodgins would go. Fromm went about a round and a half later than expected and Epenesa a full round after. Moss was a 3rd rounder by most experts.

I'll buy that.

• Like (+1) 1

I just have a gut feeling he's going to be an extreme productive RB. 

He reminds me of Mark Ingram. 

Singletary, I believe is a stud. 

I know this is a bit of a stretch, considering he has only played a few games but he reminds me of the great Edgarin James mixed with Leveon Bell.

Bottom line, I expect a highly improved Run game overall from the Bills. People always fail to bring up the sub par run game Allen has had as a starter. Meanwhile guys in his QB class like Baker and Lamar have had elite run games to take pressure off the pass.

Adding an established #1 in Diggs to the pass game as well and we could easily be looking at a Top 10 or better offense! With the #2 defense behind then , being upgraded as well , watch out!!

Moss is going to be wonderful , perfect fit for Buffalo. 4th qtr , defense a bit tired , they might be thinking twice about attacking Moss and becoming a highlight reel!

Edited by JerseyBills

23 hours ago, The Dean said:

IMO, the Bills lucked out big time due to this. He dropped like a rock due to his combine numbers.  Or so it seems.  

I didn't remember him dropping much, so I looked back and I don't think it happened that way.

In his pre-combine big board Matt Miller had him #85, Kevin Hanson had him #88. Kiper had him the #5 RB (had Akers #8). DraftScout had him in the third from early. 

I don't think the combine affected him much. #85 and #88 would be just about exactly where the Bills had him, most likely, as he was their BPA at the time. I think teams saw what we see, that he was no 4.4 guy but that on the field he wasn't a 4.65 guy either. The thigh tweak news came out the same day as he ran the 40 at the combine and I think teams believed him. I think he went just about where he was always going to go. Does look like a nice pickup, though. In those pictures with Josh and Barkley and the group in California, his thighs are absolute tree trunks. He's a strong-looking dude, and the tape shows he played like one.

EDIT: I see this has already been talked about. Never mind.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I kindve like McFarland in Pittsburgh....he’s the HR threat they could’ve used after passing on Dobbins.

Fair enough that they don't have a super-fast home-run threat at WR. Seems obvious by now they don't think that's a necessity, but they do think having a vertical pounder really is. They've had one guy like that every year McDermott's been here. Tolbert, Ivory, Gore. They want a hammer here. Beane said as much pre-draft when commenting on Yeldon and why he didn't get more carries behind Gore. They feel they need one. And since they've never had a home-run guy it's at this point pretty obvious they feel that's not a need, though they might at some point be happy if they could bring one in if the circumstances are right.

Edited by Thurman#1