Change to Rooney Rule?

bbb

28 minutes ago, bbb said:

I'd actually be interested to know what the pool of coaches are.  Having 70% of players being black actually might hurt when it comes to having a large pool of coaches.....................It seems most NFL coaches didn't play in the league.  

I bet this is part of the reason they started the player internship program a while ago.

• Like (+1) 3

So will quotas apply to on the field ? I get the numbers are not consistent with 70% of players being black. But what is the pool of actual qualified potential coaches. Ozzie, Dungy, Rivera took advantage of the connections they had. I would argue they had a better chance of reaching those positions due to those connections. Rather than Tomlin or McDerm who took the hard road traveled.

I think Wilkes got a really bad deal. Over  time likely we will see increasing minority coaches for a variety of reasons on merit. 

15 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Mods, can you merge these two threads.  I’m sure it was an honest mistake by the OP.

The other one was unceremoniously trashed for poster content.

We’ll try it again here.

02F1233F-C368-4BA9-A85A-3EC245682892.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 3

On 5/15/2020 at 8:37 PM, bbb said:

To be voted on:

• If a team hires a minority head coach, that team, in the draft preceding the coach's second season, would move up six spots from where it is slotted to pick in the third round. A team would jump 10 spots under the same scenario for hiring a person of color as its primary football executive, a position more commonly known as general manager.
  • If a team were to fill both positions with diverse candidates in the same year, that club could jump 16 spots -- six for the coach, 10 for the GM -- and potentially move from the top of the third round to the middle of the second round. Another incentive: a team's fourth-round pick would climb five spots in the draft preceding the coach's or GM's third year if he is still with the team. That is considered significant because Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph, two of the four African-American head coaches hired since 2017, were fired after one and two seasons, respectively.

https://www.nfl.com/news/owners-to-vote-on-resolution-to-incentivize-minority-hc-gm-hires

hell no draft spots are earned by records not some criteria based on racial quotas.

Coaching needs to earned as well ,cant just get a job because your a minority. There are tons of minority coaches as coordinators and position coaches, they will get their chance when the time comes. 

• Like (+1) 1

WTF kind of crap is that? Teams will simply find ways to abuse this.

Even Anthony Lynn is against it saying that "Sometimes you can do the wrong thing while trying to do the right thing."

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

Affirmative action is a policy in which an individual's color, race, sex, religion or national origin are taken into account to increase opportunities provided to an underrepresented part of society.Oct 6, 2019

I'm ok with the Rooney rule , maybe some modification but change in draft position not in favor

Can anybody honestly argue there’s currently a better qualified minority coach or GM being slighted?

I realize we have some loons coaching in NY, Houston & perhaps Detroit & Cleveland, but’s who is actually better that isn’t employed and is of minority persuasion? 

Who stands out as being unfairly overlooked?

On 5/15/2020 at 8:37 PM, bbb said:

To be voted on:

• If a team hires a minority head coach, that team, in the draft preceding the coach's second season, would move up six spots from where it is slotted to pick in the third round. A team would jump 10 spots under the same scenario for hiring a person of color as its primary football executive, a position more commonly known as general manager.
  • If a team were to fill both positions with diverse candidates in the same year, that club could jump 16 spots -- six for the coach, 10 for the GM -- and potentially move from the top of the third round to the middle of the second round. Another incentive: a team's fourth-round pick would climb five spots in the draft preceding the coach's or GM's third year if he is still with the team. That is considered significant because Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph, two of the four African-American head coaches hired since 2017, were fired after one and two seasons, respectively.

https://www.nfl.com/news/owners-to-vote-on-resolution-to-incentivize-minority-hc-gm-hires

And Mike Tomlin and Marvin Lewis had their Gigs forever with one still having his.  What could possibly be the difference.

Mike Tomlin-10-6 in season 1

Marvin Lewis-8-8

Vance Joseph-5-11, lets give him another year 6-10

Steve Wilks-3-10

Is it possible that maybe they laid out a plan and didn't deliver.

There are definitely some coaches that I wish we fired after one season.  I think owners and GMs are less shy about admitting they made a hiring mistake.  The owners will definitely vote this down. 

Especially since Bill Belichick will begin identifying as an African American.?

Edited by formerlyofCtown

There was a good discussion on this on Mad Dog. The advocacy can't wait until the HG/GM level. They need to increase the pool of minority candidates in the entry level ranks. Another challenge is the skewing of new hires to offensive coaches for which minority candidates are under represented. 

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/nfl-coaching-changes-have-been-offensive-and-we-are-at-a-crossroads-01dxm4rf5jyh

• Like (+1) 1

Adding the caveat that the candidates must be external, and opening the rule up to coordinator jobs as well, should eliminate the issue @GunnerBill outlined in the previous thread. I like this change. It makes sense and doesn't provide any kind of competitive advantage.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Adding the caveat that the candidates must be external, and opening the rule up to coordinator jobs as well, should eliminate the issue @GunnerBill outlined in the previous thread. I like this change. It makes sense and doesn't provide any kind of competitive advantage.

Could it be that the (somewhat ridiculous) resolutions being proposed regarding draft compensation for minority hires are simply being used as the "high ball" in negotiations, which makes instituting the new Rooney Rule changes in that tweet more easily acceptable?

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agree. Sensible, proportionate step. I say let's give this at least 3 hiring cycles and then revisit. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I’m good with the proposed changes here. I like the external candidate portion. I think that eliminates some box checking. The coordinator piece is a nice addition as well. This isn’t the silver bullet but I’d venture to say that more minorities will get jobs from this. 

• Like (+1) 2

I say what if the team owner is a minority or a woman, they should get the 1st pick. Actually the next 3 first pics. Come on Kim, or is she not  a minority since she is married to a white man? All of these rules of who is a minority or not gets confusing. What if you hire a black man from Africa? Hes not a minority there. Is he an African African, or an American African at that point? I dont get the lables. What if he moves back to Africa, is he now formerly an African African that was an American African? Can we just get past skin color and labels?

Edited by thronethinker