Change to Rooney Rule?

bbb

To be voted on:

• If a team hires a minority head coach, that team, in the draft preceding the coach's second season, would move up six spots from where it is slotted to pick in the third round. A team would jump 10 spots under the same scenario for hiring a person of color as its primary football executive, a position more commonly known as general manager.
  • If a team were to fill both positions with diverse candidates in the same year, that club could jump 16 spots -- six for the coach, 10 for the GM -- and potentially move from the top of the third round to the middle of the second round. Another incentive: a team's fourth-round pick would climb five spots in the draft preceding the coach's or GM's third year if he is still with the team. That is considered significant because Steve Wilks and Vance Joseph, two of the four African-American head coaches hired since 2017, were fired after one and two seasons, respectively.

https://www.nfl.com/news/owners-to-vote-on-resolution-to-incentivize-minority-hc-gm-hires

All kidding aside, this is a stupid rule proposal.  In management, my VP used to tell us to use diversity recruiters and prove we have made every effort to seek out diverse candidates.  In my industry (medical device sales) women are also considered diversity candidates as the overwhelming majority of sales reps are Caucasian males.  With that said, Greg always told us as long as we made all efforts to seek out diverse candidates, we should always hire the best person.  When in you’re in a cut throat sales industry, not having the right person equates to suffering sales not unlike professional sports.  

I agree with the Rooney rule as it stands now and it’s intent was sound.

If they really cared, they would provide scholarships for minority grad assistants to get guys on track to be head coaches. I always felt that more white guys are in coaching because they learn at an early age their future in football is off the field

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Mods, can you merge these two threads.  I’m sure it was an honest mistake by the OP.

Like seeing the Rooney Rule trending on twitter, and reading the article attached.  And, coming back twice to be surprised that nobody is talking about the Rooney Rule, which is what I'm looking for in the subject line - and then finally deciding as much as I hate starting threads (I wonder why?), I want to see what everybody's thoughts are so I guess I'll have to start a thread myself.  

18 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

If they really cared, they would provide scholarships for minority grad assistants to get guys on track to be head coaches. I always felt that more white guys are in coaching because they learn at an early age their future in football is off the field

This too. The programs for the league need to run parallel with a ground-floor effort if we're ever really going to have any kind of equity in this space. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

11 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

This too. The programs for the league need to run parallel with a ground-floor effort if we're ever really going to have any kind of equity in this space. 

I'd actually be interested to know what the pool of coaches are.  Having 70% of players being black actually might hurt when it comes to having a large pool of coaches.....................It seems most NFL coaches didn't play in the league.