Minority HC or GM could improve team’s draft position with new proposed resolution

You know the Patriots will be the first to exploit this rule, hiring a black GM and head coach. Of course, Bill Belichick will remain on the staff as Asst HC and Asst GM “for continuity reasons only.”  

Edited by Forward Progress
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, mjt328 said:

What a blatantly racist idea.

If you believe the United States has a problem with RACISM, then you don't FIX IT by giving bonuses/perks to organizations for HIRING BASED ON RACE.  

It's completely ass-backwards.  Honestly, I don't know how people come up with this ridiculous garbage.  Maybe instead of testing the players for CTE, they need to check the folks in the NFL offices for brain damage.

By the way, African Americans make up 12-14 percent of the U.S. population, according to the latest census figures.

If you took that percent and multiplied it by 32 teams, that comes to exactly 4.48.  Which means you would expect to see 4-5 African American head coaches in the NFL at any given time.  There are currently FOUR in the league.  

This is a completely made-up and manufactured "problem."

Quoted for absolute truth. 

The question I have is, how is it fair to give a team better draft status over another?  If you break the rules, you can have picks stripped.  But to allow better picks because your team is inept and had to hire a new coaching staff and front office??  No.

The situation needs to addressed, and not just in the NFL.  If it was left in the hands of the teams to hire minorities without the Rooney Rule, we may see less minorities in top positions today.  

In my mind, it always should be best person for the job.  But only when there is not a bias towards a group.  This attempts to fix that, but falls short by penalizing teams that have good coaches/front office.  Teams like the Browns could do better draft wise nearly every year the way they hire/fire.  And let me ask this, teams tank for better picks.  Would teams now fire a coach or GM that they are on the fence with just to increase draft capital?

Again, this situation needs to be fixed.  Not just in the NFL, but everywhere.  Don’t believe this is the way to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Right, and we as fans often see guys as overrated candidates. It doesn’t change the fact that regardless of race, those guys were hired because they were seen as the best candidates at the time (white or black) They’re not examples of racist intent as biscuit tries to make them. 

Which black coordinators fall under that setup or having a HC position and not being able to get back to that after excelling as a coordinator? I supposed Frazier is an example, but it seems like defensive re-treads are less prevalent. Todd Bowles is on his way to that, but same situation there. I know Lovie Smith got another shot and so did Dungy, but neither of those  are comparable to a Shumur situation. Jim Caldwell got two chances as a HC as a minority after rebuilding his reputation. Am I missing anyone else? 

Jim Caldwell had been to a Superbowl, so had Lovie. Denny Green and Tony Dungy had been to NFCCGs. My point isn't that black head coaches never get a second shot. It is that as a white Head Coach you can be an utter and dismal failure and still get a second shot. It is as @C.Biscuit97 says.... it isn't about race per se as it is as about the old boys network. Shurmer is well connected. He got a 2nd shot despite being a disaster first time and was, entirely predictably, a disaster 2nd time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean this with the upmost respect because I’ve been guilty of this.  But why not post when you are in a better place?  Because for This board that I’m guessing is overwhelming white and probably of a certain philosophy, I think it is a pretty civil conversation right now.

and with all due respect, the comparison of being a player in the nfl and being a coach/ executive is painfully terrible.  Every person can try to play in the nfl.  Not every person is friends with Bill Polian’s son or had a dad like Todd Haley (college golfer, dad was a Steelers exec) to get hook up with.  It’s not a valid comparison in the slightest. 

Could you explain what certain philosophy you’re referring to that you think exists in this board?  It seems to me like you’re just stereotyping everyone on no real basis.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Oh yes. When you pass go, the women playing the game get $240, males get $200. It’s incredible.

If you're talking about it like an absurdity...I hope you're looking at the fact that males have essentially had that advantage in pay equity since...well...forever.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

Could you explain what certain philosophy you’re referring to that you think exists in this board?  It seems to me like you’re just stereotyping everyone on no real basis.  

You dont have to be a sociologist to see it. Just pay attention to any thread that deals with racial topics/Kaep/etc. Or dip your toe into PPP for a few minutes.

I'm not making any commentary on anyone's philosophy, but C.Biscuit isnt wrong for saying it exists here at an almost surprising level.

• Haha (+1) 1

This is such crap.... treat everyone equal is all everyone ever talks about, but there’s always those where it’s not good enough and to say it’s because the color of ones skin or where they’re from maybe they deserve more.... but if you’re white, American, too bad! It’s hypocritical 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You dont have to be a sociologist to see it. Just pay attention to any thread that deals with racial topics/Kaep/etc. Or dip your toe into PPP for a few minutes.

I'm not making any commentary on anyone's philosophy, but C.Biscuit isnt wrong for saying it exists here at an almost surprising level.

It exists everywhere, but what I think you and super woke are doing is letting a vocal few paint a picture of a general group.  I’m just not into someone implying a poster is a racist, then running away with their tails between their legs with no explanation, (not you dr). 

The argument over the exact policy is fine...but the idea that there is no racism or discrimination when it comes to these hiring practices is an absolute joke. There's just less of it than when it was at it's most extreme. That doesn't mean it's "good enough".

We have gotten to a place where we are most likely selecting the best players, but even that took time and addressing long-standing biases that black guys could be at what were always considered some of the most cerebral/leadership positions, such as QB, C, S, MLB. I'm not even sure we're fully there in that regard to be honest. 

But we haven't even come close to creating equality for those cerebral positions in the coaching or especially front office worlds, and that's not just in the NFL. I believe the NBA only has 3 minority GM's and 8 coaches. I could be wrong on the exact numbers, just going by the last time I read up on it, I'm sure it's still pretty close to that. 

Lets take the NHL for example...given the amount of white players in the game...would nobody at all question if most of the coaches and GM's in the NHL were black? I find that incredibly hard to believe. 

It's also not just black or minorities...look at the coaching world for women. It's widely accepted for men to be coaching women's sports, whether it's for the scholastic, Olympic, or professional levels. Not even in the same world for women trying to coach in men's sports.

Look at Becky Hammon in the NBA. Future HOF inductee for the WNBA, has been a top assistant coach for the last 7 years in the NBA for Greg Popovich, one of the greatest to ever do it. Has had numerous great and HOF players on the Spurs openly vouch for her...yet it looks like the only shot she probably has is with the Spurs after/whenever Popovich retires while numerous male retreads get recycled over and over and over again, and young assistants for top coaches, even from Popovich himself elsewhere get opportunities over and over and over again. 

It's a nasty cycle, we're in 2020 and we STILL have these issues. And somehow we STILL have people who are in denial about them. Embarrassingly for me...it's my own fellow white males who are at the forefront of that. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

If you're talking about it like an absurdity...I hope you're looking at the fact that males have essentially had that advantage in pay equity since...well...forever.

It’s a board game. Who plays games that are made inherently unfair? 

Also, who would be so deluded to think that giving women players of a board game an advantage for a reason wholly unrelated to the fictional game to correct an injustice is a good idea? Should men get an extra turn at the Game of Life because they die at a far more alarming rate in the work related accidents compared to women? 

If I was a woman, which I’m not, I would be outright offended that a game with a strictly level playing field, unlike real life, decided to change the rules to give me an unfair advantage. “Sorry you get paid less, but we’ll cheat so you win 12 hour games of  Monopoly more!” 

Nice message being sent. The makers of this game should be embarrassed. 

Edited by FireChans