Minority HC or GM could improve team’s draft position with new proposed resolution

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I wonder about him. I think he will as well, but defensive re-treads don’t seem to get as many shots as offensive re-treads.

I agree 100%   it’s mostly about offense  !!! 
Even it you didn’t succeed your first gig as a HC , and went back few years as a OC and had success especially under a good offensive mind  HC you’ll get another shot !!!

I wonder how long the owners will pretend to debate this before voting down the proposal to move up some spots in the 3rd round in a draft and be stuck with a HC they didn't want in the first place.

This is one wacky proposal.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

70% of the nfl is black.  It’s not the rest of the US population.  You don’t think any of those 70% over the years were qualified to have a leadership job?  

Head coach/play calling and GM are completely different jobs than football player

I dont see NFL head coach as a player who is upgraded to a leadership position

Should a surgeon in the inner city just be one of the nurses who was upgraded to leadership?

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I wonder how this is going to go on this board. ? it’s a very diverse group here.

and yes forcing people to get hired is a problem.  But the lack of diversity at the top levels in the nfl is a serious issue.  And I don’t think it’s racist but rather the buddy buddy system in NFL front offices.  Crappy coaches and executives get passed around because of who they are friends with.  While being a player is a meritocracy, nfl jobs are the opposite of that. 

Right. OK, improving draft stock seems a bit like over correcting too far. But in an African American dominated sport the lack of racial diversity is appalling. This may be the wrong solution, but instead of people whining about it, what is the proper route. Because “just hire the most qualified regardless of race” is not working, and historically has never worked in America. 

• Like (+1) 1

One good move I like in this is removing restrictions from assistance to interview as coordinators. It was silly to begin with DC/OC is clearly a promotion from DL, CB, QB etc. coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right. OK, improving draft stock seems a bit like over correcting too far. But in an African American dominated sport the lack of racial diversity is appalling. This may be the wrong solution, but instead of people whining about it, what is the proper route. Because “just hire the most qualified regardless of race” is not working, and historically has never worked in America. 

I have to ask why is the lack appalling? Which coaching prospect do you feel has not gotten a fair shake? We used to have more so why has it gotten worse?

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

60 years of social engineering through education and the media has dimmed the intellect appreciably. Saw a high school textbook from the early sixties in a Goodwill book sale a number of years back. The vocabulary was way beyond what folks normally imbibe and treat as typical for literacy today. How far we have drifted from MLK's desire for merit and character to become the true basis for discernment.

Yup...Martin Luther King is rolling in his grave...his dream has all but faded as modern identity politics makes it so EVERYBODY is now judged by the color of their skin instead of their merit or character ...such a shame...?

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

I never accused you specifically of anything.  I made a general comment about the comments on this thread being racist while the commenters would likely not admit that or even understand the racism they displayed.  (“Closet racists” is the term I used) You reacted to that.  If you felt that personally, that’s on you.

By the  way, that was engaging in the conversation, whether you understand the legitimacy of the comment or not.  

3 hours ago, FLFan said:

Sorry if  I do not feel insulted by small minded people.  It is really impossible.  

"Small minded people" was not directed at me? 

As for your initial comment, it seems to me, based on the meta-narrative of the thread that your idea of closeted racists would be those who disagree with this rule, or have any problem with similar such rules and measures. Mayhaps I was wrong in assuming that, but I did give you the opportunity to specify what you meant as you accused unknown members of this thread of being racists (closeted or not). Members, who in actuality have been quite civil and understanding in this thread (at least the strong majority). Either way, you didn't want to comment on that, preferring to take pot-shots from the sidelines. At that point you then used the above small minded comment, again, presumably aimed at me. 

Either way, you've offered nothing of substance and you have not in fact engaged the conversation. You've sequestered yourself to the sideline with your moral superiority and have shown no interest to dialogue about the OP, or the content within this thread. Thus, you are a wholly valueless addition to this already jammed packed thread. But, therein lies the beauty of this forum, you're free to do that. Just like I'm free to say I find your casting of aspersions and lack of explanation both tasteless and idiotic, but that is my opinion. 

Have a good one. :)

Edited by whatdrought

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s complicated for sure.  It would nice to have a rational conversation but it’s like discussing the best rap song on a country music board.  

the number of black players in the nfl is ~70%.  So when you understand it that way, the number of Black guys in leadership positions is extremely low.  

again this is different than being a player where you can judge how they perform on their field.  These jobs are very subjective and they are based on who you know.  It’s like a country club and it’s hard to become a member. 

not sure this is the right way but if you were a minority, it’s a start I guess. 

That 70% is there because they are the best at what they do, not because of their skin color. 

Heads would explode if the league said, hey, 70% of the NFL players are black, we need more white people to make it fair.  We are elevating teams draft positions if they draft more white guys. 

Its the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in both scenarios. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love the argument that there is not enough people of diverse ethnic backgrounds coaching and GM ing. As long as they enforce more equality on the player base as well because they are 80 percent African American, then sure, go for it. God forbid there is too many millionaire minority players.....  why isn't equality equal? Is there a draft bonus for drafting white players since they are vastly outnumbered.....

Edited by Sharky7337

This has to be the most cynical NFL proposal ever:

In return for hiring a guy you otherwise weren't interested in and giving him a guaranteed 3-4-5 year contract at 5-6 million per.......you get to move up 10 spots in next year's 3 round!!

That's the worst offer ever.  They are just tossing something out there to show they are very concerned with the paucity of minority HC/GMs.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Maybe you could start a redundant thread about this..

Yeah, I was trying to steal the glory from Yolo.  It's not like I looked all over for a thread about the Rooney Rule since that's what was trending on Twitter....................I hate starting threads.  Maybe this is why. 

I feel so much shame.........

3 minutes ago, Process said:

This can't be real can it? If so it has to be the dumbest idea in NFL history?

Isn't compensating a team for hiring a black person unbelievably racist? 

Not only that, but how will it make the black coach feel to know he was hired because the team had incentive to do so- and not necessarily because he earned it? 

And how will the rest of the league feel, knowing, that in the race for a championship, black coaches got a head start?

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Not only that, but how will it make the black coach feel to know he was hired because the team had incentive to do so- and not necessarily because he earned it? 

And how will the rest of the league feel, knowing, that in the race for a championship, black coaches got a head start?

How would you feel if you earned a shitload of money and prestige for a job you were possibly underqualified for? lmfao

9 minutes ago, bbb said:

Yeah, I was trying to steal the glory from Yolo.  It's not like I looked all over for a thread about the Rooney Rule since that's what was trending on Twitter....................I hate starting threads.  Maybe this is why. 

I feel so much shame.........

All you had to do was look at the thread immediately above yours and you would see that YOLO beat you by 5 hours and 7 pages.  Just sayin....