Minority HC or GM could improve team’s draft position with new proposed resolution

It's really funny how wanting jobs to be based on ability and NOT skin color is considered racist now.  That seems to be the exact opposite of racism.  I know full well racism is alive and well in this country and around the world.  But it's not automatically racism if a minority doesn't get a job as a head coach or GM in the NFL.  In this league where winning is everything, it seems absolutely absurd to think an owner or GM would not want to hire a coach that they felt gave them the best chance to win, simply based on the fact that that candidate is a minority.  All while that example/fictional team is likely upwards of a 70% non-white roster.  It just doesn't compute.

10 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Sorry if  I do not feel insulted by small minded people.  It is really impossible.  

You seem the be the only person on this thread feeling the need to throw insults, which really is interesting since you haven’t actually engaged the conversation at all. But it’s all good. You do what you need to do.

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

And you've been a model of restraint.

Why thank you. I try very hard to stay civil while being indirectly accused of one of the most offensive things humanity has ever conjured. ;)

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I like the Rooney rule. Helps people expand their networks through the interview process. 

GMs usually hire coaches they know or are within their circles. coaches too Often looks for assistants and free agents they know and are within their circles. Just look at all our Carolina connections.  

at a minimum, it gets folks to meet each other in an interview setting and start building relationships. 

You're absolutely right about GMs and coaches hiring those they are familiar with, which just supports my point that the Rooney Rule is just a box checking entity.  Too many minority candidates get an interview based on the Rooney Rule then get passed over for the coaching position that the HC and GM know.  Maybe the interview leads to some networking opportunities, but that is not the intent of the rule.

Anyway, this new new proposed resolution takes that a step further and completely goes against the spirit of sports.

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

What a blatantly racist idea.

If you believe the United States has a problem with RACISM, then you don't FIX IT by giving bonuses/perks to organizations for HIRING BASED ON RACE.  

It's completely ass-backwards.  Honestly, I don't know how people come up with this ridiculous garbage.  Maybe instead of testing the players for CTE, they need to check the folks in the NFL offices for brain damage.

By the way, African Americans make up 12-14 percent of the U.S. population, according to the latest census figures.

If you took that percent and multiplied it by 32 teams, that comes to exactly 4.48.  Which means you would expect to see 4-5 African American head coaches in the NFL at any given time.  There are currently FOUR in the league.  

This is a completely made-up and manufactured "problem."

I don't think this is right. It might be based off of census figures but not everyone fills out a census or sends it back. I never do. 

If these are accurate figures based off a country with a population size of 300,000,000 people then that would mean that there are only 36,000,000-42,000,000 African Americans in this country which seems far to low. I know they are minorities and I could be wrong but that just seems too low

22 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

It's really funny how wanting jobs to be based on ability and NOT skin color is considered racist now.  That seems to be the exact opposite of racism.  I know full well racism is alive and well in this country and around the world.  But it's not automatically racism if a minority doesn't get a job as a head coach or GM in the NFL.  In this league where winning is everything, it seems absolutely absurd to think an owner or GM would not want to hire a coach that they felt gave them the best chance to win, simply based on the fact that that candidate is a minority.  All while that example/fictional team is likely upwards of a 70% non-white roster.  It just doesn't compute.

doesn’t add up because you likely wrote the equation wrong.

while there are almost certainly a few racist owners in sports that consciously think a black guy can run fast but not be a thought leader.... more commonly would likely be the guy that handed the same resume is more prone to subconsciously rate the one he relates to a bit higher, and identifying racially is a way that can happen.

neither of those types of situations see an owner passing on a guy they think will win more, and one isn’t even particularly nefarious.... but could be a legit road block.

When I was a recruiter for the Air Force, we didnt get extra credit for our monthly quota for minorities. However, there was a competition system that came from HQ that would drive the awards. If you were the #1 Squadron or #1 Recruiter in the nation that was HUGE for your career. In that system, of course, minorities were worth more than others.

It was a technicality, that they took advantage of to not look like they were doing what they really were. But my god, if you ever suggested that they were doing this, you would get your ***** jumped like no other. 

Edited by Herc11

Didn't have time to read all the posts---I have no problem wit creating opportunities but this upsets the balance of talent between teams. Give teams a bigger cut of NFL revenue sharing or something.

Edited by 1st&ten

26 minutes ago, Happy said:

You're absolutely right about GMs and coaches hiring those they are familiar with, which just supports my point that the Rooney Rule is just a box checking entity.  Too many minority candidates get an interview based on the Rooney Rule then get passed over for the coaching position that the HC and GM know.  Maybe the interview leads to some networking opportunities, but that is not the intent of the rule.

Anyway, this new new proposed resolution takes that a step further and completely goes against the spirit of sports.

I guess I view the Rooney rule as more of a longer-term “solution” (though I agree with you that that probably isn’t what is intended).

If I am a minority HC candidate, that’s how I am viewing it, at least.  I am going in to make a great impression In the interview and start building relationships. Stay in touch, grab lunch, get together with the GM’s and even owners you interview with. Getting the job offer would be great, but not expected. Few GMs are going to go with an unknown (to them) candidate regardless of color. 

there’s a reason these retreads get a million opportunities; they just know more people. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You seem the be the only person on this thread feeling the need to throw insults, which really is interesting since you haven’t actually engaged the conversation at all. But it’s all good. You do what you need to do.

Why thank you. I try very hard to stay civil while being indirectly accused of one of the most offensive things humanity has ever conjured. ;)

I never accused you specifically of anything.  I made a general comment about the comments on this thread being racist while the commenters would likely not admit that or even understand the racism they displayed.  (“Closet racists” is the term I used) You reacted to that.  If you felt that personally, that’s on you.

By the  way, that was engaging in the conversation, whether you understand the legitimacy of the comment or not.  

Edited by FLFan

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

60 years of social engineering through education and the media has dimmed the intellect appreciably. Saw a high school textbook from the early sixties in a Goodwill book sale a number of years back. The vocabulary was way beyond what folks normally imbibe and treat as typical for literacy today. How far we have drifted from MLK's desire for merit and character to become the true basis for discernment.

Hear hear!!!

well said my friend. 
when we all can look past the color of a persons skin, and find out who they are, we will truly be an equal society. Government and corporations can not do this, we the people must.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

What a blatantly racist idea.

If you believe the United States has a problem with RACISM, then you don't FIX IT by giving bonuses/perks to organizations for HIRING BASED ON RACE.  

It's completely ass-backwards.  Honestly, I don't know how people come up with this ridiculous garbage.  Maybe instead of testing the players for CTE, they need to check the folks in the NFL offices for brain damage.

By the way, African Americans make up 12-14 percent of the U.S. population, according to the latest census figures.

If you took that percent and multiplied it by 32 teams, that comes to exactly 4.48.  Which means you would expect to see 4-5 African American head coaches in the NFL at any given time.  There are currently FOUR in the league.  

This is a completely made-up and manufactured "problem."

Couldn't agree more. The NFL should be ashamed and embarrassed for even coming up with this idea. Its insulting to minorities to incentivize an organization to hire more black gms/hcs. It's like giving a team a coupon for more draft picks. NFL just stop.

• Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Couldn't agree more. The NFL should be ashamed and embarrassed for even coming up with this idea. Its insulting to minorities to incentivize an organization to hire more black gms/hcs. It's like giving a team a coupon for more draft picks. NFL just stop.

I'd imagine it best if minorities could be in charge of deciding what they're insulted by. Show of hands, who here arguing for hiring based on 'merit' would turn down a more prestigious, much higher paying job that they might be underqualified for because the were 'insulted' it was offered to them? 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'd imagine it best if minorities could be in charge of deciding what they're insulted by. Show of hands, who here arguing for hiring based on 'merit' would turn down a more prestigious, much higher paying job that they might be underqualified for because the were 'insulted' it was offered to them? 

That would set a dangerous precedent here

• Haha (+1) 1