Minority HC or GM could improve team’s draft position with new proposed resolution

Look at each position that was filled that Bienemmy (sp?) was passed over for: 

Giants- went with judge trying to avoid repeating the offensive guru mistakes they made back to back.

Panthers- Rhule was the sexy college guy who everyone wanted. 

Redskins- minority on minority crime?

Cowboys- Probably the best argument here, but Jones was never going to hire a first time HC. McCarthy made a ton of sense there. 

Browns- another good argument here, but my guess is it came down to style. Plus, they hired a black gm, so does their draft spot go up?

Which one of these are clearly less qualified and a worse fit than EB? Someone enlighten me.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

Who Biscuit? Whose this dynamite minority coach getting passed over time and again? The KC coordinator who comes from the same spot as Doug Peterson (SB winner) and Matt Nagy (seemingly a flop)? Flip a coin about which one he’ll be. 

Everyone sucked in Cleveland and his re-hiring was because he had once again shown himself to be a top 5-10 offensive coordinator after the Cleveland gig. I’m not saying he was the right hire, but you can’t say that at the time he was the wrong one. That’s hindsight and revisionist. 

The coach who was terrible in Cleveland was terrible in NJ.  It’s not revisionist to think a bad head coach would be bad again.  It’s like expecting Johnny Manziel to be good on another team.  But he was given 2 shots at it before people get 1.

and the whole point is there aren’t enough in the positions to get the opportunity!  How many minority coordinators are there?  

another good example is Rick Smith.  He built a Texans team that makes the playoffs every year.  He gets fired because he doesn’t get along with BOB who has been an absolute disaster as a GM. He’s out of the league. Jerry Reese built SB Giants teams and he was never given another shot.  

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

To believe in any of this nonsense, you'd have to believe an owner would prioritize skin color over the success of his billion dollar investment.

And if you believe that, you clearly have never met anyone who has a billion dollar investment.

what if I don’t believe it, but I haven’t met such a person? Does that make me seem naive?

I went to ecc city campus for engineering trans to rit

Got 3 scholarships great grades

1 was heop 7k rit was at the time on quarters 10 weeks 2 week of school was called in to the financial aid office lost my scholarship, was told I did not qualify

I asked how did i get it in the first place

( I was told all in my first name) it was a mistake.

I had to get 3 jobs on campus to pay for the mix up nobody really cared was almost kicked out of school because I could not pay the access money.

Fast forward to graduation got a great job lay off 2 months later (Gulf war)

Interviewed for 5 jobs in the roch was told at last job interview I did not fit in with the quote a 100 employees need a minority hire.  I asked what she ment was walked to my car and was told I am the wrong sex and color.  At least she was honest.

3.87 GPA with my MS. It's not what you know it's who you know.

Never interviewed again started 4 small businesses and know i have 22 employees and 7 businesses.

And i am Sorry everyone bleeds red 

And i never use all the words to describe people

Edited by scuba guy
Typo

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The coach who was terrible in Cleveland was terrible in NJ.  It’s not revisionist to think a bad head coach would be bad again.  It’s like expecting Johnny Manziel to be good on another team.  But he was given 2 shots at it before people get 1.

and the whole point is there aren’t enough in the positions to get the opportunity!  How many minority coordinators are there?  

another good example is Rick Smith.  He built a Texans team that makes the playoffs every year.  He gets fired because he doesn’t get along with BOB who has been an absolute disaster as a GM. He’s out of the league. Jerry Reese built SB Giants teams and he was never given another shot.  

But at the time, he was seen as a top candidate because he’s restored his reputation and put the Browns thing behind him. Come on. Don’t be dishonest in how you approach this. 

Didn’t Smith walk away cause of a sick wife? Though I won’t fight you that BOB is terrible. 

I mean, on a whole those giant teams were marginal playoff teams that coughlin coached into SB teams, but I guess that’s a perspective thing. 

if you want to talk about lack of opportunities down the line that’s another conversation I’m less familiar with, but it’s not what this rule is about.

Edited by whatdrought

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Another good year for this D and Frazier will be gone I fear. Would like to keep him but good for him. 

I'd like to see him stick around as well but I don't think they'd have too hard a time replacing him if need be. It's McDermott's scheme and he'd surely fine someone to run things the way he wants. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

So, when its viewed that blacks are not fairly represented thats a problem.  70 % of the NFL is black and thats ok? 

Dude, it’s been respectful in this whole conversation.  What is this point you are trying to get across?  Because it makes no sense.  Every human being is allowed to play the sport of football.  Some of more capable than others and make the nfl.  I played through college but the sole reason I didn’t make it in the nfl was because I wasn’t good enough.  It’s a physical thing.  

guys aren’t given the shot to get top level nfl jobs.  It has nothing to do with physical skills.  It’s a subjective process that is based largely on nepotism.  

Just now, blacklabel said:

I'd like to see him stick around as well but I don't think they'd have too hard a time replacing him if need be. It's McDermott's scheme and he'd surely fine someone to run things the way he wants. 

hasn't McD more than once taken away playcalling from Les?

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

But at the time, he was seen as a top candidate because he’s restored his reputation and put the Browns thing behind him. Come on. Don’t be dishonest in how you approach this. 

Didn’t Smith walk away cause of a sick wife? Though I won’t fight you that BOB is terrible. 

I mean, on a whole those giant teams were marginal playoff teams that coughlin coached into SB teams, but I guess that’s a perspective thing. 

I thought Shurmur was a joke when the Browns hired him.  He seemed scared.  

and I looked it up about Smith and that was part of it but there is this article.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2751561-report-bill-obrien-rick-smith-have-toxic-and-dysfunctional-relationship.amp.html

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But what are the other options?  Ozzie Newsome and Mike Tomlin are the best at what they do and it has caused no traction at all.  And you have dudes who are terrible at their jobs who constantly get opportunity after opportunity.  

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bf0153b17c449580257

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I thought Shurmur was a joke when the Browns hired him.  He seemed scared.  

and I looked it up about Smith and that was part of it but there is this article.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2751561-report-bill-obrien-rick-smith-have-toxic-and-dysfunctional-relationship.amp.html

Yep, and he was a bad HC. But still, when he was hired by the giants he was seen as a top candidate. If he gets another shot, come back to me and argue that any black person on the earth was a better option and I’ll concede that one. 

30 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

It shouldn't be a tough conversation.

We should be teaching our children to judge everyone based on the content of their character.  Not based on the color of their skin.  Period.

I fully understand that as a society (meaning the U.S.), we have a terrible history regarding race.  And we still aren't where we need to be. 

But many of the solutions being proposed (Rooney Rule, Affirmative Action, Diversity Initiatives), are NOT working and are actually doing more to divide us.

Instead of encouraging an employer to NOT see skin color, and instead see character when making a hire... these ideas encourage ONLY seeing skin color, or at least making it one of the primary factors.

If I was of a minority race, I wouldn't want an employer to just hire me because they needed to hit a quota.  I would want to live in a society where my skills and qualifications were the driving force behind me getting the job.

Right, because if there's one thing that holds true in this country it's that everyone gets hired on merit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dude, it’s been respectful in this whole conversation.  What is this point you are trying to get across?  Because it makes no sense.  Every human being is allowed to play the sport of football.  Some of more capable than others and make the nfl.  I played through college but the sole reason I didn’t make it in the nfl was because I wasn’t good enough.  It’s a physical thing.  

guys aren’t given the shot to get top level nfl jobs.  It has nothing to do with physical skills.  It’s a subjective process that is based largely on nepotism.  

My point is I think it is stupid.  Giving a team a competitive advantage based on ethnic background.  When the percentages are close to proportional whats the problem?  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Right, because if there's one thing that holds true in this country it's that everyone gets hired on merit.

So apply that to specifics of this conversation. Which NFL coach was or was not hired on the basis of race? 

This will be a testy thread, some folk don’t think there is racism or racial inequality on any level in America, I for one know that there is. It is good that the NFL has the balls to discus the topic, where it will go remains to be seen.

Go Bills!!!