Josh's next step in reading defenses

This take is based on an article from Sal Capaccio, which in turn is based on Josh Allen's appearance on a show on CBS Sports.  The show's MC is Tony Romo and he interviews Allen along with Sam Darnold and Daniel Jones.  Romo's question:  "What aspect of the game seemed very difficult when you started in the NFL, but is much easier now?"  

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/allen-eliminate-what-the-defense-cant-be-playing

Josh didn't exactly answer the question, but went into what he's been working on in the off season with regards to reading defenses.  He's been studying his film from last season under Ken Dorsey's  long distance tutelage.  Essentially, he states that in the past he was trying to read things in the defense that he didn't need to read.  To clarify, in his pre snap reads, every QB can and should determine what basic defense he's facing.  In any given defensive alignment, there are things the defense can do and things they can't.  In the presnap read, the QB should already be determining what the defense can't do, unless they switch out of that defense.  Therefore, once the ball is snapped, some the reads you might otherwise have to make can be eliminated, so the QB can focus more on what remains.  He growing edge is to become more consistent in eliminating what he doesn't need to read (post snap) so he can go through the essential reads more quickly.  That will result in a quicker release on lots of plays, which will reduce sacks and provide relief to the offensive line.  The caveat is the fact that lots of defensive coordinators (including Bill Belichick and McDermott/Frazier) teach their defenses to line up in one alignment and then shift at the snap into something else on many plays.  The QB has to be alert for that, and change his post snap reads accordingly. 

If Josh can develop this part of his game so it does become consistent, it could make a significant difference in his overall play.  If he can do that, and rediscover his long ball accuracy, we may have a top 10 QB.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Josh is just a smart guy and completely dedicated to being great.  His release is quick; he has still been learning how to play QB because he started playing the position relatively "late" in his young life.  He has had SO much catching up to do.

I really think he's going to jump off the page this season; the crowd who thought he'd never make it will be eating heaping servings of crow.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, eball said:

Josh is just a smart guy and completely dedicated to being great.  His release is quick; he has still been learning how to play QB because he started playing the position relatively "late" in his young life.  He has had SO much catching up to do.

I really think he's going to jump off the page this season; the crowd who thought he'd never make it will be eating heaping servings of crow.

Oh, they'll still find fault. They'll nitpick his negative plays and disregard his positive plays. Besides, he has such an advantage over other QB's because he is in a good situation and has continuity. Have to ding him for that too.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Oh, they'll still find fault. They'll nitpick his negative plays and disregard his positive plays. Besides, he has such an advantage over other QB's because he is in a good situation and has continuity. Have to ding him for that too.

Yep. If Josh Allen is successful it will always be about the team and coaching around and for a guy like Sam Darnold it will always about what he doesn't have and the lack of coaching around him no matter what

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, eball said:

I should have been more careful about the way I said it.  The mechanics of Allen's release are indeed quick.  I'm speaking more generally about getting rid of the ball more quickly.  On some plays it is going to take time because the play may be a slow developing play.  At other times, if Allen is not having to make some unnecessary reads, he can get through the essential reads more quickly, and reduce the pressure on his offensive line.  For a long time Tom Brady was one of the hardest QBs in the league to sack.  A major factor in that is Brady's ability to make quick reads post snap.  It's not a stretch to assume Brady has had a good grasp of what reads are unnecessary, so he's no wasting time making them.

18 hours ago, eball said:

Nonsense.  They will just change the definition.  They have psychology allergy to crow. 

We all know that “some” won’t be able to wrap there brain around Allen succeeding on any level. They will wear themselves out talking around any success. 

It is good to see Allen continue to refine/become more efficient in his craft, the kid is relentless in his desire to succeed. Gotta like that !

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

I have no doubt that Josh will continue to develop his defense reading skills this year. The challenge is whether Dabolls passing schemes will be designed well enough for him to take advantage of it. A passing attack is all about design. Receivers have to come up at different times in a progression across the field from left to right or vice versa. If the timing of the progression design is off, that open receiver will be ‘closed’ again by the time the QBs eyes get across to that side of the field.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:40 PM, TigerJ said:

This take is based on an article from Sal Capaccio, which in turn is based on Josh Allen's appearance on a show on CBS Sports.  The show's MC is Tony Romo and he interviews Allen along with Sam Darnold and Daniel Jones.  Romo's question:  "What aspect of the game seemed very difficult when you started in the NFL, but is much easier now?"  

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/allen-eliminate-what-the-defense-cant-be-playing

Josh didn't exactly answer the question, but went into what he's been working on in the off season with regards to reading defenses.  He's been studying his film from last season under Ken Dorsey's  long distance tutelage.  Essentially, he states that in the past he was trying to read things in the defense that he didn't need to read.  To clarify, in his pre snap reads, every QB can and should determine what basic defense he's facing.  In any given defensive alignment, there are things the defense can do and things they can't.  In the presnap read, the QB should already be determining what the defense can't do, unless they switch out of that defense.  Therefore, once the ball is snapped, some the reads you might otherwise have to make can be eliminated, so the QB can focus more on what remains.  He growing edge is to become more consistent in eliminating what he doesn't need to read (post snap) so he can go through the essential reads more quickly.  That will result in a quicker release on lots of plays, which will reduce sacks and provide relief to the offensive line.  The caveat is the fact that lots of defensive coordinators (including Bill Belichick and McDermott/Frazier) teach their defenses to line up in one alignment and then shift at the snap into something else on many plays.  The QB has to be alert for that, and change his post snap reads accordingly. 

If Josh can develop this part of his game so it does become consistent, it could make a significant difference in his overall play.  If he can do that, and rediscover his long ball accuracy, we may have a top 10 QB.

Isn't going to the line and pretending to snap the ball, and then seeing how the defense moves a good way to gauge what they're trying to do?

I agree Tiger. As I posted in another thread, if you look where his sub 60% games were last year, it was against the coaches are best at disguising what they’re doing. 

Once he crosses that hurdle, sky is the limit!

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have no doubt that Josh will continue to develop his defense reading skills this year. The challenge is whether Dabolls passing schemes will be designed well enough for him to take advantage of it. A passing attack is all about design. Receivers have to come up at different times in a progression across the field from left to right or vice versa. If the timing of the progression design is off, that open receiver will be ‘closed’ again by the time the QBs eyes get across to that side of the field.

I mean yes, but you really think that wasn't in the play design the last two years? You basing this on evidence or a hunch (genuine question)?

Cause I'm going with hunch:

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 2

I think what you saw last year was Josh tryinbg to stay in the pocket more and "being a quarterback" as opposed to the year before......and learning to the throw the ball away and live another day was another thing you saw improvement on.

Would really like to see him work on his long ball accuracy this offseason.....putting more air under the ball and being mindful of his footwork mechanics when he throws it.

but....i am sure Dorsey and the bills are all over this stuff........having more players that can track the ball in the air will also help.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think what you saw last year was Josh tryinbg to stay in the pocket more and "being a quarterback" as opposed to the year before......and learning to the throw the ball away and live another day was another thing you saw improvement on.

Would really like to see him work on his long ball accuracy this offseason.....putting more air under the ball and being mindful of his footwork mechanics when he throws it.

but....i am sure Dorsey and the bills are all over this stuff........having more players that can track the ball in the air will also help.

I am hoping a lot of the long ball stuff is overblown (no pun intended...you'll see).

Basically every home game to end the season starting with that Eagles game was crazy crazy windy, and I'm sure that played a huge part in not reverting back to the mean at least a bit, because the start of the year was bad for sure deep ball wise.

A lot of the deep shots seemed like they happened at the end of progressions last year (could be wrong here), which might be why he couldn't put as much air under the ball. This article makes me think he will be able to better recognize a saftey can't possibly get to a spot on the field, so he can throw it earlier and therefore higher so it can take longer to get to the spot.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:40 PM, TigerJ said:

"What aspect of the game seemed very difficult when you started in the NFL, but is much easier now?"  

Hopefully the answer this year will be: "audibling out of the crappy play being broadcast into my helmet form upstairs".

• Like (+1) 2