Limeaid

CBS: Breakdown the cost of no fans for games

12 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

Reminds me of the housing market crash and WNY’s relative immunity to it. You don’t have as far to fall if you aren’t sitting on top of a ridiculous bubble. Maybe WNY ain’t such a bad place after all...

I don't know, I guess in the grand scheme of things it is the least rotted apple, but losing 30% of your revenue has to sting.  As far as WNY, the weather has been absolutely miserable here this spring.  It was 68 and sunny Saturday and everybody was acting like it was an 85 degree day because the norm has been mid 50's, overcast and rain the past two months.  Everybody especially from the outside mocks WNY for their winters but for my money spring is the worst time weather wise for WNY.  This winter was great, I think I shoveled 3 times this past winter and didn't shovel once after 2nd week of December.  We never have a nice spring here, winter rolls right into summer.  I have gotten 11 rounds of golf in this year so far though.

2 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Thats not just being in a mood, that literally giving zero ***** about the people that work there. Hate the people at the top all you want, and forever reasons you want, but if those companies loose revenue than typically people are out of a job...

What I mean is how the article is presented.  The article does not talk about how it will effect the little guy.  It talks about how it will effect the bottom dollar.

"And while you'd save on expenses like event staffing, you'd still lose out on millions in concession sales and parking."

"A loss of local revenue in the tens of millions will significantly impact operations for each team in the NFL, and it will especially harm the teams who have been nearing the edge. As teams begin to count the money that won't be coming in this fall, they're focused even more on making sure more doesn't go out the door."

"And even if that sponsor stays with the team, it still has to see value commensurate with its investment. That won't happen if it's purchased a luxury suite or naming rights to a now-closed gate entrance."

"At the risk of upsetting a current sponsor, teams would have to be mindful to avoid a Coke-vs.-Pepsi-like conflict. But this could open the door for a newcomer in the sponsorship world. "

8 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

If you have been at Sunday ticket subscriber this year directv is give you the Sunday Ticket free if charge.  That will significantly cut into revenue potential in your scenario. 

Sunday ticket is free this year?

On 5/15/2020 at 11:39 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

1st off the canary in the coal mine is MLB.  The NFL will be looking at the success or failure of baseball's attempt at playing in empty stadiums & keeping the players from getting sick.  

Now say MLB shows playing a season with no fans is feasible.  My suggestion for increasing revenues is to open all games up for pay per view  through the team or league's website and/or with all cable providers.  They would have to make a deal with Direct TV to give up their exclusive rights, but if they charged $25 per game, people like me who live in areas where we'll only get about half the Bills games on local TV would gladly pay the $25/game to be able to sit at home and watch a Bills game.  This is especially true for people who don't want to go to a crowded bar or other facility that has Sunday Ticket.  

Why not watch all Bills games for free on the internet?  It's as easy as using this forum.

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And it goes further downstream than that.  The companies that produce the Bills merchandise - tshirts or whathaveyou, being sold at the game, and whatever specialty Bills logo cups and containers may be sold at concessions.  The companies that print the programs (whooopsie, don't go there).   The vendors that supply the food and beverage that the stadium sells.

Big interconnected effect, it's not just the ticket prices.

You are right, the more you think about it the list goes on and on. I hope they can figure something out and get at least some fans in the stands. If I still lived in Buffalo, I would go....

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sunday ticket is free this year?

Direct reached out to my family and said that they would provide the Sunday Ticket Max 2020 "is on us"   We did nothing.  This offer was completely unsolicited. 

We have purchased the NFL package from Directv since the mid 90's.

I wish I could give you more information. 

17 hours ago, Gordio said:

I don't know, I guess in the grand scheme of things it is the least rotted apple, but losing 30% of your revenue has to sting.  As far as WNY, the weather has been absolutely miserable here this spring.  It was 68 and sunny Saturday and everybody was acting like it was an 85 degree day because the norm has been mid 50's, overcast and rain the past two months.  Everybody especially from the outside mocks WNY for their winters but for my money spring is the worst time weather wise for WNY.  This winter was great, I think I shoveled 3 times this past winter and didn't shovel once after 2nd week of December.  We never have a nice spring here, winter rolls right into summer.  I have gotten 11 rounds of golf in this year so far though.

You don’t have to sell me on the weather, brotato chip. We lived down south for almost a decade. I could not stand the summers down there. 95+ degrees with the humidity for 8 straight weeks is inhumane. F that. I love all the seasons in WNY, but I agree with you that cold rain is the worst. I’d much rather have snow than that. 

23 hours ago, Gordio said:

I have gotten 11 rounds of golf in this year so far though.

Only 11?  37 down here, my man...gotta love NC.

But I hear you, @jimmy10 -- the summers can be brutal.

interesting

the pandemic prevents fans from filling the stadium (and buying alcohol there), it’s possible that fans will still be permitted to gather outside the stadium in a way that promotes social distancing and in turn limits the spread of the coronavirus. If permitted by state and local regulations to congregate safely in these spaces, why not sell them stuff? And it surely wouldn’t just be alcohol but food and merchandise and some of the products that the Vikings otherwise would be selling if fans were inside the building

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2020 at 1:19 AM, longtimebillsfan said:

If you have been at Sunday ticket subscriber this year directv is give you the Sunday Ticket free if charge.  That will significantly cut into revenue potential in your scenario. 

Actually, I got a letter from them today giving me 2020 Sunday ticket for nothing.  I only had Sunday ticket one year, 2015 I think.  I have no clue what is going on....but, I do have a substantial bill monthly from Directv and have been with them a long time.  I think its a loyality marketing thing, maybe.  Of course, they may have an insight that there isn't going to be a season, so it won't  cost them any revenue. (I hope that isn't true)

Edited by bigK14094
Added content

14 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Actually, I got a letter from them today giving me 2020 Sunday ticket for nothing.  I only had Sunday ticket one year, 2015 I think.  I have no clue what is going on....but, I do have a substantial bill monthly from Directv and have been with them a long time.  I think its a loyality marketing thing, maybe.  Of course, they may have an insight that there isn't going to be a season, so it won't  cost them any revenue. (I hope that isn't true)

That is a funny concept.  They give us the su day ticket for free, create good will, knowing there won't be a season?   That almost seems possible. 

On 5/20/2020 at 6:45 AM, eball said:

Haha, 11 rounds up here before memorial day is quite an accomplishment, especially with the spring we had.  Like I said we go from winter right into summer, supposed to be in the 80s starting next week.  

On 5/15/2020 at 10:39 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

1st off the canary in the coal mine is MLB.  The NFL will be looking at the success or failure of baseball's attempt at playing in empty stadiums & keeping the players from getting sick.  

Now say MLB shows playing a season with no fans is feasible.  My suggestion for increasing revenues is to open all games up for pay per view  through the team or league's website and/or with all cable providers.  They would have to make a deal with Direct TV to give up their exclusive rights, but if they charged $25 per game, people like me who live in areas where we'll only get about half the Bills games on local TV would gladly pay the $25/game to be able to sit at home and watch a Bills game.  This is especially true for people who don't want to go to a crowded bar or other facility that has Sunday Ticket.  

I know I wouldn’t gladly pay 25$ a game if my small business went under or I am barely getting any work. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/20/2020 at 6:45 AM, eball said:

“Inhumane” is the word I’d use. 

24 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

“Inhumane” is the word I’d use. 

Nah, you've just got to get out in it enough that your body begins to assimilate.  That's what a lot of golfing (and having a pool) has done for me...we're outside so much that now it doesn't affect me nearly the way it used to.

I'm not worried about how a bunch of billionaires are going to get by. I'm worried about how my business and employees are going to survive.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/21/2020 at 9:56 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I know I wouldn’t gladly pay 25$ a game if my small business went under or I am barely getting any work. 

Agreed. Many of us have no idea of the suffering many are facing. I personally ha e been very fortunate on it's affects on my wife and I. So I can't go out to eat. Big deal. Can't find my favorite brand at the store or online. Big deal. Out of work? Losing a business my life's invested in? Now that's a big deal.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:12 AM, Limeaid said:

No Fans Allowed? What empty stadiums would cost NFL teams and how they're trying to solve the financial strain

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/no-fans-allowed-what-empty-stadiums-would-cost-nfl-teams-and-how-theyre-trying-to-solve-the-financial-strain/

First part of a three part article.

To me the additionally advertising comps are the most interesting part especially since I rarely pay attention to advertising and I am more likely to not buy a product heavily advertised figuring price has been raised to cover costs.

"Financial strain" would be laughable if it was meant to be funny.  That corporation and most of it's players makes obscene amounts of money year after year and has been doing so for decades.  There are a great many people and companies that really are under a financial strain now, which makes that article obscene.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:58 AM, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

NFL is planning on full attendance, barring unforeseen circumstances. My brother in queens heard this on the radio Saturday, this is the only article I could find on it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-is-planning-to-have-full-stadiums-when-2020-season-begins-163452146.html

LSU mentioned masks at games this fall being possible. Big college football has higher attendance than a lot of nfl stadiums. Could be an indicator of some optimism around this.