Limeaid

CBS: Breakdown the cost of no fans for games

I’m not reading it. The losses will be huge for some. Merely a bump in the road for most of these billionaires. Some will struggle more than others. The mere millionaires (players) will struggle more, but then they always were faced with how to spend the next 60 years. 

13 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I’m sorry to hear that but making people pay 25 a game Seems pretty out of touch considering people were already paying 300 for access to hundreds of games for the direct ticket. But if continuing to screw the little guy while bailing out and giving more money to billionaires is your thing then have at it. 

Some will never get Direct TV and have no interested in hundreds of games they will not be watching.

As far as crowd noise, what if there was a way to cheer from our home and have it channeled to the speakers in the stadium? Like an app through our phones or something. It seems more authentic than pumping generic crowd noise. Neighbors might think we're nuts but oh well. 

And get about 50k of those advertising blow up / dancing figures and have the noise, when it gets to a certain decibel,  inflate them and makes them go crazy. 

This, until we get the proper hologram tech to virtually put us in the seats. 

😜

On 5/15/2020 at 10:53 AM, MarkyMannn said:

Doesn't Nascar have a race this weekend with empty stands?

Let’s be real, does crowd noise have any affect on NASCAR outcomes. NO

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Huh? Are you ok? This isn’t new. Yes live. It’s been like that for 7 years or so? 

I thought direct tv was the only way to legally watch an outside market game. I’ll have to look into this. Thanks. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I thought direct tv was the only way to legally watch an outside market game. I’ll have to look into this. Thanks. 

This is correct. The programming offered through gaming consoles is provided by DirecTV (AT&T) amd you still have to have an NFL Sunday Ticket subscription to watch. They have exclusivity through 2022 to provide out of market games. 

Edited by K-9

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This is correct. The programming offered through gaming consoles is provided by DirecTV (AT&T) amd you still have to have an NFL Sunday Ticket subscription to watch. They have exclusivity through 2022 to provide out of market games. 

Right. You download the NFL Sunday Ticket app and you can watch all out of market games. The prices changes a bit each year, last year I think it was 300. The quality is good, when it first started it had some problems. That was 2012ish. 

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Got ya. Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/15/2020 at 12:06 PM, Mr Wild said:

Boy I know Im just in a mood today, but I dont really care if muiltibillion dollar companies lose some money.

How does it affect advertising?  Oh boy how will Geico, Budwieser and Pizza Hut be able to manage...

You should care about all the people who depend on working concessions, security, parking. The restaurants that see increased business, the hotels that will sit empty on those days. The tax revenue the county and state lose.  It’s not just The owners who lose out. The jealousy of the wealthy is a problem in this country...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I’m sorry to hear that but making people pay 25 a game Seems pretty out of touch considering people were already paying 300 for access to hundreds of games for the direct ticket. But if continuing to screw the little guy while bailing out and giving more money to billionaires is your thing then have at it. 

I don't get where you're coming from.  I'm talking about opening the option to buy an individual game for people who are not paying $300 for a season but would like to see a certain game.  Exactly how is my paying $25 to see one of the 7 or 8 Bills games not on local TV in Albany out of touch or hurting the little guy.  I'm willing to pay $25.  Most people who go to bars will pay pretty close to that in food & drinks anyway.  

If anything is screwing the people, it's the exclusive contract with Direct TV.  I think Direct TV sucks & will never subscribe to it, therefore I can't get Sunday Ticket & considering I get about half the Bills games on local TV & don't have much of a desire to watch a lot of other teams games why would I ever consider paying $300 for 7-8 Bills games?  

Now if you've read my other posts in this string, you know I pay $1 a game admission to OTB  to get my own little 19" TV & my own booth for Bills games not on home TV which is less than $10/season.  Some games I get in free if I'm wearing a Bills jersey.  But if things are closed, I'm willing for one season to pay per game at home.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:53 PM, StHustle said:

Has anyone heard of teams considering virtual reality seats? Not sure if that would make financial sense for just one season but Im sure there is a market for fans to be able to put on VR goggles and view the game as if they were there.

I actually thought about something like that a few years ago when VR became more common, as a new way for the league to increase revenue (I’m sure I wasn’t the only one). The purchase of a virtual ticket that “puts” fans in the stadium would give out-of-towners a new option for watching their favorite team, yet would not completely or in large part replace season ticket holders. You could have, say, 5 video access “seats”. Two in each end zone (ground level), one at the 50 yard line (just above lower bowl) and 2 at each 25 or 20 yard line (just above lower bowl). 

Things like additional advertising (separate from what you’re already seeing in your goggles within the stadium via LED boards, possibly somewhat transparent in display) could be implemented through the VR video transmission as well. Pre-game warmups, and in-game commentary could become optional add-on packages for an additional fee. Perhaps there would be more things that the league could implement as the technology advances.

It seems like the NFL has been a little bit behind the curve when it comes to using technology to improve its product, even in a case like this when it could directly increase revenue. Granted, there would need to be a bigger VR market in place before the league cater and would spend bookoo bucks on something that could end up being a fad (like 3D seems to have been 6-8 years ago), although VR seems like something that will evolve and thrive for some time. 

On 5/15/2020 at 4:30 PM, Boatdrinks said:

I only judge on if I like a product and find that the quality is better than the competition

And where exactly do you find out about new products to even make that judgement? My guess is advertising. You have a very simple view of the goal behind advertising if you think it is literally to make people immediately buy that product. Its about brand awareness, creating a culture around a brand. Its not hard to resist buying a product after seeing a commercial a few times, it is near impossible to be impervious to all advertising in general subconsciously.

34 minutes ago, jletha said:

And where exactly do you find out about new products to even make that judgement? My guess is advertising. You have a very simple view of the goal behind advertising if you think it is literally to make people immediately buy that product. Its about brand awareness, creating a culture around a brand. Its not hard to resist buying a product after seeing a commercial a few times, it is near impossible to be impervious to all advertising in general subconsciously.

Another poster stated that he doesn’t buy products that are heavily advertised, figuring the price is inflated to cover the cost. I stated that I buy A. What I like and B if I find the quality to be superior. I made no claims about my personal feelings toward advertising, marketing etc. Of course I’m not impervious to advertising ; most people aren’t. My views on advertising are not simple.  I’ve taken marketing courses in college .One of my parents was in top management of marketing for a major international financial institution for most of their career.  I’ve actually got more than a rudimentary understanding of marketing and branding concepts, etc. 

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Reminds me of the housing market crash and WNY’s relative immunity to it. You don’t have as far to fall if you aren’t sitting on top of a ridiculous bubble. Maybe WNY ain’t such a bad place after all...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Is that net or gross?  Some stadiums still have payments due which some teams will have trouble paying hence teams allowable debt ceiling was raised.  Sort of like US every year.

On 5/17/2020 at 12:06 PM, Meatloaf63 said:

You should care about all the people who depend on working concessions, security, parking. The restaurants that see increased business, the hotels that will sit empty on those days. The tax revenue the county and state lose.  It’s not just The owners who lose out. The jealousy of the wealthy is a problem in this country...

And it goes further downstream than that.  The companies that produce the Bills merchandise - tshirts or whathaveyou, being sold at the game, and whatever specialty Bills logo cups and containers may be sold at concessions.  The companies that print the programs (whooopsie, don't go there).   The vendors that supply the food and beverage that the stadium sells.

Big interconnected effect, it's not just the ticket prices.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

On 5/15/2020 at 8:39 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

1st off the canary in the coal mine is MLB.  The NFL will be looking at the success or failure of baseball's attempt at playing in empty stadiums & keeping the players from getting sick.  

Now say MLB shows playing a season with no fans is feasible.  My suggestion for increasing revenues is to open all games up for pay per view  through the team or league's website and/or with all cable providers.  They would have to make a deal with Direct TV to give up their exclusive rights, but if they charged $25 per game, people like me who live in areas where we'll only get about half the Bills games on local TV would gladly pay the $25/game to be able to sit at home and watch a Bills game.  This is especially true for people who don't want to go to a crowded bar or other facility that has Sunday Ticket.  

If you have been at Sunday ticket subscriber this year directv is give you the Sunday Ticket free if charge.  That will significantly cut into revenue potential in your scenario. 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:06 PM, Mr Wild said:

Boy I know Im just in a mood today, but I dont really care if muiltibillion dollar companies lose some money.

How does it affect advertising?  Oh boy how will Geico, Budwieser and Pizza Hut be able to manage...

Thats not just being in a mood, that literally giving zero ***** about the people that work there. Hate the people at the top all you want, and forever reasons you want, but if those companies loose revenue than typically people are out of a job...