Limeaid

CBS: Breakdown the cost of no fans for games

4 hours ago, jletha said:

This is a very silly argument and not true, also everyone is impacted by advertising in some way like it or not.

Yes, and and teams have local revenue streams from in stadium advertising on gamedays. No fans and that goes away. E are largely talking about local revenues for teams. The national scene should be better than ever as far as TV viewership. However, a lot of large companies have lost money too, and advertising budgets could shrink. As for buying products that are advertised , I only judge on if I like a product and find that the quality is better than the competition. 

5 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

1st off the canary in the coal mine is MLB.  The NFL will be looking at the success or failure of baseball's attempt at playing in empty stadiums & keeping the players from getting sick.  

Now say MLB shows playing a season with no fans is feasible.  My suggestion for increasing revenues is to open all games up for pay per view  through the team or league's website and/or with all cable providers.  They would have to make a deal with Direct TV to give up their exclusive rights, but if they charged $25 per game, people like me who live in areas where we'll only get about half the Bills games on local TV would gladly pay the $25/game to be able to sit at home and watch a Bills game.  This is especially true for people who don't want to go to a crowded bar or other facility that has Sunday Ticket.  

You do realize this is 2020 and you can find almost anything on the internet? 

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

NFL does some VR stuff but I do not think they are ready for thousands of VR viewers.

It's really not there yet. They could certainly offer an option from a few view points like the NCAA has done for March Madness, but for a range of reasons (quality, comfort over multiple hours, hardware availability, device compatibility, etc) make VR exploratory at best at the moment.

However people will still pay for access. If you had a ($20?) per game package that gave you access to various feeds around the stadium I think you'd find a market. Couple be All-22, sideline/coach cams, end zone, pylon, etc. Perhaps even historically media only feeds like pre-game/warm-ups and post game pressers. I think if you offered a new enhanced experience not available from broadcast you'd get interest. Maybe there's tiered access pricing where say the equivalent of a 'club level' seat could include some type of Zoom sessions with players, submitting of virtual signs to place around the stadium, access to the player real-time stats data, or live viewing rooms with other fans (including opposing fans). I can come up with all sorts of ideas really.

I have no doubt the NFL will figure out some new revenue streams and the real innovative teams will end up with happy fans. Curious to see which teams those are.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

Doesn't Nascar have a race this weekend with empty stands?

I try to give everything a shot but man, I don’t know anyone watches that “sport.”

Ive reached the point of my life where I’d rather tailgate and then go watch the game somewhere else besides the stadium.  Games in person suck compared to being at a good house party or bar.  Tailgating is awesome.  If the Vegas game happens, I’m going to enjoy Vegas and watch the game poolside. 

5 hours ago, jletha said:

This is a very silly argument and not true, also everyone is impacted by advertising in some way like it or not.

Well if the retail world depended on people like me 90% of

malls would be shuttered. Personally I find people who do so called recreational shopping to be really weird. 

5 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

Doesn't Nascar have a race this weekend with empty stands?

Totally different than teams playing each other on the same field.  There's been empty stands at horse racing tracks since March and every day since they're racing at multiple tracks.  Nascar is a lot closer to horse racing than baseball or football.  If baseball makes it, the NFL has a chance, if baseball can't pull it off, the NFL has no chance of starting the season on time.  

50 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

You do realize this is 2020 and you can find almost anything on the internet? 

I'd rather watch it on my large screen TV legally & not have to worry about shut downs during the game & viruses.  The last time I streamed a Bills game from a questionable site, in December 2017,  I missed part of the game.  I had no choice because I was (medically) unable to leave my house.  It's doesn't meet my standards.  

45 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I'd rather watch it on my large screen TV legally & not have to worry about shut downs during the game & viruses.  The last time I streamed a Bills game from a questionable site, in December 2017,  I missed part of the game.  I had no choice because I was (medically) unable to leave my house.  It's doesn't meet my standards.  

It could meet your standards if you knew what you were doing. If not, then you're definitely right to pay for cable or DirecTV. But it's basically a hefty convenience fee.

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It could meet your standards if you knew what you were doing. If not, then you're definitely right to pay for cable or DirecTV. But it's basically a hefty convenience fee.

In a normal year I can go to OTB for $1 admission & get my own booth with a personal 19" TV.  We get around half the games on local TV or more, so it's not that great an inconvenience to go to OTB for less than $10 a season.  Right now OTB is closed, so I may not have that convenience until they open again. 

You make it sound easy to get illegal streams off the internet, but I've dabbled in those streams from time to time & have had in game shut downs & other problems.  I'm no techie.  

10 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

1st off the canary in the coal mine is MLB.  The NFL will be looking at the success or failure of baseball's attempt at playing in empty stadiums & keeping the players from getting sick.  

Now say MLB shows playing a season with no fans is feasible.  My suggestion for increasing revenues is to open all games up for pay per view  through the team or league's website and/or with all cable providers.  They would have to make a deal with Direct TV to give up their exclusive rights, but if they charged $25 per game, people like me who live in areas where we'll only get about half the Bills games on local TV would gladly pay the $25/game to be able to sit at home and watch a Bills game.  This is especially true for people who don't want to go to a crowded bar or other facility that has Sunday Ticket.  

But what happens to the billions paid by over the air TV for game rights when you now make games PPV?

5 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

Hoping for a return to normalcy by the start of the season.. just my opinion 

Don't count on normal. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

They would needs thousands of vr cameras, otherwise people are going to get dizzy.  

They wouldn't need thousands in each stadium...only hundreds. You woildnt need one in each seat just different zones so you could hit all the angles. If you bought your actual seat...would it be your exact view? Probably not but pretty damn close. They could sell the same camera views over and over plus sell all the cameras when no longer needed. It could be a pretty big money maker and at the very least recoup lost funds for fans not being physically in the stadium.

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Well I suppose the could install Point of View cameras on players and charge different amounts for QB, WR, RB, Safety, kick returner, etc

Great idea...could be sold as add ons.

Edited by StHustle

Posted (edited)

How about they get drones that fly around the stadium and they can sell the video feeds.  You would be ALOT closer to the action...

Also, they could put advertising in the corners of the video, like how soccer games do it...

Edited by hjnick

Ads on jerseys coming to a stadium near you......

9 hours ago, iinii said:

Ads on jerseys coming to a stadium near you......

Players would be fine with that as long as the split is 50%-30%-20% (player, team, NFPLA for future holdout funds)

23 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Players would be fine with that as long as the split is 50%-30%-20% (player, team, NFPLA for future holdout funds)

Not sure the owners would go for that breakdown

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But what happens to the billions paid by over the air TV for game rights when you now make games PPV?

You missed my point.  I want to make the games that are not televised locally available for PPV.  The Network's local station in Albany (and everywhere else) can only show 1 game at a time.  That's what they paid for. If the Jets are in Albany on over the air TV, I want the ability to buy the Bills game on at the same time.  It's basically making Sunday Ticket's individual games available on a pay per view basis for people who don't want Direct TV and the whole Sunday Ticket package. 

23 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Uhhh welcome to 2020 you can buy a package through PS4 or other streaming services and it’s like 300 for the entire season. All out of market games. 

5 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You missed my point.  I want to make the games that are not televised locally available for PPV.  The Network's local station in Albany (and everywhere else) can only show 1 game at a time.  That's what they paid for. If the Jets are in Albany on over the air TV, I want the ability to buy the Bills game on at the same time.  It's basically making Sunday Ticket's individual games available on a pay per view basis for people who don't want Direct TV and the whole Sunday Ticket package. 

I get what you’re saying, but that defeats the entire concept of exclusivity that DIRECTV (AT&T) paid $12b over eight years for in 2014. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2020 at 5:49 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

Totally different than teams playing each other on the same field.  There's been empty stands at horse racing tracks since March and every day since they're racing at multiple tracks.  Nascar is a lot closer to horse racing than baseball or football.  If baseball makes it, the NFL has a chance, if baseball can't pull it off, the NFL has no chance of starting the season on time.  

I’m sorry to hear that but making people pay 25 a game Seems pretty out of touch considering people were already paying 300 for access to hundreds of games for the direct ticket. But if continuing to screw the little guy while bailing out and giving more money to billionaires is your thing then have at it. 

Edited by Rocbillsfan1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

And watch live?

I don’t think so.... you typically have to wait until 5 for the 1 PM games and 8 for the 4 PM games.

You think you’ll have that choice?😅

Huh? Are you ok? This isn’t new. Yes live. It’s been like that for 7 years or so?