Limeaid

CBS: Breakdown the cost of no fans for games

No Fans Allowed? What empty stadiums would cost NFL teams and how they're trying to solve the financial strain

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/no-fans-allowed-what-empty-stadiums-would-cost-nfl-teams-and-how-theyre-trying-to-solve-the-financial-strain/

First part of a three part article.

To me the additionally advertising comps are the most interesting part especially since I rarely pay attention to advertising and I am more likely to not buy a product heavily advertised figuring price has been raised to cover costs.

1st off the canary in the coal mine is MLB.  The NFL will be looking at the success or failure of baseball's attempt at playing in empty stadiums & keeping the players from getting sick.  

Now say MLB shows playing a season with no fans is feasible.  My suggestion for increasing revenues is to open all games up for pay per view  through the team or league's website and/or with all cable providers.  They would have to make a deal with Direct TV to give up their exclusive rights, but if they charged $25 per game, people like me who live in areas where we'll only get about half the Bills games on local TV would gladly pay the $25/game to be able to sit at home and watch a Bills game.  This is especially true for people who don't want to go to a crowded bar or other facility that has Sunday Ticket.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

1st off the canary in the coal mine is MLB.  The NFL will be looking at the success or failure of baseball's attempt at playing in empty stadiums & keeping the players from getting sick.  

Doesn't Nascar have a race this weekend with empty stands?

• Like (+1) 2

Boy I know Im just in a mood today, but I dont really care if muiltibillion dollar companies lose some money.

How does it affect advertising?  Oh boy how will Geico, Budwieser and Pizza Hut be able to manage...

• Like (+1) 8
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No Fans Allowed? What empty stadiums would cost NFL teams and how they're trying to solve the financial strain

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/no-fans-allowed-what-empty-stadiums-would-cost-nfl-teams-and-how-theyre-trying-to-solve-the-financial-strain/

To me the additionally advertising comps are the most interesting part especially since I rarely pay attention to advertising and I am more likely to not buy a product heavily advertised figuring price has been raised to cover costs.

This is a very silly argument and not true, also everyone is impacted by advertising in some way like it or not.

4 minutes ago, Mr Wild said:

Boy I know Im just in a mood today, but I dont really care if muiltibillion dollar companies lose some money.

How does it affect advertising?  Oh boy how will Geico, Budwieser and Pizza Hut be able to manage...

true, but just remember — a lot of those huge multinational corporations employ local people.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

true, but just remember — a lot of those huge multinational corporations employ local people.

You arent wrong.  I know its just from a bad day

• Like (+1) 1

Second part of series:

No Fans Allowed? How NFL teams and players are preparing for a major salary cap hit because of COVID-19
The second in CBS Sports' three-part series on what a season without full stadiums would mean for the NFL

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-nfl-teams-and-players-are-preparing-for-a-major-salary-cap-hit-because-of-covid-19/

As explained in Part I of this series, local revenue is all but guaranteed to take a major step back this year. Team owners and the NFL agreed to a proposal just this week that will raise each team's debt limit from $350 million to $500 million in preparation for such a hit.

Though the CBA doesn't explicitly have a section on what happens if fans can't attend games due to a once-in-a-century pandemic, sources point to Article 12, Section 1 of the document for guidance on what's next. 

"f… AR (all revenue) for any League Year substantially decreases, in either case due to a terrorist or military action, natural disaster, or similar event, the parties shall engage in good faith negotiations to adjust the provisions of this Agreement with respect to the projection of AR and the Salary Cap for the following League Year so that AR for the following League Year is projected in a fair manner consistent with the changed revenue projection caused by such action." 

• Like (+1) 2

Has anyone heard of teams considering virtual reality seats? Not sure if that would make financial sense for just one season but Im sure there is a market for fans to be able to put on VR goggles and view the game as if they were there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

NFL does some VR stuff but I do not think they are ready for thousands of VR viewers.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

NFL does some VR stuff but I do not think they are ready for thousands of VR viewers.

They would needs thousands of vr cameras, otherwise people are going to get dizzy.  

1 minute ago, Tenhigh said:

They would needs thousands of vr cameras, otherwise people are going to get dizzy.  

Well I suppose the could install Point of View cameras on players and charge different amounts for QB, WR, RB, Safety, kick returner, etc but I am sure it would require a lot of negotiations with NFLPA.  Whatever happens this year there will need to be an agreement with NFLPA one in which they will go to court for what they could not get at negotiation table.

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

I think this is a thread about sports.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Now say MLB shows playing a season with no fans is feasible.  My suggestion for increasing revenues is to open all games up for pay per view  through the team or league's website and/or with all cable providers.  They would have to make a deal with Direct TV to give up their exclusive rights, but if they charged $25 per game, people like me who live in areas where we'll only get about half the Bills games on local TV would gladly pay the $25/game to be able to sit at home and watch a Bills game.  This is especially true for people who don't want to go to a crowded bar or other facility that has Sunday Ticket.  

It’s a good idea in premise but there will be a huge outcry from fans in local markets if they have to PPV. 

If they are going to add PPV. They need to add content. Whether game day or prepping during the week. If they need to add revenue they need to add content. Maybe you can watch your local feed for free, but you can PPV and flip between the all 22 and sideline cameras for each game. Or you PPV for the week and every team has a film crew putting together something like Amazons All or Nothing. Where weekly you pay for behind the scenes access. 

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Could add a streaming option for Sunday Ticket. Or some other non-DTV option for Sunday Ticket. 

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

They do Sunday afternoon at Darlington South Carolina.  And I can not wait!!  Have my brand new Jimmy Johnson T shirt ready to wear my brother MM.  

Nascar doesn't seem to need fans in the stands so much anyways. The action is so fast.  And you can't really hear crowd noise with the engines so loud anyways.

Should be exciting.  Go #48 baby!!  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

7 races in 11 days actually, if you include the xfinity and truck series'

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

you are something sometimes limey 

No beer in Buffalo will cost the Pegulas  Trillions, maybe more

• Haha (+1) 3