Where Does Eric Moulds Rank Among The Greatest Bills WR’s?

Yeah, clear #2 which seems to be the consensus. Was looking into some stats on this, and how about Peerless Price's random 2002 season? 94-1252-9, that's pretty crazy for a Buffalo Bills wide receiver. He's really nowhere near the discussion which I agree with, but that's got to be the best statistical season for a Bills WR outside of the clear top two.

There's also an interesting lack of Stevie Johnson in this conversation. I think we all know he was pretty limited, but if you start taking your list 5+ deep he's got be in the discussion. Three straight 1,000 yard seasons (barely, granted) with garbage QBs. We all loved him at his peak, before the drop.

Edited by Nelius

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Butler wasn't better than Reed. Not even close. Hence, Reed is a HOFer and Butler isn't even close.

If he had been able to stay healthy and had Kelly throwing to him instead of Sad Sack Fergy, he could've been a HOF-er IMO... he was that damn good.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MassHog said:

I will say Moulds is at #2 solely because that team had success. If Lee Evans or Stevie Johnson teams had the same success, I think I would put them ahead. I watched a video on youtube that was every Lee Evans touchdown, and damn was that guy great. 

Moulds had four 1000 yard seasons and another two 900+ yard seasons. He was 5 yards away from a 10k yards career. Moulds wasn't too far off from a HOF career (certainly not a HOF player but a couple of better seasons added to his resume and he is in that conversation.)

Compare that to Lee Evan's who had two 1000 yard seasons in his career and 6k yards total. Moulds didn't exactly play with great QB's either. I think Moulds by far stands as the number 2 best Bill's reciever all time and it's not even close. 

On 5/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, cage said:

I loved Moulds!  He was just outstanding.  I'll agree with #2.  I wish we had him during the Super Bowl years

I wish we had Molds for the Texans game we’d be giving the Chiefs a run for they’re money 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MassHog said:

I will say Moulds is at #2 solely because that team had success. If Lee Evans or Stevie Johnson teams had the same success, I think I would put them ahead. I watched a video on youtube that was every Lee Evans touchdown, and damn was that guy great. 

Lee Evans was not great.  Not even close.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/15/2020 at 11:32 AM, 947 said:

There's no doubt Moulds is the most physically dominant WR we've ever had, but Reed obviously had a far superior career.

I still have an old white Champion Moulds jersey collecting dust in my closet, complete with an orange stain between the numbers from Anchor Bar wings.

Moulds was my favorite player from that era. I have a royal blue Puma and a navy blue Reebok of his

Do you all remember that KO return TD Moulds has his rookie year? I think when most of us saw that, it was like, “whoa. We may have something with this guy!”

Also, re Moulds, for a while, the knock was that he only played well in even years. Check out his stats— it was uncanny, but he seemed to explode in even numbered years. 

19 hours ago, Rico said:

If he had been able to stay healthy and had Kelly throwing to him instead of Sad Sack Fergy, he could've been a HOF-er IMO... he was that damn good.

Come on man, I respect your opinion, but saying Butler could have been a HOFer is mighty strong.

It's weird though, Butler's last catch was on a TD pass from Kelly against Miami and he broke his leg on the play.

28 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Come on man, I respect your opinion, but saying Butler could have been a HOFer is mighty strong.

It's weird though, Butler's last catch was on a TD pass from Kelly against Miami and he broke his leg on the play.

I'm not slamming Andre, but I think a healthy Butler had considerably more talent than him. I don't think he had Andre's drive / football intangibles though.

• Like (+1) 1

Moulds was my 2nd favorite WR for the bills . Speaking to pure talent he was more talented than any of them including reed.  Reed never went up for over-thrown deep balls , twirling around in mid air and plucking them down with ease like moulds did.  Reed did play better in traffic however but wasnt a true deep threat like moulds was.  Moulds was faster even though he was bigger.  Reed had a better career and was a great player for Kelly but was a notch below Moulds in talent.  In the end Moulds was just over weight and really looked like a small tight end out there in houston and tennesee.

While i cant speak for player pre 90's I can say Evans was a better deep threat than moulds because he was yet a bit faster, quite the leaper, and dropped maybe 1 deep ball in his whole career here, and that one wasnt a gimme.  He also could go up and twist and turn and come down with a toe in and make it all look easy ala Moulds.  Comparing stats is a little foolish because while Moulds didnt have Kelly for his career like Reed did, he did get fed the ball quite a bit by a hot handed Flutie, a Bledsoe a eep throwing Johnson and yes even a little Kelly.  Lee on the other hand was the real victim of bad QBing getting the nerf armed wrist throwing Edwards who loved faking the reads downfield, counting to 3 and dumping it off to the running backs. Lees deep talents were wasted after JP did his best to get it to him for a couple years.  Fitz wasnt really a deep ball guy but could have pumped his stats up more than edwards ever could have but the year fitz took over, TO arrived and ate up up over half of the deep attempts that season.  He and SJ were  a good tandem with Lee getting the deep looks again but then got hurt and while on his way back ready to rock and roll- he got traded! He lit up the defense in the first  playoff game for the ravens that year then was unfairly blamed for a drop on a big play that cost the Ravens the super bowl, the ball was swatted from his hands, a perfect defensive play, for reference on what drops really look like watch SJ on any play that mattered, now those were drops!

I never knew why Lee didnt play a few more years but maybe he just had had enough (and made enough) to retire in class,  which is how he was on the field, classy.  Many of the wins we had in those 7-9 years would most assuredly have been losses had he dropped even 1 pass in those games.  People ripped him for only running deep routes but he was fantastic at them and actually took a few slants to the house too.  A one trick pony knock, wasnt that really Sammy's story?  a bunch of deep balls and nothing over the middle for fear of re injuring some of his many brittle bones, bones he treated with weed and alcohol?  But thats another thread isnt it?  Lee also caught alot of skinny posts where the defender was on top of him but hed make the play get some yac and keep a drive alive when nothing else back then was working.  He did this in the cleveland snow game that we lost on the goal line when trent threw the gutless screen on fourth down.  Lee had converted the 4rth down before that with a skinny post to get us down there.   Evans even "owned" Revis which everyone here used to harp on and on how this was SJ's thing.  Every single game a loss as Sj would rack up 10 yard type catches in front of Revis.  Big woop, meanwhile it was Evans who took a game winner deep ball to the house out leaping Revis one on one leaving him a crumpled mess on the turf as he sauntered into the end zone- alone. 7-9 was better than 6-10 or worse.  Evans was the only chance we had for some years.  To think we had him and Moulds on the same team his rookie year, then he and SJ for a started a stretch of games in his last year.  But the Bills never got their act together during his time .  They never paired him up with a good complementary WR like say Brown and Diggs look to be.   His rookie year was the best he ever had it, and that was never to be repeated.  Had Lee had a good QB and guy across from him for 6 or 7 years his numbers would be moulds-esque, maybe even Reed like.  

22 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

If Moulds played his career with Kelly as did Reed he would be a HOFer

If prime Eric Moulds played from 1986 to 1997 I am very confident the Bills would have at least won one Super Bowl in that era.