Where Does Eric Moulds Rank Among The Greatest Bills WR’s?

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Moulds is 2nd behind Reed in yards and TD's. After those two you'd have to go with Evans and Dubenion.

Evans isn't even top 10, IMO.

4 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

My favorites (regardless of stats)

1) Reed

2) Moulds

3) Bobby Chandler

4) Frank Lewis

5) Jerry Butler

Lofton and Dubenion have to be in there somewhere.

Edited by vincec

3 hours ago, bmur66 said:

If you were to pick one receiver from Bills history (in their prime) to play on this year’s team who would it be?

In his prime and healthy? Jerry Butler (sorry Andre).

EDIT: Above Butler, I would take Lofton when he was on the Packers

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, vincec said:

Evans isn't even top 10, IMO.

Evans is third all time in receiving yards and TD's. Hard to keep him out of the top 10. His problem was playing on a crappy team with crappy QB's, but he produced good stats in spite of that. I think he deserves a little more credit.

3 hours ago, bmur66 said:

If you were to pick one receiver from Bills history (in their prime) to play on this year’s team who would it be?

It would be Eric Moulds for me.

Or, you know, Terrell Owens ... if we're talking in their prime ...

• Like (+1) 1

If you look at Approximate Value for receivers on Pro Football Reference, the top 5 looks like this:

1- Andre Reed (132)

2- Eric Moulds (85)

3- Lee Evans (55)

4- Bob Chandler (47)

5- Frank Lewis (45)

AV: An attempt to put a single number on each player since 1960 in order to approximately compare across years and across positions.

(I'm thinking longevity and total production plays into AV a lot, which is why a guy like Butler doesn't crack the top 5)

BTW, Thurman Thomas is 6th all time in receiving yards and 11th all time in TD's. He was a dang good receiving back.

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

Evans is being overrated.  His production was mainly from JP Losman bombs.  He didn’t do much with short and intermediate passes.

I would have to put Bob Chandler as #3.  He was amazing.

Evans was a weird player for me. One game he’d look like one of the best WR’s in the NFL, and other games he’d completely vanish. Playing with subpar QB’s obviously factored in, but he was also somewhat of a one trick pony. He couldn’t make plays in traffic, or run short routes with any kind of consistency. He was one of the better Bills receivers of all time without question, but I always wished for another number one to compliment him when he was on our roster. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

No Moulds was not better than Reed lol. Moulds was a great WR but in no way was he better than Reed

ok, I appreciate your opinion. I agree that Reed was great, but I say replace Reed with Moulds in the SB Years, Moulds would be the better player. 

Reed

Moulds

Butler
Dubenion

Chandler 

Rashad

Bass

Lofton

Moses

Lee Evans and his pussified reluctance to run low crossers can kiss my A.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

My favorites (regardless of stats)

1) Reed

2) Moulds

3) Bobby Chandler

4) Frank Lewis

5) Jerry Butler

I think Butler could have been #3, perhaps even higher, if he had a healthier and longer career.  

Go back to Mid - 60’s and Elbert “Golden Wheels” Dubenion was a very fine flanker.  Ahmad  Raschad in the 70’s.   

On 5/15/2020 at 6:49 PM, Rico said:

In his prime and healthy? Jerry Butler (sorry Andre).

EDIT: Above Butler, I would take Lofton when he was on the Packers

Butler wasn't better than Reed. Not even close. Hence, Reed is a HOFer and Butler isn't even close.

Lee Evans was the least memorable good player ever.  He went to Baltimore, where he caught a whopping 4 passes out of 26 targets in the regular season and lost the ravens their playoff game by dropping that pass in the end zone

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Butler wasn't better than Reed. Not even close. Hence, Reed is a HOFer and Butler isn't even close.

That’s not really true.  Butler was a stud. His first 3 years were better than andre and then he suffered what was basically 2 career ending injuries.  Knee then ankle. Talent wise, I’d say Butler was right there if not better. Let’s not forget that andre had the benefit of an all time great supporting cast.

lets not forget that Butler was the 5th overall pick.  Pro bowl in his 2nd year

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lee Evans was the least memorable good player ever.  He went to Baltimore, where he caught a whopping 4 passes out of 26 targets in the regular season and lost the ravens their playoff game by dropping that pass in the end zone

That’s not really true.  Butler was a stud. His first 3 years were better than andre and then he suffered what was basically a career ending injury.  Talent wise, I’d say Butler was right there if not better. Let’s not forget that andre had the benefit of an all time great supporting cast.

lets not forget that Butler was the 5th overall pick.  Pro bowl in his rookie year.  

Reed showed right away what he was capable of in TC his rookie year in 1985. Not his fault that he had Vince Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison throwing to him as a rookie.

I ain't denying Butler's talent, but he isn't in Andre Reed's class, pure and simple.

Reed isn't a benefit of an all time great supporting cast, he is a part of it and without him, it wouldn't work.

If you want to compare early years, Butler had Frank Lewis on the other side and Reed had next to nothing opposite him till Lofton and Beebe came aboard in 1989.

27 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Reed showed right away what he was capable of in TC his rookie year in 1985. Not his fault that he had Vince Ferragamo and Bruce Mathison throwing to him as a rookie.

I ain't denying Butler's talent, but he isn't in Andre Reed's class, pure and simple.

Reed isn't a benefit of an all time great supporting cast, he is a part of it and without him, it wouldn't work.

If you want to compare early years, Butler had Frank Lewis on the other side and Reed had next to nothing opposite him till Lofton and Beebe came aboard in 1989.

If I want to compare early years???  Butler only had early years.  Then he had one more after sitting out 1.5 years, playing opposite reed....and outplayed reed.  Then he shattered his ankle and reed had to deal with Chris Burkett playing opposite him

On 5/15/2020 at 9:00 AM, MJS said:

Moulds is 2nd behind Reed in yards and TD's. After those two you'd have to go with Evans and Dubenion.

I wouldn't rule out Stevie Johnson in that number 3 conversation either. Steve had back to back to back 1000 yard seasons something that had never been done before in Bills history (I think before Stevie the team never had back to back 1000 yard seasons.) Even in his last year in 2013 he was on his way to having a solid season with just under 600 yards with 4 games left to go before suffering that career altering injury. As great as Lee was in 2006 he only had one other 1,000 yard season in his career. 

I know a lot of the arguments about Lee constantly saw QB play deflated his numbers but Stevie didn't exactly have great QB play either in his career. So I think in that in the context of the modern game Stevie definitely deserves to be in that conversation with Evans.

• Like (+1) 1

I will say Moulds is at #2 solely because that team had success. If Lee Evans or Stevie Johnson teams had the same success, I think I would put them ahead. I watched a video on youtube that was every Lee Evans touchdown, and damn was that guy great.