Where Does Eric Moulds Rank Among The Greatest Bills WR’s?

He's clearly #2......by a lot over #3.

I have always been a huge Moulds guy.  He's so underrated it's not funny.  I'd go so far as to argue that he could have a case for being the best WR we've had based on talent alone.  I've argued that if he had remotely any consistency from the QB position during his carer, he would have gone down in history as the best Bills WR ever and would be in the HOF.  But, that was the hand he was dealt, unfortunately.  I love Reed, but Moulds was a different cat.  He was a beast and could dominate games.  So yeah....he's #2, but could have been more.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 2

Had to chime in on this one.  At least it is not about Josh Allen.  Eric Moulds was a beast of a WR.  He was big fast and athletic.  Loved watching him play.  And I was at his big playoff game after the 1998 season down in Miami.  That all being said.  A lot of you must have forgotten or were too young, or not alive yet to have seen the GREAT Andre Reed play.  He was an amazing football player.  Was fast strong and tough as nails!!  He also had great hands.  Much better hands then Eric Moulds hands.  Andre Reed was the consummate pro.  When he played he was compared to Jerry Rice.  Not at that level.  (but noone will ever be)  But he was right beneath him.  And as good as ANYONE else in his era.  

And lets not forget how the game has changed in the last 20-25 years from what it was when Andre was in his prime.  Teams did not throw like they do today.  QB's were beaten down like rag dolls.  And WR's were endangered species coming across the middle.  Do you guys remember the beating Andre took in the Super Bowl against the Giants?  Wow, he got his ass kicked and kept on getting up.  Guys like Ronnie Lott Steve Atwater and Brian Dawkins could really hurt you.  Safety's were not the size of Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer.  Every team had an enforcer in the middle.  That was football.  And corners could just grab you up and down the field.  No 5 yard area to make contact.  It was all over the field.  Playing WR in Andre Reed's era was so much more difficult.  He was an amazing player.  Probably still underrated.  Moulds was an excellent WR.  But lets keep it in perspective when you are comparing him to Andre.  That's going to an entire different place.  

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Reed had a lot of advantages that Moulds never did - the biggest was probably HOFers like Jim Kelly, Thurman, Lofton.  For that reason, I do think you can make the argument that he’s #1

You’re right though, Reed was able to serve as a competent #2 during the final years of his career.  Moulds seemed to fall off a cliff once he left Buffalo.  

He was in his twilight for sure, but he did play on a 6-10 Houston team with David Carr as his QB. I never realized that we took that pick and grabbed Kyle Williams. 

2007 the Titans were 10-6 with Kerry Collins/Vince Young. Surprisingly Moulds had the second most receptions from the WR Corp with a whopping 32. He retired after.

He was toast. It’s like the dude chased bad QBs. 

32 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Had to chime in on this one.  At least it is not about Josh Allen.  Eric Moulds was a beast of a WR.  He was big fast and athletic.  Loved watching him play.  And I was at his big playoff game after the 1998 season down in Miami.  That all being said.  A lot of you must have forgotten or were too young, or not alive yet to have seen the GREAT Andre Reed play.  He was an amazing football player.  Was fast strong and tough as nails!!  He also had great hands.  Much better hands then Eric Moulds hands.  Andre Reed was the consummate pro.  When he played he was compared to Jerry Rice.  Not at that level.  (but noone will ever be)  But he was right beneath him.  And as good as ANYONE else in his era.  

And lets not forget how the game has changed in the last 20-25 years from what it was when Andre was in his prime.  Teams did not throw like they do today.  QB's were beaten down like rag dolls.  And WR's were endangered species coming across the middle.  Do you guys remember the beating Andre took in the Super Bowl against the Giants?  Wow, he got his ass kicked and kept on getting up.  Guys like Ronnie Lott Steve Atwater and Brian Dawkins could really hurt you.  Safety's were not the size of Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer.  Every team had an enforcer in the middle.  That was football.  And corners could just grab you up and down the field.  No 5 yard area to make contact.  It was all over the field.  Playing WR in Andre Reed's era was so much more difficult.  He was an amazing player.  Probably still underrated.  Moulds was an excellent WR.  But lets keep it in perspective when you are comparing him to Andre.  That's going to an entire different place.  

No I watched both.  Both were great but Reed had a HOF QB for his career.

Hope I don't need to list Moulds QBs for you. 

Let me know if you have gotten so old that I need to because you have forgotten

25 minutes ago, Rico said:

Frank Lewis is also far ahead of Lee Evans. I’d put Bobby Chandler ahead too.

I thought we were just dealing with homegrown WRs.  But yeah, Frank Lewis was a beast.  I was too young to really appreciate Chandler.   I'm taking Lofton over Lee too.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I have Moulds #2 as well.  But I'm taking Jerry Butler over Lee Evans all day everyday, and I liked Lee.

No complaints from me. But Evans does have the yardage and TD totals so the case can be made for him. But yeah, I don't really have a strong opinion about it. Outside of Moulds and Reed it's a pretty muddled list.

3 hours ago, 947 said:

There's no doubt Moulds is the most physically dominant WR we've ever had, but Reed obviously had a far superior career.

I still have an old white Champion Moulds jersey collecting dust in my closet, complete with an orange stain between the numbers from Anchor Bar wings.

Without a Doubt!

Stronger and more talented then Reed!

13 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

My favorites (regardless of stats)

1) Reed

2) Moulds

3) Bobby Chandler

4) Frank Lewis

5) Jerry Butler

What about Dubenion?

• Like (+1) 2