Where Does Eric Moulds Rank Among The Greatest Bills WR’s?

I came across this on social media the other day.  Eric Moulds was quite possibly one of the more underrated WR’s of his time.  He put together several great years, and while he made 3 Pro-Bowls, I feel that he was never in the conversation as one of the best WR’s in the NFL during his prime.  

How about Bills history?  I know many will rightfully place Andre Reed on the top of the list of great Bills WRs.  It’s hard to argue given his longevity production and HOF status.  

But I think you might be able to make the argument that Moulds is a close second.  Maybe even the best WR in Bills history.  

You can argue that Moulds was more explosive than Reed ever was.   He probably was bigger, faster and more athletic too.  By the time he came into his own in his own, he was clearly better than Reed.  He also was hindered somewhat  by suspect QB play at times, and teams that underachieved.  

What always surprises me is the yards that Moulds racked up in year 3 - almost 1400 yards on 67 receptions.  It’s crazy to think he sustained a 20+ YPC through the season.  

I just think that Moulds was somewhat of an underrated both by the Bills fan base and the NFL. 

So where do you rank Moulds among the greatest WRs in franchise history?

2 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

I think Moulds was better than Reed, but Reed had the better career. Moulds would have been #1 had he played more years with Kelly and the Offense Reed was in. 

Reed had a lot of advantages that Moulds never did - the biggest was probably HOFers like Jim Kelly, Thurman, Lofton.  For that reason, I do think you can make the argument that he’s #1

You’re right though, Reed was able to serve as a competent #2 during the final years of his career.  Moulds seemed to fall off a cliff once he left Buffalo.  

Number two, and that could have been different if he had JK as his QB for most of his career. 

It would have been nice if he was on those teams, ?

23 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Reed had a lot of advantages that Moulds never did - the biggest was probably HOFers like Jim Kelly, Thurman, Lofton.  For that reason, I do think you can make the argument that he’s #1

You’re right though, Reed was able to serve as a competent #2 during the final years of his career.  Moulds seemed to fall off a cliff once he left Buffalo.  

He never really recovered from the leg muscle tear he suffered in OT vs. the Bengals early in the 2003 season. It took a couple of tenths of a second off of his 40 time.

There's no doubt Moulds is the most physically dominant WR we've ever had, but Reed obviously had a far superior career.

I still have an old white Champion Moulds jersey collecting dust in my closet, complete with an orange stain between the numbers from Anchor Bar wings.

• Like (+1) 5