NFL's 29th fastest offense

We have a free trial so feel free to join us, but the stat is from Next Gen Stats ranking of the average top speed of all the Bills' ball carriers during the season. 

Next Gen has chips in the players' shoulder pads to measure speed and acceleration on every play on every portion of the field. 

Thanks, Josh

Really nice article by Gaughan. One quick quote that made me think:

"It shows that the Bills need to create more space on offense and get the ball to players more often in the open field. Players who get the ball in space – whether it’s a deep ball, or a slant pass to a receiver or an accurate throw to a running back in the flat – tend to move faster."

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Really nice article by Gaughan. One quick quote that made me think:

"It shows that the Bills need to create more space on offense and get the ball to players more often in the open field. Players who get the ball in space – whether it’s a deep ball, or a slant pass to a receiver or an accurate throw to a running back in the flat – tend to move faster."

CJ Spiller just needed to get out in space too

32 minutes ago, papazoid said:

telling that the two teams ranked 1st & 2nd best on this list both played in the most recent super bowl

Yep, speed is as important as just about anything imo. This validates that. In a salary cap world every team has talent. You need to make some plays that separate you. It’s those slants that go for 70 yard TDs or the RB that hits the hole and outruns everyone to the end zone. The Bills have lacked that big play ability outside of Josh. I think some of it is the design of the offense and some of it is that the skill players don’t make those plays. Diggs should add that element and hopefully open some down the field shots for Brown and Davis. The Bills NEED to make more big plays.

• Like (+1) 4

I expressed concern after day two of the draft over the team speed issue.  It is something that GM's need to monitor and address.  Fortunately, I think the Bills did get somewhat faster over the offseason, at least on offense.  Defense is another issue.  Zach Moss apparently has a sub par (for him) performance at the combine, and he is faster than he timed.  Of course, Diggs was the big addition in the speed department.  Beasley has little speed, but Brown and Diggs gives Buffalo one of the better outside pairs in the league.   Dawson Knox, if he can learn to hold on to the ball, is one of the faster tight ends in the league, and of course Josh Allen has ample speed at QB, which he puts to good use.

As I said, defense is another issue.  Tre White is plenty fast enough for the kind of game he plays, though he's not going to be ranked with the fastest DBs in the league.  Buffalo has a couple fast linebackers in Edmunds and Milano, and they've got a very fast DT in Ed Oliver.  Otherwise, they got slower in bringing Epenesa in for Shaq Lawson.  I don't know how fast Addison is, but I'm guessing not freakishly so.  Jerry Hughes depends more on an explosive first step and overall quickness, than a great 40 time.  Overall, I'd guess the defense is not one of the faster ones in the league.  They perform well based on discipline and communication rather than the pure athleticism of the players, Tremaine Edmunds being the notable exception as his speed/size blend is freakish.

I think it's less a speed issue and more a scheme, route running, and separation issue. We didn't see a lot of guys get the ball in open space. Closest was McKenzie with his tap pass receptions.

Deep passes were not effective, and I'm assuming that's a big chunk of the speed plays we didn't see.

34 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I expressed concern after day two of the draft over the team speed issue.  It is something that GM's need to monitor and address.  Fortunately, I think the Bills did get somewhat faster over the offseason, at least on offense.  Defense is another issue.  Zach Moss apparently has a sub par (for him) performance at the combine, and he is faster than he timed.  Of course, Diggs was the big addition in the speed department.  Beasley has little speed, but Brown and Diggs gives Buffalo one of the better outside pairs in the league.   Dawson Knox, if he can learn to hold on to the ball, is one of the faster tight ends in the league, and of course Josh Allen has ample speed at QB, which he puts to good use.

As I said, defense is another issue.  Tre White is plenty fast enough for the kind of game he plays, though he's not going to be ranked with the fastest DBs in the league.  Buffalo has a couple fast linebackers in Edmunds and Milano, and they've got a very fast DT in Ed Oliver.  Otherwise, they got slower in bringing Epenesa in for Shaq Lawson.  I don't know how fast Addison is, but I'm guessing not freakishly so.  Jerry Hughes depends more on an explosive first step and overall quickness, than a great 40 time.  Overall, I'd guess the defense is not one of the faster ones in the league.  They perform well based on discipline and communication rather than the pure athleticism of the players, Tremaine Edmunds being the notable exception as his speed/size blend is freakish.

Speed in the front seven doesn’t really concern me since Milano and Edmunds are the guys that’ll be running. Plus, reaction time and quickness/burst matter more in the box than 40 times. That’s where Hughes, Addison, etc excel. Our speed seems to be concentrated down the middle of the defense with Oliver, Edmunds, Hyde and Poyer. Those guys generally do a damn good job of utilizing range to limit big plays. My biggest concern is CB2 getting caught on an island during a safety blitz. McD seems to be willing to compromise on speed a bit in order to stock the defense with guys that are going to be in the right place at the right time, so they won’t need the extra speed to make up for bad recognition and anticipation. It’s worked so far. 

53 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think it's less a speed issue and more a scheme, route running, and separation issue. We didn't see a lot of guys get the ball in open space. Closest was McKenzie with his tap pass receptions.

Deep passes were not effective, and I'm assuming that's a big chunk of the speed plays we didn't see.

This is definitely a part of it IMO. We didn’t see those slants that you see some teams have where guys run to daylight. We didn’t have a lot of those “foot race to the end zone” scenarios. That’s where you see guys at their fastest.

• Like (+1) 1

RB's are the fastest guys on the field most of the time. Ours both ran 4.6's at the combine. It is going to hurt your rankings for over speed of your starters at skill positions. 

Name: 40 time (average)

Allen: 4.75 (4.93)

Diggs: 4.46 (4.48)

Beasley: 4.54 (4.48)

Brown: 4.34 (4.48)

Singletary: 4.66 (4.49)

Moss: 4.65 (4.49)

Knox: 4.85 (4.7)

Kroft: 4.67 (4.7)

4 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

CJ Spiller just needed to get out in space too

and Roscoe Parrish...and Marquise Goodwin.  We were never really able to consistently get these guys into space.  I can't recall any 5 yard catch + 30 YAC from these guys.  Goodwin caught an occasional long ball

7 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Can someone with a subscription help a brother out?  Is this a legit statement by the BN?  Where did they get their stat? Is a link available to the original data?

http://buffalonews.com/2020/05/14/buffalo-bills-fastest-offense-2019-space-speed-john-brown-robert-foster-san-francisco-kansas-city-nfl-next-gen-stats/

40 speed is vastly overrated.

Edited by matter2003

Not shocked that the Bills would be ranked fairly slow. Outside of Brown and Mackenzie I can't think of too many players that were burners that got significant snaps. Singletary isn't slow but he isn't a fast RB neither was Gore or Yeldon. There wasn't much relative speed at TE and at WR (Beasley more of a slot tech and Zay Jones and Duke Williams are below average speed at their positions, Foster didn't get much play.) 

I think Diggs certainly adds some solid speed but I don't expect this team to rank highly in terms of speed. Moss is faster than Gore but not a burner at the position. Diggs is faster than Zay and a lot of other players who took snaps at WR last year but that's not going to make a huge difference.