Anybody want to go on record about Josh?

eball

Anybody want to go on record about Josh?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your Josh Allen prediction?

• Becomes a top-10 NFL QB with Bills
    • Earns 2nd contract with Bills but never cracks top 1/2 of NFL starters
    • Is not re-signed by Bills

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Josh reminds me of a young Elway.

*Elway didn't win until the Broncos boasted the best rushing attack in football, led by one of the great RBs this league has seen.

Josh will not carry this team to glory, trying to be a hero.  If it happens, it'll be on the back of a stud rushing attack, complimented by Allen's "gameness" i.e. his ability to make something out of nothing, with an important throw here and there.

You can say the same about Jimbo,Thurman put him over the top.

Post /2

What makes me happy is that 83% think he will be a real good QB

Another 13 percent think he will be ok.

So 96% are behind him and only 4% think he will wash out.

Way to be Bills Mafia that's what this young man needs every fan solidly behind him :) 

Edited by JMF2006
2 posts combined need to space them
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

We had no idea about Cam"s me first, team second mentality. Any time you see a guy in a goofy different outfit in every post game press conference, he's trying to be the story. Josh will be low key and lead by example. 

That’s not their ceiling lol.

First rule of a poll (even a completely useless, non scientific poll like this): The response choices should cover ALL possible responses. 

There is a big gap between "top 10" and the bottom half. What is he's terrific and gets re-signed but is about the 12th best in the NFL? In a period where there are generally great QBs that could still be considered VERY good. In a time where the NFL's QBs are pretty bad, well that isn't very good.

• Like (+1) 2

I think Josh will have a very good career. Maybe not top 5, but he should be consistently 8-12 every year in production and qb rating. He won't ever be Brady, Brees, Manning or Rodgers but he be a top tier qb capable of leading a team to a SB or two......

I like Josh, I'm rooting hard for Josh, and I see it as totally reasonable that he could become a top tier NFL quarterback. Nothing would make me happier. He's incredibly easy to root for and is the PERFECT guy to be the face of the franchise for the next decade+.

That said, I voted for "doesn't get re-signed by the Bills" because I wanted to vote with my head, not my heart.

As things stand RIGHT NOW based on Josh's play through two seasons, he's a bottom third QB in this league. I believe he CAN improve significantly, and he now has the pieces around him to do so. Until I see it happen, though, I don't feel comfortable predicting that the Bills will be comfortable handing him 30+ million a season. He has work to do. 

It's also not out of the realm of possibility that he gets Fromm'd. Don't @ me.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Challenge Accepted

I’m going to say somewhere between top 8 to 10 qb in league and is a career bill

Josh is a weird cat. One minute he’s doing something amazing where I think he’s going to be the best QB in the league. The next he does something so head scratching that it makes me wonder if he has a crippling gambling problem and is trying to work the spread.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

He is inclined to not give up on a play and he has a rare combo of size, power and athleticism that allows him to extend the play when it would have otherwise been over for most anyone else.  That's when we hold our breath because something amazing/head scratching is likely to happen.  To his credit, I think the last of the latter type happened in weeks 3 and 4.  That is until the pitch attempt in Houston.  

8 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I'm catching some weird looks, but seriously. Newton had a shot to dive on a fumble in the Super Bowl and decided not to. Don't think for a second that choice didn't cost him years worth of credibility and respect from his teammates.

I’m convinced if Allen were in that same situation the defender closest may come out missing a hand ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what if I think he cracks the top half but not the top 10?

Then you are too reasonable and there's not enough homer in you. Truth is, he has to play much, much smarter to crack the top 12. Shouldn't we see a couple of games where he dominates before we crown him, "elite" ? He now has adequate talent to start throwing to guys when they  are designed to get the ball. He has to throw it earlier and trust his receivers. If so, he can become very , very good. But I think it's too early think his jungle ball playing style will decrease and his QB IQ will rise. I would like nothing better to be wrong and he becomes a top 5 QB for then next 15 years, with a couple of Super Bowl MVP's. I would be amazed if that happens and hope it does. Go Bills !!!

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Josh is a weird cat. One minute he’s doing something amazing where I think he’s going to be the best QB in the league. The next he does something so head scratching that it makes me wonder if he has a crippling gambling problem and is trying to work the spread.

You can be both stupid and brilliant while being reckless. And as you said he usually does both in a game. That attempted lateral to Knox was probably the stupidest thing Josh has done so far besides all the countless fumbles from weak ball security. Yet he'll take a 4th and 2 play and be stopped in the backfield only to somehow dive miraculously 2 yards for the 1st.  The boy will drive you crazy.

9 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I'm catching some weird looks, but seriously. Newton had a shot to dive on a fumble in the Super Bowl and decided not to. Don't think for a second that choice didn't cost him years worth of credibility and respect from his teammates.

How many NFL starting QBs do you think would do that? Brady? Don't make me laugh. The truth is, the coaches don't want the QB to do that kind of stuff too often. 

So, no, I don't think Cam or any QB loses credibility for stuff like that. Not if they perform at their jobs. Now, ask me if I think Josh gets a boost of respect from his fellow coaches (and his coaches, albeit perhaps reluctantly)?  Then I'd say HELL YES!

It isn't necessary to disparage another to praise someone.

• Like (+1) 1

I think he can have a very good career like Daunte Culpepper/Cam Newton. He will be effective so long as he still maintains his athleticism. 

Comparing him to Elway? Let’s get real. Other than both having strong arms they are nothing alike. 

4 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I think he can have a very good career like Daunte Culpepper/Cam Newton. He will be effective so long as he still maintains his athleticism. 

Comparing him to Elway? Let’s get real. Other than both having strong arms they are nothing alike. 

Elway was a scrambler who evolved into a pocket passer.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:53 AM, JESSEFEFFER said:

A "parody of an NFL QB prospect" simply would not be capable of performing that well in those situations.  So most here would agree that he cleared that Barr too.  Two areas that are 100% on him to improve upon.  Ball security while on the move and under tackle and consistently giving his WRs a chance to make a play on the deep throws.  We should be able to see if he improves in those areas rather easily.  I think 400+ points would be a nice benchmark.

Nice

I went with top 10 with a loose definition.  I am not sure he will ever be a stat machine but he will lead the team to wins by being clutch when needed.  He will be a team first guy, not stat first.  He will have the team in the play-off hunt yearly and teams will have to game plan around his skills.  Is that the definition of top 10?  I think so.

10 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Just of curiosity, so that we can gauge your level of bias and realism...

You’ve stated that you see Allen having a Culpepper/Newton like career. What type of career do you see Sam Darnold having? Who would you compare HIM to?

By the way, you might want to take a look at Elway’s career stats. Allen has actually completed a higher percentage of passes, thrown more TDs and less interceptions through his first two years than Elway did. Even in year 3 of Elway’s career, he threw more INTs than TDs. The point is that Hall of Fame QBs don’t just IMMEDIATELY start out their careers at a Hall of Fame level. Favre is another good illustration of this.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00.htm

Edited by Logic