Anybody want to go on record about Josh?

eball

Anybody want to go on record about Josh?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your Josh Allen prediction?

• Becomes a top-10 NFL QB with Bills
    • Earns 2nd contract with Bills but never cracks top 1/2 of NFL starters
    • Is not re-signed by Bills

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm not allowed as per @Foxx, but I've been on record previously and I'm sure he'll be able to relay my own predictions  :flirt:

lol, no... your not allowed because you lost a bet.  if you want to assign blame, perhaps you might look in the mirror? 'tis not my fault you make ill fated predictions. without you being able to jinx us though, Josh just might be the man. ;)

btw, Bills Nation... your welcome. :D

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I'm a big Allen fan and think he will continue to develop and become one of the best in the league.  I still have some doubts.  Can anyone point to examples of NFL QBs who flashed great potential in their first couple of years, but had some question marks, and eventually became great?  I would exclude a guy like Aaron Rodgers, who was not starting and playing in his first few years.  Cam Newton was fantastic as a rookie, so he doesn't follow this pattern.  I think Big Ben had a great rookie year too, so he wouldn't fit the bill.  Mahomes only started 1 game as a rookie then was lights out in year 2, so again, he wouldn't fit the bill either.  Brady was on the bench, but became an instant winner once he took over the starting job, so again, doesn't fit the mold.

One that kind of fits the bill is Alex Smith, who struggled his first few years, but eventually became very good (but not great).  I'd appreciate any input from the board.  It would make me feel better about Allen's prospects if we can find suitable comparisons for high potential guys took some time to reach the highest levels, but got there....

MSW, you may be right, but Alex Smith was amazing at ball control, almost never threw picks, and was fine with throwing it away.  Allen has to progress significantly to be in that ballpark.  I’m very hopeful he will do it.  I’m not going on record he will be one of the best as we haven’t seen it yet, but cautiously optimistic.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't you have a gap where we can't weigh in between top half and top 10?

My thinking is top-10 means a star.  Top "half" means that 15-20 range that doesn't wow anyone but isn't awful.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Can I get back to you in a year or two? 

Hope he keeps making strides forward, and I think he will. How far? That’s impossible to say at this point. 

I think he’ll be top 10 in intangibles, but probably not quite that high in stats. 

No, ma’am. Grow a pair. Make a pick. Yeeesh?‍♂️

8 hours ago, freddyjj said:

He has a Matthew Stafford type career.  Wows you but not a difference maker. 

C2E510F5-DFEF-42B4-8F75-84E0964A97E5.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I love that pic....that captures JA 17 in a nutshell....fearless and strong.....like out of my face Suggs I don`t care how good you are I am better :)

with the free NFL Game Pass that the NFL has been so kind to give away, i have been watching a lot of the older games. i think that is of Barr, not Suggs.  last night i watched that Minnesota game from Josh's rookie year, he owned Barr that game, got him good a couple times including that infamous leap. what struck me most though from that game was just how horrible our receivers were in '18. watching Josh throw to the likes of Benjamin, Jones, Holmes and Clay was incredibly horrid. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think Josh Josh will be a top 10 QB in the league. If not this year than next

I don't think he will be a meddling starter

I'm putting 100 on him to win mvp this Season

Meddle - Wikipedia

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

with the free NFL Game Pass that the NFL has been so kind to give away, i have been watching a lot of the older games. i think that is of Barr, not Suggs.  last night i watched that Minnesota game from Josh's rookie year, he owned Barr that game, got him good a couple times including that infamous leap. what struck me most though from that game was just how horrible our receivers were in '18. watching Josh throw to the likes of Benjamin, Jones, Holmes and Clay was incredibly horrid. 

You are correct sir :)

I just enlarged it now and it clearly is Big ole Barr who Josh later hurdled in another unbillievable highlight reel moment of his young career :)

Edited by JMF2006
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I wish we got it free here damned DAZN owns the rights here and they  make every excuse in the world to not give it away free here.

Such as all of our properties(rights) are grouped together and there is no way to break them apart and we(DAZN) can`t give it all away :(

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Maybe its me but he is top 10 now. The guy needed some WRs

He is a special QB, the perfect guy for Buffalo

I see we have 5 New York Jet fans voting here today. I love the Frank Gore signing but can he play quarterback too ?

Gore can't play QB for the Jets.  He doesn't turn the ball over enough.

• Haha (+1) 2

Could he flame out this year? Yes.

I think the chance of that happening is below 10%.

He WANTS it. He will do what it takes to get it. 
    JA has that rare quality of having complete belief in himself while being truly coach able. He can see where he is, in his growth, while still knowing he can get better at anything he sets his mind to. Then he works it. 
    Before last season “he couldn’t hit the short pass.” He worked it and VOILA he could.

It looked like he would always play “ hero ball” and force risky throws because he believed in his arm. After doing that early , with NE game being the worst, the coaches got in his ear and he allowed himself to be dialed back. Some on here said he was “ hesitant “ or “ gun shy “. Turns out he was just coach able. 

I didn’t see this with Mayfield. Rosen looks lost and defeated every time he’s on the field. 

Once Brady, Brees and Rothlisberger, Rivers and possibly Rogers are out Josh will clearly be one of the top ten in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'd like to know what top 10 means here? Tops in wins? TDs? Yards? Beauty contest?

I want him to meddle.

This is pretty important.  By what metrics?  Circumstances were very much not in Allen’s favor his rookie season and while the offense was competent last season it wasn’t complete.  Many here give him a big pass for all of that (and that’s warranted to some degree), but don’t give much thought or credence to how circumstances impacted other QBs.

The reality is that this is an enormous season for Allen.  The team around him is about as good as it’ll ever get.  With the salary cap restrictions it’s just not possible to expect much better overall talent than we have now year to year.  That really plays into the question of paying Allen because his next contract would take the place of 2-3 contracts of other impact players.  He needs to substantially step up to earn that IMO.

I hope he does.  He certainly has a ton of raw talent.  His splash plays are great, but his consistency is not.  I know that at this point the odds of QBs correcting some of the issues he has had aren’t good.  But those are overall odds.  Allen was so raw coming into the NFL that there’s reason to think that those odds don’t apply as much to him.  That since he wasn’t as developed as typical QBs he still has room for improvement in areas where most don’t.

What I do know for certain is that the clock is ticking.  The first financial decision on him - a fully guaranteed fifth year option - has to be made next off season.  I think any real improvement at all and the Bills execute that. What will be more telling will be what he eventually gets paid and whether the Bills are the ones to pay him.  A combination of that and advanced metrics will be the best indicator of where he eventually stands.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don’t think he’ll be top 10 yet, but I expect him to be in the 10-15 range.  Also, if he’s not a 10 ten guy this year, that doesn’t me he won’t or can’t be the following year.  Josh May just have a slower learning curve, but there’s has to be significant improvement each year.  No more hoping. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I am just rewatching complete season and I just finished first Miami game.

It is hard not to see mistakes he makes and hard not too see his pros and development. I love him and I want him to succeed. As a Bills fan, I can't vote anything else that he'll be a top 10 QB, since tools are definitely there he just needs to work on them, balance things, get more consistent and avoid mental mistakes.

What I would love to see is this poll among unbiased experts. Unfortunately there is no such group.

Great thread! 
This is the perfect time to weigh in on this matter given Josh’s improvement from year one to year two. If Josh takes the same type of leap this year he will be a top 10 QB. Beane has given him all the weapons, Daboll back is a good thing for Josh’s development in the same system(I am not a Daboll fan, but think consistency at this point is key for Josh). Given what we know about Josh on and off the field, everything points to a raw prospect putting it all together this season. I will be surprised if by the end of the season we aren’t all saying ‘we got our QB’. Most of us are already.

I’ll say other. Allen gets a second contract with the Bills, is a top half of the league QB but doesn’t regularly make the top ten in passing statistics. He will lead the Bills to the playoffs and win. He will have his fans, and his detractors because he never fits into the neat little category that pundits say is a top ten NFL QB. 

• Thank you (+1) 1