Josh's passing stats for 2019 aren't as bad as many people think.

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Trubisky has had good arm mechanics and footwork with a clean pocket. The issues he has had with them happens when he is under pressure.  He breaks down in a lot of ways under pressure.  That was also the case in college - and it was a big red flag for such a highly drafted prospect.

Yes, there is more to being a QB than the two things I mentioned.  However I thought they illustrated the differences between a QB prospect as raw as Allen was and one who had a lot less work to do on his fundamentals.  Also I thought what I wrote was plenty long enough already.

Of particular note to me was the fact that a rookie Trubisky was 10th in the league when it came to throwing under pressure (accurate 38.5% of the time) but 26th in the league with a clean pocket (61.5%). So, prior to his first year with Matt Nagy, Trubisky was proving everyone right. He was able to throw a deep ball well when he was on the move, but in a clean pocket he’d make some really bad misses.

Clean pocket passing statistic is the key metric.   

Bigger athletic quarterbacks are usually going to excel in scramble drills for multitude of reasons.

1.  Coverage breaks down, leaving Wrs to slip open uncovered. The longer the scramble, usually the more open a Wr becomes. 

2.  Mechanics get thrown out the window and raw arm talent usually takes precedence. 

3. Less psychological pressure exists because your scrambling to make a play thats not supposed to be made, vs being in a clean pocket making a play you are supposed to make. 

4.  Have the ability to create plays with legs and athletic abilities to shed would be tacklers.  

If you can't throw from a clean pocket you are never going to be a franchise quarterback. Unfortunately, Trubisky can't throw from a clean pocket just like Allen can't throw from a clean pocket.

Edited by TwistofFate
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Every week , it’s the same talking points by the usual cast of the anti-Josh sorority!!!  Come on ladies, give it a rest for a couple of weeks!

Nah we'll stick around to see your panties in a twist every time someone brings up facts so  you can rebrand internet machismo to a new level :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Every week , it’s the same talking points by the usual cast of the anti-Josh sorority!!!  Come on ladies, give it a rest for a couple of weeks!

Well until there is a new season and Josh plays better the talking points are still valid. They dont go away because people want them to go away. They dont go away because we have Diggs. Not because its year 3. You have to play the games first. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think these threads are hilarious. Look guys, Josh wasn't that bad, as you can see, if he did better, he would be good! Don't get me wrong, I support Josh. But these threads where people say if he made 2 more completions per game and then point that he's good because of that are pretty dumb.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBillsFan said:

Nah we'll stick around to see your panties in a twist every time someone brings up facts so  you can rebrand internet machismo to a new level :thumbsup:

I absolutely love that anything negative about Josh is a “fact” while anything that provides context is an “excuse” ? 

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Watkins101 said:

I think these threads are hilarious. Look guys, Josh wasn't that bad, as you can see, if he did better, he would be good! Don't get me wrong, I support Josh. But these threads where people say if he made 2 more completions per game and then point that he's good because of that are pretty dumb.

What I think is that you're pretty dumb because you're missing the intention of the thread or I'm pretty dumb for not expressing myself clearly.  My intent was to say that there may not be much of a difference between a QB that has a 64-65% completion average and Josh when you consider all the other factors of the game.   If you disagree with that I guess I am the dumb one as you say.

On 5/14/2020 at 7:42 PM, tomur67 said:

In 16 games Josh  completed 271 passes in 461 attempts for a 58.8%.  If he had 2 more completions per game, that would give him 303 completions for a 64.3% average, which is in the range of most NFL quarterbacks.  Yes, there are some QB's with higher completion averages.  For example,  Drew Brees  led the NFL with a 74.3 completion average, but his completion yardage was 2,979 yards, less than Josh's 3089 yards. It looks like Brees and a few other QB's are throwing a few more screen passes or dump off passes than Josh threw.  Plus you have to figure in drops.  All in all, I'm not worried at all about Josh"s accuracy issue,  In my humble opinion, it's not an issue.

The excuses, like your thread here, stop THIS SEASON.

And thank goodness! 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

What I think is that you're pretty dumb because you're missing the intention of the thread or I'm pretty dumb for not expressing myself clearly.  My intent was to say that there may not be much of a difference between a QB that has a 64-65% completion average and Josh when you consider all the other factors of the game.   If you disagree with that I guess I am the dumb one as you say.

He’s never gotten over 60% in any season in any level.  So yes for him, it’s a big difference.  Because if it was as fluky with a completion here or a completion there, he would have done it, especially against the subpar competition he was playing against before the nfl.  

hopefully, he puts it to bed but to dismiss it like some do is pretty foolish. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s never gotten over 60% in any season in any level.  So yes for him, it’s a big difference.  Because if it was as fluky with a completion here or a completion there, he would have done it, especially against the subpar competition he was playing against before the nfl.  

hopefully, he puts it to bed but to dismiss it like some do is pretty foolish. 

Again, had his WRs merely been average in terms of drop percentage, the 8 fewer drops would’ve put him at 60.5% for the season.

So I would say that it’s not a huge difference.

53 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

Well that was expressed pretty poorly. Basically, you say, look if Josh completed more passes, he'd have a better completion percentage. He might be alright because he doesn't throw as many checkdowns or screens. Your only evidence of this is Free Brees on the basis of him having a higher completion percentage, but less yards. This terrible evidence as some have noted: Drew Brees played 5 and some change less games than Allen. If you look at yards per attempt Brees is over a yard over Allen. You also say Josh suffers from drops, but give zero evidence of it. 

So in summary, you think Josh might not be bad because 1. He threw less checkdowns according to bad evidence, and 2. He had more drops. (no evidence)

And if you are going to say, well, everyone knows he had more drops, because we've seen those stats and everybody knows, what was the he point of this thread? It's already a repeat of multiple past threads. 

On 5/14/2020 at 9:08 PM, TwistofFate said:

The video im going to post right now gets me in trouble, but this is the truth. 

People who are questionable of Allen see the things you don't think exist. 

This video shows all the weakness of Allen that people make excuses for. 

Take notice to several things throughout this video. 

1.  Clean pockets and amount of time Allen has to pass. 

2.  Ball placement of each throw.   Was it optimal placement to give the receiver YAC?  How far off the mark is each throw? 

3.  Count how many balls counted as DROPS, that were nearly impossible catches that receivers layed out for or jumped through the air or tried to become contortionists to catch. 

Allen's single greatest problem is his accuracy.  Thus far in his career he is stilled plagued by his biggest knock....consistency of his throws. 

I'm really at a loss that people can't objectively see his major weakness.

Can he light it up this year?  Yes.  Did they give him the tools to succeed?   Yes.  Is his accuracy still his biggest concern???   YES

Will he step up this season and take this franchise by the reins?????  "?"

Imo, history is not on his side. 

Josh Allen needs to improve, I don't think anyone questions that.

Now with this video you posted.....Are you trying to say that Josh Allen did not improve at all during last year's season whatsoever?

28 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

And why does Josh get the "extra" but that does not apply to everyone else? Play this game with everyone and it pushes everyone's numbers up. 

10 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I absolutely love that anything negative about Josh is a “fact” while anything that provides context is an “excuse” ? 

Yeah because being the lowest rated starting QB for the season in yards per game and completion % 2 years in a row needs context. :thumbsup:

Did you know if Jamarcus Russell just added 1 touchdown a game he would still be starting in the NFL?