Interviews with Whigham; Trainer - Davis / Moss. Also News of Josh Allen working out with Smoke, Diggs and Motor next week in Florida

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/29/buffalo-bills-gabriel-davis-zack-moss-nfl-combine-bert-whigham/

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Bills drafting Davis in Round 4, but this interview brings out what Beane saw in him. Count me among the believers in Gabe Davis now.

Summary for those who dont want to hear the whole podcast:

Whigham says Bills got a steal in Davis. Why did Gabe fall to the 4th round? Becasue he says GMs cant measure heart. Also, scouts are afraid to recommend someone from a lower school with a "slow" 40 as a higher pick since they are afraid of being blamed for busts.

He says that, for a WR, 40 time is a highly overrated stat. He says there is a reason there is no Hall of Fame WR with 4.3 speed since at that speed the WR cannot really adjust and catch the ball.The key is separation and more importantly, separation at, say 4.5 or 4.6, speed. Cites Jerry Rice who had 4.5 or 4.6 speed in the 40. 

About Davis' heart and attitude - he says Davis was a captain the past three years at UCF (UCF won 25 games in a row in 2017 and 2018). Challenges us to name one other draft pick who was a team captain as a freshman [my insert: Our own Tre White wore #18 at LSU as a freshman, didnt he?] Also, Davis dominated every opponent he faced over three years (no one shut him down).

[My own insert He is right - I couldnt find one game where he was shut down - among P5 opponents two games against Pitt (2018 - 80 yards - 1 td and 2019 - 151 yards), bowl game against LSU with Patrick Queen, Devin White & Grant Delpit LSU Defense (59 yards and a TD), against Stanford - 63 yds and a TD. And I am not even talking about him destroying Memphis which has been the second best AAc team with 128 yards]

After every player is done with practice, Davis is alone out there catching balls. Says most rookies dont take criticism well and like to keep doing things they are good at  - but Davis is uber coachable and always willing to work on his weakness. Says Davis has been a professional since the age of 17 and has worked out regularly with both Dak Prescott and Saquan Barkley and learned to be a professional from them. 

Whigham also talked briefly about Matt Milano having a handicap - coming not from Alabama or LSU - but from BC. He talked about how he has a knack for the ball and works really hard.  Lastly he talked about Quinton Spain - who was an UDFA at the Titans, through hard work made the roster, then became a starter.

Overall a very nice podcast that will have every Bills fan rooting for our 4 players - Spain, Milano, Davis and Moss.

For news regarding JA workout next week with Smoke, Diggs and Motor see podcast two posts below

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Thanks for pointing out this podcast and for the summary!

I'll give it a listen.

Davis was super under the radar, in my opinion. Even though I knew the Bills would draft a WR at some point, and thus, I studied many WRs before the draft, his name somehow never came up. I wasn't familiar with him at all. He is stepping into the PERFECT situation in Buffalo, with the ability to learn from some of the best pros in the league at WR and no pressure on him to contribute immediately. Same for Isaiah Hodgins. Very excited to see the receiving corps in action.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.buffalobills.com/audio/obl-5-14-offseason-training-with-bert-whigham-adam-teicher-on-2020-chiefs-andre-

Offseason trainer Bert Whigham discussed working out with current Bills players during the offseason in California and shared why he thinks Bills rookie WR Gabe Davis will be a perfect fit in Buffalo (33:03)”

This touches on a bunch of things including how much Josh is doing to connect with all of the new offensive players. Cool stuff. 

I grasp that many disregard OBL, but this is why I listen.  

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Really big news in the second podcast - JA and MB will travel to Florida next week to work with Diggs, Smoke and Motor!! Love it. Stay safe and keep working hard. Palmer had mentioned that one cannot improve long ball accuracy without both qb and receiver being in sync - looks like JA has taken that advice to heart.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Really big news in the second podcast - JA and MB will travel to Florida next week to work with Diggs, Smoke and Motor!! Love it. Stay safe and keep working hard. Palmer had mentioned that one cannot improve long ball accuracy without both qb and receiver being in sync - looks like JA has taken that advice to heart.

Kind of sounding as though the TE and Beasley are gonna be "odd men out"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Davis was super under the radar, in my opinion. Even though I knew the Bills would draft a WR at some point, and thus, I studied many WRs before the draft, his name somehow never came up. I wasn't familiar with him at all. He is stepping into the PERFECT situation in Buffalo, with the ability to learn from some of the best pros in the league at WR and no pressure on him to contribute immediately. Same for Isaiah Hodgins. Very excited to see the receiving corps in action.

As I said in the Gabe Davis draft thread, as a UCF alum, I've watched this guy dominate for years, and is the exact type of WR the Bills receiver corps was lacking. Big, strong, hands-catcher with a large catch radius.

Keep in mind that this guy was a top option on an offense that lead UCF to an undefeated season, a Bowl win vs. Auburn, and an overall 25 game win streak. Last season, when UCF played Stanford, Davis was guarded by a CB that is projected to be a 1st round pick in next years draft and he completely abused him all day(well, first half until the game became a blowout).

I'm so excited to have him, and Zack Moss on this team!!

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 3

Oh nice, excited Allen is getting some work in with Diggs.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can't imagine Beasley's slot receiver role is in jeopardy. Or do you just mean odd men out for practicing in the off season?

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

Oh nice, excited Allen is getting some work in with Diggs.

I can't imagine Beasley's slot receiver role is in jeopardy. Or do you just mean odd men out for practicing in the off season?

The latter.  Even though Beasley I'm sure will remain the best slot, he still needs time and practice to sync up with Josh.

Likewise the TE's

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So.....Gabe Davis....

and....Robert Woods

I wonder how closely the games of these two players resemble each other?

Not really at all. But in terms of where I think Davis can get to talent wise - a solid #2 receiver - there is some resemblance to Woods. Their games are quite different though.

7 hours ago, Special K said:

As I said in the Gabe Davis draft thread, as a UCF alum, I've watched this guy dominate for years, and is the exact type of WR the Bills receiver corps was lacking. Big, strong, hands-catcher with a large catch radius.

Keep in mind that this guy was a top option on an offense that lead UCF to an undefeated season, a Bowl win vs. Auburn, and an overall 25 game win streak. Last season, when UCF played Stanford, Davis was guarded by a CB that is projected to be a 1st round pick in next years draft and he completely abused him all day(well, first half until the game became a blowout).

I'm so excited to have him, and Zack Moss on this team!!

Can you imagine what his numbers might have been if Milton didnt get injured...

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TE and slot need to be your underneath safety valves how many bombs does Edelman catch...not many.

12 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Jake Fromm is jelly