Rams stadium needs 500 mill more .. hopefully portends well for our situation..

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and im normally a pretty optimistic guy. The odds of the Bills getting a new stadium are slimmer and slimmer as each day passes. NYS is bankrupt and through many many conversations with people a max exodus is going to occur. On average, 50k leave the state, 30k come in. Out of the 30k that come in around 22-25k are not US citizens or NY residents- the majority are on medicaid, welfare, food stamps, heap, and all other forms of subsidies.

The cost of living, even in Western NY is shooting through the roof and it is unsustainable. The tax base will be diminished. I know much of this because I work for the largest medicaid/medicare insurance company- 2 million members with a large chunk here in NY. If you would like to know more about the fraud and wasteful spending, inbox me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

The entire stadium was built for 1.15 Billion and the Rams need 500 million just to finish the project.

Cowboys stadium was ten years ago.

Cowboys stadium was built in Texas not California.

Cowboys stadium is just a football stadium whereas the Rams stadium is actually multiple venues.

On 5/14/2020 at 3:32 PM, Happy said:

Really they should be content with moving back to SD.  Hopefully there is enough of that bridge left that they can cross back over.

Not a chance they move back to SD, no one really cared when they left and New Era is Jerry World compared to the dump Qualcomm stadium.

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Not a chance they move back to SD, no one really cared when they left and New Era is Jerry World compared to the dump Qualcomm stadium.

Thanks.  Another poster mentioned the Chargers signed a 20 year lease on the new stadium in LA.  I'm guessing years of being ok to slightly above average wore SD fans down since the good weather and a geographically abundant state gives them more to do than watch football.

2 minutes ago, Happy said:

Thanks.  Another poster mentioned the Chargers signed a 20 year lease on the new stadium in LA.  I'm guessing years of being ok to slightly above average wore SD fans down since the good weather and a geographically abundant state gives them more to do than watch football.

That and its a transplant city. On Sundays you would see almost every team represented when you go out to bars & locals would ask what time the Charger game was. There was a vote for a new stadium that would have only had a 2% hotel tax and it was shut down. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/14/2020 at 6:34 PM, without a drought said:

Urinals, how barbaric.

It's gold bidets.

My arse, it is!

On 5/14/2020 at 6:53 PM, Augie said:

We’ve come a long way from sharing the sinks! 

I think we can blame this more on COVID-19 than on gold bidets. :devil:

The Bills and their fans are better off at New Era. As a Bills fan living in NJ (also a Jets season ticket holder) I can personally say new stadiums aren't all that great. MetLife is a POS. Every Jets/Giants fan that I know would take Giants Stadium back in a NY minute. The cost of my seasons going from Giants Stadium to MetLife went from $1700 to $3700 per year. Enjoy New Era as its one of the few places where real fans can still afford to go to the games. Both the Jets-Giants lost a lot of their fans from attending as it became to expensive. Many who go are part of the corporate crowd. Neither team has a homefield advantage anymore.  KC renovated Arrowhead. Chicago did the same to Soldier Field. Why can't the Bills do the same to New Era?

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know where the money is going to be done, but the more time goes on the more that I think that something MAJOR needs to be done with regard to the stadium.  That is either a new stadium, or a major, MAJOR renovation to the current one.

The NFL just isn't likely to put up with the "couple hundred million dollar" maintenance with slight improvements much longer.  These new stadiums...they are major big-deal palaces.  And its not just the NFL stadiums...look around the world at the new major soccer stadiums being built...and the new nba/nhl arenas that are being built or planned.  It isn't just about revenue generation either. Sure, that is part of it...but I don't think the NFL wants the Bills to be hosting an AFC championship game in 5 years from now and have media/attention from the entire world showcasing a stadium that is just 'slightly' nicer than what is here now.  

Many/most fans who go to the games...they are happy with the stadium just how it is...and it truly is good enough....the the NFL billionaire owners don't care much about how good of sightlines the fans have..they care about money, and prestige, and image...etc.

They want convenience also. They want nice hotels and/or entertainment nearby....Plus Almost every new recent stadium has either been build in a downtown area (Atlanta, Minnesota)...or right near an airport (within a couple of miles, Vegas,  L.A.).....or both (New York). 

I just read recently the rumored new Stadium for the panthers in Charlotte is going to be downtown also (not too far from the current stadium). In DC, Snyder has been on record recently he wants a new dome stadium surround by hotels, retail, and restaurants (probably like Patriot place in Boston).  

I admit, Buffalo isn't any of these places, but there is going to be a big push/expectation for more than  just a 'moderate' refresh of the current stadium in the current location.

Edited by mjd1001

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

It isn't just about revenue generation either. Sure, that is part of it...but I don't think the NFL wants the Bills to be hosting an AFC championship game in 5 years from now and have media/attention from the entire world showcasing a stadium that is just 'slightly' nicer than what is here now.  

So you are saying what many have said and NFL denies.  NFL tries to manipulate outcome so those who do not have higher priced stadiums, whether native fans and businesses can afford such stadiums, only go to high profile games as visitors.

Personally I think teams which are denied Superbowls should be given advantage in drafts. NFL is clearly prejudiced to such teams.

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

They want convenience also. They want nice hotels and/or entertainment nearby....Plus Almost every new recent stadium has either been build in a downtown area (Atlanta, Minnesota)...or right near an airport (within a couple of miles, Vegas,  L.A.).....or both (New York). 

East Rutherford, NJ isn't in or near a downtown area.

42 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

So you are saying what many have said and NFL denies.  NFL tries to manipulate outcome so those who do not have higher priced stadiums, whether native fans and businesses can afford such stadiums, only go to high profile games as visitors.

Personally I think teams which are denied Superbowls should be given advantage in drafts. NFL is clearly prejudiced to such teams.

"Denied"  Super Bowls?  Which teams are those?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 2:16 PM, papazoid said:

even before Covid....i was thinking that the year 2030 would be the earliest a new stadium would be built.

now the state is essentially bankrupt.....i'd say 2040 is a more likely earliest date now.

Do what the Chiefs and Bears did and just make upgrades to the stadium when the time comes. I know the Bills recently upgraded the stadium a few years ago. The only thing wrong with New Era is it was built in the 70's so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a new stadium (bars, restaurants, shops, more luxury boxes) that the owners want.

11 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Do what the Chiefs and Bears did and just make upgrades to the stadium when the time comes. I know the Bills recently upgraded the stadium a few years ago. The only thing wrong with New Era is it was built in the 70's so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a new stadium (bars, restaurants, shops, more luxury boxes) that the owners want.

Lol, do you know what they did in Chicago? They didn't slap a coat of paint on it. They built a completely new stadium, but kept the old facade. Cost about $630 million in 2002. That would be $900 million in today's dollars.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Lol, do you know what they did in Chicago? They didn't slap a coat of paint on it. They built a completely new stadium, but kept the old facade. Cost about a billion dollars.

I didn't know it cost that much. What about the Chiefs then?

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I didn't know it cost that much. What about the Chiefs then?

I updated the Soldiers field numbers. Take a look at my post.

Arrowhead reno cost $425 million in 2007. That's $525 million today.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I updated the Soldiers field numbers. Take a look at my post.

Arrowhead reno cost $425 million in 2007. That's $525 million today.

Thanks for the update. I can't see the Bills getting a new stadium anytime soon with everything going on in NY. Unless the Pegula's want to do the heavy lifting financially (they don't) then New Era it is. I am fine with that as the real fans and not the corporate crowd can still afford to go to the games. I have seasons to the Jets and have been to many Giants games as well. Both teams lost their homefield advantage by pricing many of their fans out. They have the corporate crowd at MetLife. I personally miss Giants Stadium. Their wasn't a bad seat in the house there. Like New Era it was built in the 70's and didn't have all the luxury's of a new stadium.

44 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Thanks for the update. I can't see the Bills getting a new stadium anytime soon with everything going on in NY. Unless the Pegula's want to do the heavy lifting financially (they don't) then New Era it is. I am fine with that as the real fans and not the corporate crowd can still afford to go to the games. I have seasons to the Jets and have been to many Giants games as well. Both teams lost their homefield advantage by pricing many of their fans out. They have the corporate crowd at MetLife. I personally miss Giants Stadium. Their wasn't a bad seat in the house there. Like New Era it was built in the 70's and didn't have all the luxury's of a new stadium.

I agree recent events have taken the pressure off for a new Bills stadium for a while. Not that New Era will last forever, mind you. It will be 50 years old in 2023 when the current lease expires. My seats are in the upper deck and I can feel the thing shaking when fans are jumping.

But with stadium cost issues in Los Angeles and the financial impact of the pandemic, it would be a bad look for the NFL to harp on the Pegulas and the state for a new stadium.

2021 would have been the year any new stadium would have to be announced, figuring a two year construction period. Instead I see a lease extension in the cards. Maybe new stadium talk starts again in 5 years or so.