Rams stadium needs 500 mill more .. hopefully portends well for our situation..

On 5/16/2020 at 5:41 AM, sullim4 said:

This may not sit well with some on here... but contractors aren't exactly known for their ethics and wonderful customer service.  This is particularly true in massive projects like a stadium - you likely have layers of subcontractors in there that all want to fatten their profit margin and so everybody gets their take.  Flaws get exposed in designs, additional mitigation becomes required to get final approval on permits, etc.  All that costs money and contractors can take advantage of the fact that you really have no choice but to pay them more.

It's so hard to find good, ethical contractors.  You have to find people that enjoy what they do and make profits because of the quality of their people and their work -- in today's times this is increasingly difficult to find.

As somebody who has worked in construction for over 30 years, I can tell you definitively that this synopsis is far too simplistic. You have not factored in a bunch of issues that regularly contribute to cost blowouts - many of them having little to do with the ethics of contractors or the lack thereof.

These include, but are not limited to:

- Changes to the scope of work / clients brief

- latent conditions

- rise and fall clauses

- liquidated damages clauses

- incompetent design, engineering or project management

- frustration of contract

- inclement weather

- complex legal arrangements and regulatory requirements 

Construction projects and the myriad of contracts associated with them are anything but simple.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

As somebody who has worked in construction for over 30 years, I can tell you definitively that this synopsis is far too simplistic. You have not factored in a bunch of issues that regularly contribute to cost blowouts - many of them having little to do with the ethics of contractors or the lack thereof.

- latent conditions

- rise and fall clauses

- inclement weather

Construction projects and the myriad of contracts associated with them are anything but simple.

Great point about the weather. In 2017, construction was halted for two months to due the heavy rains and that delay pushed back the opening by an entire year. 

7 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

- latent conditions

- rise and fall clauses

- inclement weather

You have your bases covered.  Good job.

Is that covered in GC101 or is it a 200 level course?

Edited by Cripple Creek

On 5/14/2020 at 4:27 PM, JoPoy88 said:

Lol they’re already several billions over budget. What’s an extra $500mil?

how in any way does the Rams’ stadium issues portend ‘well’ for us?

Perhaps someone assumes the Bills can count on a ton of financial help from the NFL. Keep in mind TWO teams will share that stadium,and presumably its cost.

31 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Perhaps someone assumes the Bills can count on a ton of financial help from the NFL. Keep in mind TWO teams will share that stadium,and presumably its cost.

the NFL offers stadium loans to every team, this isn’t exactly news or hidden knowledge.

the chargers are lessees of the rams. So sure, they’ll support operating costs once the dump opens, in the form of their rent.

Either way the Pegula’s can’t kick the can down the road on new stadiums forever. They probably extend the lease for a few years but the league is very demanding on new stadiums and will put pressure to build. Didn’t Jerry Jones build that great stadium for 1.5 billion? There’s is no way we need to spend over 1 billion. We aren’t building the perfect stadium. We won’t be hosting Super Bowls ever. I would guess the wild LA stadium overruns are also due to steel coming from overseas getting jacked up due to the trade wars and all the corona virus impacts to labor costs, delays, time crunches because of the work stoppage, having to restack contractor bids and timelines because the work of one contractor is dependent on others work being completed, etc. 

4 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

You have your bases covered.  Good job.

Is that covered in GC101 or is it a 200 level course?

Not sure what the US equivalent is, but in Australia I completed both a Building Certificate IV (Trade College) and a Bachelor of Construction Project Management (University).

13 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

- latent conditions

- rise and fall clauses

- inclement weather

That's exactly my point.  Stuff like that always happens, and when it does, the client has little or no choice but to pay.  Some less-than-ethical contractors will pitch a lower price, even though they are aware of existing conditions on the site.  They then "discover" them and jack the price up.

Clients can't bid out this work because the contractor is already part way through the job.  This is a very common way that contractors bilk their clients for money and why so many people question the ethics of the industry.

So glad this team hasn’t caved in to “needing a new stadium”.

With all this “new normal” propaganda being put in our face 24/7, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a reduction in fans allowed inside stadiums for the foreseeable future. So much remains unknown going forward, a vaccine certainly is not a given to be developed, nor necessarily be all that effective (I.e. seasonal flu vaccines). 

I’m starting to wonder if the league will eventually move to a pay per view/subscription based model to make up for lost attendance revenue.

2 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Not sure what the US equivalent is, but in Australia I completed both a Building Certificate IV (Trade College) and a Bachelor of Construction Project Management (University).

Hi Sydney, speaking as an experienced Architect on major public projects I find it hard to believe the LA Stadium would be running into cost issues this late in the construction schedule. They’re either suffering from ‘scope creep’ or these costs have been a source of contention between the contractor team for many months now and are only now reaching a point of impasse.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hi Sydney, speaking as an experienced Architect on major public projects I find it hard to believe the LA Stadium would be running into cost issues this late in the construction schedule. They’re either suffering from ‘scope creep’ or these costs have been a source of contention between the contractor team for many months now and are only now reaching a point of impasse.

Yes, scope creep is definitely the most likely issue and usually is the issue at that stage as you say.

But as I noted earlier, it could be a rise and fall issue....eg - one of the contractors submits a price for the supply and installation of 89,000 reclining plastic seats but with a valid supply date to say January 1, 2020. The seats are made in China but due to the Coronavirus there is a supply and distribution issue resulting in a price rise... subsequently, each additional seat now adds $50 to the project cost because a late handover could cost you over a million per day in liquidated damages. Add in a weaker greenback and your budget just blew out by another 5, 10 or 20 million bucks.

That is just one of many possibilities.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan

3 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Yes, scope creep is definitely the most likely issue and usually is the issue at that stage as you say.

But as I noted earlier, it could be a rise and fall issue....eg - one of the contractors submits a price for the supply and installation of 89,000 reclining plastic seats but with a valid supply date to say January 1, 2020. The seats are made in China but due to the Coronavirus there is a supply and distribution issue... subsequently, each additional seat adds a $50 rise to the project cost.

That is just one of many possibilities.

Hard to imagine that the last two months would be responsible $500 million in material escalation. I haven’t seen that type of supply chain problem on any of my public works projects. Labor Costs which nowadays make up closer to two thirds of project costs have remained flat. 

On 5/14/2020 at 2:30 PM, scuba guy said:

Didn't the big dig put in mass years ago have a 20 times factor with the excess expenses

Of course, that project was the largest heist in human history.

42 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hard to imagine that the last two months would be responsible $500 million in material escalation. I haven’t seen that type of supply chain problem on any of my public works projects. Labor Costs which nowadays make up closer to two thirds of project costs have remained flat. 

Yeah, half a billion US is a head scratcher when the project is 80-90% complete.

Anyhow, it ain't coming out of my back pocket so I won't get too worked up about it. Your average California taxpayer on the other hand (unless this Kronke chap is absorbing the cost solo).

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Yeah, half a billion US is a head scratcher when the project is 80-90% complete.

Anyhow, it ain't coming out of my back pocket so I won't get too worked up about it. Your average California taxpayer on the other hand (unless this Kronke chap is absorbing the cost solo).

It’s more likely that the headline doesn’t tell the entire story. The LA Stadium complex involves much more than a football stadium. The main structure shown in the photos also includes a fully separate concert theater venue (the end of the teardrop shape). The campus also includes a couple of large office buildings which I believe will house the NFL offices. So there’s no telling whether the reported cost increases don’t involve the scope expansion I mentioned earlier.

COWBOYS AT&T STADIUM

Fans, Players Trapped At AT&T Stadium Due To Tornado Warning77

Originally estimated at $650 million, the stadium's actual construction cost rose to $1.15 billion,[21] making it one of the most expensive sports venues ever built. To aid Cowboys owner and general manager, Jerry Jones, in paying the construction costs of the new stadium, Arlington voters approved the increase of the city's sales tax by 0.5%, the hotel occupancy tax by 2%, and car rental tax by 5%. The City of Arlington provided over $325 million (including interest) in bonds as funding,[21][22] and Jones covered any cost overruns. Also, the NFL provided the Cowboys with an additional $150 million loan, following its policy for facilitating financing for the construction of new stadiums.[23]

Edited by HOUSE

24 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Fans, Players Trapped At AT&T Stadium Due To Tornado Warning77

Originally estimated at $650 million, the stadium's actual construction cost rose to $1.15 billion,[21] making it one of the most expensive sports venues ever built. To aid Cowboys owner and general manager, Jerry Jones, in paying the construction costs of the new stadium, Arlington voters approved the increase of the city's sales tax by 0.5%, the hotel occupancy tax by 2%, and car rental tax by 5%. The City of Arlington provided over $325 million (including interest) in bonds as funding,[21][22] and Jones covered any cost overruns. Also, the NFL provided the Cowboys with an additional $150 million loan, following its policy for facilitating financing for the construction of new stadiums.[23]

What’s yer point?