Home field advantage? How players and refs may be affected with no fans in house

16 minutes ago, iinii said:

First: I already said we disagree. Second everyone who thinks that home field advantage in the NFL is overblown raise your hand. And last you have yet to offer any valid proof of your theory. Think Pittsburg, Seattle and KC at home, just to name three places where it is LOUD! And if there isn’t a distinct advantage why do coaches bother pumping in crowd noise during practice for road games?

Calm down, man.  I didn't say it was "no" factor, I said it is overblown.  I also suggested that it helps bad teams more than good ones.  These are all OPINIONS.  I believe if NFL games are played without fans the teams who will be most negatively impacted are the bad teams.

17 minutes ago, iinii said:

First: I already said we disagree. Second everyone who thinks that home field advantage in the NFL is overblown raise your hand. And last you have yet to offer any valid proof of your theory. Think Pittsburg, Seattle and KC at home, just to name three places where it is LOUD! And if there isn’t a distinct advantage why do coaches bother pumping in crowd noise during practice for road games?

I don’t think home field advantage is overblown all the time. Sometimes it is based on the opponent.

Having to read For years the fans saying “ohhh! The Ralph I Will rocking!  Brady won’t know what hit him!!!!”

Yeah...that gets tired fast.  Considering certain accomplished QBs have played in bigger moments against better teams than ever produced in Buffalo.  So coming to Buffalo, isn’t really too detrimental for a certain level of QB.

i don’t entirely think it’s a coincidence Buffalo beat 

Andy Dalton, Brandon Allen, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Dwayne Haskins at home

but lost to Carson Wentz, Lamar Jackson and Tom Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I don't agree.  Yes the pure record was better 6-2 vs 4-4, it was more a function of opponents than road/home.  The finale was a tank & do you really think they would have played a better game in Baltimore than OP?  

You don't have to agree with me.  I think homefield advantage is a fun concept for fans, to believe they are part of the outcome.  In my opinion, good teams are focused even more on the road and therefore the "advantage" to the home team is minimized.  As some others have noted in the thread, getting too "pumped up" by your home crowd can lead to less-than-ideal performances, particularly early in games.

14 minutes ago, eball said:

Calm down, man.  I didn't say it was "no" factor, I said it is overblown.  I also suggested that it helps bad teams more than good ones.  These are all OPINIONS.  I believe if NFL games are played without fans the teams who will be most negatively impacted are the bad teams.

And you are welcome to your opinion. Start one of those surveys and see who agrees with whom about the overblown nature of home field advantage. Oh and by the way you have yet to add any anecdotal evidence in response to my questions. So....

The bigger issue is which guys will be able to play to their max ability in front of an empty house.  Let's be clear -- these guys are performers, they thrive off the energy of the crowd and have been used to playing in front of thousands of people since they were kids.   Playing in an empty stadium will feel like a practice.  Some won't be affected at all, but I believe many will.  I think it will add a huge variable to the season.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I don’t entirely think it’s a coincidence Buffalo beat 

Andy Dalton, Brandon Allen, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Dwayne Haskins at home

but lost to Carson Wentz, Lamar Jackson and Tom Brady.

No, it isn't. They lost to the 3 best guys on the list.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Why didn't those home crowds lead to better results at home?

It's an overblown "advantage."

We played better teams at home?

28 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The bigger issue is which guys will be able to play to their max ability in front of an empty house.  Let's be clear -- these guys are performers, they thrive off the energy of the crowd and have been used to playing in front of thousands of people since they were kids.   Playing in an empty stadium will feel like a practice.  Some won't be affected at all, but I believe many will.  I think it will add a huge variable to the season.

This is an excellent point. And while I’m not usually a McBeane cheerleader when it comes to the process and culture, I have to think that them bringing in a lot high culture DNA guys who aren’t exactly heralded may help here. Mario Addison may find it easier to get pumped up than a lot of NFLers.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I don't think it would be an issue because a) there's a lot of pride involved in individual matchups and somebody trying to rip your head off tends to concentrate the mind wonderfully and b) this will sound weird but you don't really hear crowd noise when you're actually playing; it's like your mind is dealing with so much other data that it dismisses any auditory input outside of the field of play. I've actually had moments where I can see people yelling near the sidelines but don't register any actual related sound.

3 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

San Fran is a familiar spot for Goff.  He plays there every season.  Same climate conditions and Time zone.  And it’s a familiar opponent.

kind of like buffalo vs New England.  There is just enough familiarity that despite one team being better, the games are always close enough.

but this is more about crowd impact on the function of a opposing offense.  

Just feel offenses will run smoother on the road with no fans.

He was playing in an opponent's hostile home stadium/crowd and his Offense functioned just fine.  It was not a solid example.  Crowd appeared to have no impact.

And the average temperature in Buffalo in September is 70.  And Goff is 10-2 in September.  And he has a better record on the road, has thrown more TDs on the road and far fewer sacks on the road and......well I think you get the point.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I don't think it would be an issue because a) there's a lot of pride involved in individual matchups and somebody trying to rip your head off tends to concentrate the mind wonderfully and b) this will sound weird but you don't really hear crowd noise when you're actually playing; it's like your mind is dealing with so much other data that it dismisses any auditory input outside of the field of play. I've actually had moments where I can see people yelling near the sidelines but don't register any actual related sound.

You say this but I firmly remember groans when I got a pass called for me in high school. 

48 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You say this but I firmly remember groans when I got a pass called for me in high school. 

I was referring to off-the-field noise.

Therefore the groans must have been your teammates :devil:

• Haha (+1) 3

The only team that will really be affected is the Chargers, which are used to playing in empty stadiums at home. 

6 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

San Fran is a familiar spot for Goff.  He plays there every season.  Same climate conditions and Time zone.  And it’s a familiar opponent.

I guess you haven't lived in California.  The climate conditions in the Bay Area and Southern California are really different. 

35 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The only team that will really be affected is the Chargers, which are used to playing in empty stadiums at home. 

I guess you haven't lived in California.  The climate conditions in the Bay Area and Southern California are really different. 

No...most of my family lives right outside LA and San Fran.  So been to both multiple times but true I’ve never lived there.

But we are getting away from the topic.

I think Jared Goff having to play cross the country in front of 70,000 screaming bills fans when he’s never played in that stadium before is going to be a tougher challenge than his annual trip to San Francisco which in some ways he’s become a custom to.

Side note is how the refs will be affected.  Would we see a noticeable difference in officiating without 70,000 fans booing them for a call that is perceived bad or otherwise?  As the article states, the refs are affected by the responses they receive.  Consciously or not, nobody likes to take heat for an action.

22 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I don't agree.  Yes the pure record was better 6-2 vs 4-4, it was more a function of opponents than road/home.  The finale was a tank & do you really think they would have played a better game in Baltimore than OP?  

I think Allen would have.

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was playing in an opponent's hostile home stadium/crowd and his Offense functioned just fine.  It was not a solid example.  Crowd appeared to have no impact.

And the average temperature in Buffalo in September is 70.  And Goff is 10-2 in September.  And he has a better record on the road, has thrown more TDs on the road and far fewer sacks on the road and......well I think you get the point.

Now you got me thinking Goff won’t be affected at all in a sold out New Era.

And if there are NO fans...shoot...now I might pick Rams to win that one.

thnaks!

• Haha (+1) 1