Home field advantage? How players and refs may be affected with no fans in house

Five minute read from CBS SPORTS about the disappearing home field advantage and how players may be impacted, for better or worse, from fans not being in attendance.  Also touches on how refs may be affected by no fans in the stadium.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/no-fans-allowed-how-home-field-advantage-could-be-affected-in-nfl-season-without-full-stadiums/?ftag=SPM-16-10abi8e

"You know, I'm going to say yes and here's why," Parry says. "When you get booed -- and I'm talking booed -- I'm not talking about when there's a holding call and 15,000 people don't like it and it subsides 20-30 seconds later and the game goes on; that is water off the back -- but I have been booed for a length of time, and it does affect your psyche. And you wish at times you could crawl under a rock and you wish you could have it back." 

To add on,

I immediately think of the RAMS home game.  You sometimes think does your guy or your opponent have the ‘intangibles’ to thrive in a hostile environment or will the wires in his brain fire out.

I look at Jared Goff...in Buffalo, up against that defense and 70,000 screaming fans...I think he is screwed.  Maybe a final score of 31-16 for Buffalo.

i beleive the atmosphere would swallow him up.  Other opposing QBs I think aren’t effected that much.  When Russell Wilson comes to Buffalo I’m not expecting him to be effected at all by the noise or fans.  He should be fine.

But in an EMPTY stadium...with no outside influence or sensory assault from fans...I feel Goff will do better.  Still pick Buffalo to win, but that is an example I think of for certain type of player benefiting from no fans.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BillsDude said:

Wondering if they will allow fake pumped in crowd noise by the home team, to use or not use as they see fit.

In a game with fans, there is usually Crowd Noise when either team has the ball.  To different levels.  And in most stadiums, crowd noise increases based on down, score, time in the game.  Which is is al different.

can you trust the home team to pump in the proper crowd noise?  Or will say the Steelers pump in crowd noise as if every opposing team play was 3rd and Goal with a minute to go.

wouldnt be fair I see

It will be interesting to see the effect the lack of crowds will have on the teams.  For the away teams that's obviously one less thing they have to game plan for.  For home teams defenses especially lose a good chunk of energy that they feed off of.  

31 minutes ago, BillsDude said:

Wondering if they will allow fake pumped in crowd noise by the home team, to use or not use as they see fit.

Umm, yeah, that's not going to happen.  For a gazillion reasons.

As to the original post -- I think homefield advantage is more of a benefit to poor teams with great fans than it is to teams who are already good/established (or teams with milquetoast fans).  I don't think the Bills would be negatively impacted by the absence of fans at The Cap.

It is going to be interesting to see how teams play in quiet stadiums to say the least. All sports will be affected but I believe the NFL will be the most affected. Other sports don’t require the same type of communication needed in football; especially offenses that are on the road. With no fans defenses won’t have as much of an edge as they do now. 

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

To add on,

I immediately think of the RAMS home game.  You sometimes think does your guy or your opponent have the ‘intangibles’ to thrive in a hostile environment or will the wires in his brain fire out.

I look at Jared Goff...in Buffalo, up against that defense and 70,000 screaming fans...I think he is screwed.  Maybe a final score of 31-16 for Buffalo.

i beleive the atmosphere would swallow him up.  Other opposing QBs I think aren’t effected that much.  When Russell Wilson comes to Buffalo I’m not expecting him to be effected at all by the noise or fans.  He should be fine.

But in an EMPTY stadium...with no outside influence or sensory assault from fans...I feel Goff will do better.  Still pick Buffalo to win, but that is an example I think of for certain type of player benefiting from no fans.

Goff threw for 323  yards and 2 TDs last season vs that SF Defense... in SF.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Umm, yeah, that's not going to happen.  For a gazillion reasons.

As to the original post -- I think homefield advantage is more of a benefit to poor teams with great fans than it is to teams who are already good/established (or teams with milquetoast fans).  I don't think the Bills would be negatively impacted by the absence of fans at The Cap.

The Bills so far have been able to hold teams in check thanks to the D. They feed on the noise which also has a negative effect on the visiting offense so I would have to disagree.

Just now, iinii said:

The Bills so far have been able to hold teams in check thanks to the D. They feed on the noise which also has a negative effect on the visiting offense so I would have to disagree.

Buffalo was a better road team than home team last year.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Goff threw for 323  yards and 2 TDs last season vs that SF Defense... in SF.

San Fran is a familiar spot for Goff.  He plays there every season.  Same climate conditions and Time zone.  And it’s a familiar opponent.

kind of like buffalo vs New England.  There is just enough familiarity that despite one team being better, the games are always close enough.

but this is more about crowd impact on the function of a opposing offense.  

Just feel offenses will run smoother on the road with no fans.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Why didn't those home crowds lead to better results at home?

It's an overblown "advantage."

First: I already said we disagree. Second everyone who thinks that home field advantage in the NFL is overblown raise your hand. And last you have yet to offer any valid proof of your theory. Think Pittsburg, Seattle and KC at home, just to name three places where it is LOUD! And if there isn’t a distinct advantage why do coaches bother pumping in crowd noise during practice for road games?

Edited by iinii
It’s road not toad. Sorry

Empty arena stuff kinda sucks.  UFC works because it allowed you to hear a bit more of what is happening in that competition.  It also works because watching 2 people fight, in any scenario is pretty entertaining.  They had empty arena fights on the ultimate fighter, and it was fine.  I don't think crowds at golf are crazy important, you could get some additional entertainment by putting mics on some golfers.  

As for crowd dependent, watching pro wrestling is pretty painful without crowds.  So much of what they do is to get that pop.  It feels like you're watching rehearsals.  

For actual sports, especially playoffs like nba and NHL, its going to be tricky to get it to feel... important. 

11 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't agree.  Yes the pure record was better 6-2 vs 4-4, it was more a function of opponents than road/home.  The finale was a tank & do you really think they would have played a better game in Baltimore than OP?  

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, eball said:

Yea and for a long time teams have taken advantage that crowds are low at start of 2nd half because fans are at bathrooms, getting food/beer and illegally smoking.