Where Is He Now? - Maurice Clarett

Gugny

He's doing great things and is owning all of his miscues ... This is a great read:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28490590/inside-latest-chapter-former-ohio-state-star-maurice-clarett-life-turnaround

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Maurice Clarett is going to be late for the baby shower.

He's dressed and ready. His fiancée, Ashley, and the couple's 13-year-old daughter, Jayden, are finishing hair and makeup. Family and friends soon will gather in Worthington, Ohio, just outside Columbus, to celebrate the couple's baby boy due in about a month.

Then Clarett gets a call on FaceTime. It's Mike Tyson ................

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Clarett found out the hard way what happens when you go up against the real power.  The NFL monopoly is extremely hard to fight, even when they do wrong or illegal things.  Good to see that he's got his life back on track.  

Mainly, he confirmed that companies can make up hiring rules that do not discriminate against a protected class.

What he found out "the hard way" is that making a bad choice at every single opportunity ruined his football future.

In college, he bad mouthed his coaches and was an over academic fraud. 

"I took golf, fishing, and softball as classes," Clarett said, according to the excerpt. "Away from class, anything you can think of, I did in my 13 months at Ohio State."

He described doing drugs and chasing women. He claimed to own three cars, including a new Cadillac and Lexus.

"I was living the NFL life in college," he said in the book. "I got paid more in college than I do now in the UFL."

This gets him booted from college.  More drugs.  Sues the NFL loses.  Goes to 2005 combine.  Not in combine shape.  Still gets drafted---3rd round!  Shows up to camp hopelessly out of shape.  Gives up guaranteed money so he could instead have an incentive laden contract which required multiple 1000 yards seasons!  Coaches get tired of his BS and waive him after a month.

Robs 2 people at gunpoint.  Gets arrested.  While on bond, leads police on a high speed chace whee they tire spike his vhicle, mace and taser him to get him cuffed. Does a stretch.

So, no...his fight with the NFL was not "what happened".  It was the first of many bad decisions he made as an adult.  Hopefully it seems to have grown up a bit.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Mainly, he confirmed that companies can make up hiring rules that do not discriminate against a protected class.

What he found out "the hard way" is that making a bad choice at every single opportunity ruined his football future.

"I took golf, fishing, and softball as classes," Clarett said, according to the excerpt. "Away from class, anything you can think of, I did in my 13 months at Ohio State."

He described doing drugs and chasing women. He claimed to own three cars, including a new Cadillac and Lexus.

"I was living the NFL life in college," he said in the book. "I got paid more in college than I do now in the UFL."

This gets him booted from college.  More drugs.  Sues the NFL loses.  Goes to 2005 combine.  Not in combine shape.  Still gets drafted---3rd round!  Shows up to camp hopelessly out of shape.  Gives up guaranteed money so he could instead have an incentive laden contract which required multiple 1000 yards seasons!  Coaches get tired of his BS and waive him after a month.

Robs 2 people at gunpoint.  Gets arrested.  While on bond, leads police on a high speed chace whee they tire spike his vhicle, mace and taser him to get him cuffed. Does a stretch.

So, no...his fight with the NFL was not "what happened".  It was the first of many bad decisions he made as an adult.  Hopefully it seems to have grown up a bit.

If you think it's OK for the NBA and NFL to put age limits on when people can play, then we're just gonna disagree on that.  Whatever else Clarett might have done, he should have had a shot at the NFL.  Let him succeed or fail if a team wants to give him a chance.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If you think it's OK for the NBA and NFL to put age limits on when people can play, then we're just gonna disagree on that.  Whatever else Clarett might have done, he should have had a shot at the NFL.  Let him succeed or fail if a team wants to give him a chance.   

Didn't he have a chance in the NFL and blow it?

Edited by soflabillsfan1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Didn't he have a chance in the NFL and blow it?

Yep.  He was a 3rd round pick even after he was kicked out of OSU.

In February 2005, he participated in the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. During a press conference, he uttered the phrase: "It's a humbling thing being humble." After running a disappointing 4.72 and 4.82 seconds in the 40-yard dash, he refused to participate further, and was referred to as "Slow-Mo" by the sports media, who were largely critical of his combine performance.[citation needed]

Ohio State declined to allow him to take part in a private workout for pro scouts in Columbus because it wanted to avoid a "circus" situation.[citation needed]

2005 NFL Draft[edit]

In an unexpected move, Clarett was drafted on the first day of the 2005 NFL Draft with the final pick of the 3rd round (#101 overall) by the Denver Broncos. Many experts felt that he would fall to the 6th or 7th round, if he was drafted at all.[14] However, Clarett turned out to be unimpressive in the Denver Broncos' preseason training camp. In part due to having not played a game in two years or practiced in over a year, he entered training camp weighing 248 pounds, more than 20 pounds overweight. He was also slow to recover from an injury.

Despite his unimpressive training camp, Clarett signed a four-year contract on July 28, 2005 with the Broncos in which he gave up $413,000 of guaranteed money in order to secure an incentive-laden deal. Clarett signed this deal against the advice of his former agents, Steve Feldman and Josh Luchs. Clarett's motivation was to replace the proposed deal with a package that would pay him first-round money if he rushed for 1,000 yards in multiple seasons.

However, after further disappointments and incidents with his coaches and never playing a preseason game, Clarett was released on waivers on August 28, 2005, only a month after signing a contract and before playing a down in the NFL. As is standard procedure in the NFL, for a 24-hour period after his release, other teams could have claimed

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Yes I think - they should be able to have that right. 

He Still got an NFL shot and blew it.  He made his bed - got a ton of money in college and then though he could make up his own rules.  

He failed and failed bad, but hopefully after a lot of scraping of the bottom of the barrel- he can get his life together.

• Like (+1) 1

I saw him at Kroger last year with his daughter. Skinny, almost didn’t recognize him. Glad he was able to turn his life around. I was at his first game as a true freshman, I think he had like 200+ yards and he truly was humble at that time. I had a “Free Maurice” T-shirt in 2003 while he was suspended. He made one of the best plays I’ve ever seen in the national championship when he took the ball right out of Shawn Taylor’s hands during an interception return. So much wasted talent but what a story in the end. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Disagree....on what? It doesn't matter what I think about how these leagues choose to run their businesses.  Why even bring that up?  They are legally allowed to do so and every other aspiring NFL player has clearly understood that.  This kid's choice to challenge that was the first of many terrible decisions. 

He got kicked out of school and figured the NFL would find him so attractive as a one year wonder in college that they would change the entire way they do business...just for him!

He had the same opportunity as everyone else to get into the NFL in the usual way.  In fact, obviously, HE DID "have a shot at the NFL".  A team DID "give him a chance" (they wasted a 3rd round pick in the process)---and he totally blew it!

So I don't know what your issue is with my response.  It's all fact. 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I saw him at Kroger last year with his daughter. Skinny, almost didn’t recognize him. Glad he was able to turn his life around. I was at his first game as a true freshman, I think he had like 200+ yards and he truly was humble at that time. I had a “Free Maurice” T-shirt in 2003 while he was suspended. He made one of the best plays I’ve ever seen in the national championship when he took the ball right out of Shawn Taylor’s hands during an interception return. So much wasted talent but what a story in the end. 

Did you break out that beauty after he got locked up?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Disagree....on what? It doesn't matter what I think about how these leagues choose to run their businesses.  Why even bring that up?  They are legally allowed to do so and every other aspiring NFL player has clearly understood that.  This kid's choice to challenge that was the first of many terrible decisions. 

He got kicked out of school and figured the NFL would find him so attractive as a one year wonder in college that they would change the entire way they do business...just for him!

He had the same opportunity as everyone else to get into the NFL in the usual way.  In fact, obviously, HE DID "have a shot at the NFL".  A team DID "give him a chance" (they wasted a 3rd round pick in the process)---and he totally blew it!

So I don't know what your issue is with my response.  It's all fact. 

Did you break out that beauty after he got locked up?

No idea where it is now or where it was at that time. I was pretty young and clueless. Bought it on campus. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes I think - they should be able to have that right. 

He Still got an NFL shot and blew it.  He made his bed - got a ton of money in college and then though he could make up his own rules.  

He failed and failed bad, but hopefully after a lot of scraping of the bottom of the barrel- he can get his life together.

....very fair assessment and certainly agree......sad that the likes of the Hardy kid could not get it together and ended up a statistic (RIP).....hitting the brights lights quickly coming from an impoverished background can blind them quickly.........

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Everything I heard from someone who went to high school with him was that he was a scumbag.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Everything I heard from someone who went to high school with him was that he was a scumbag.

Are you the same person now that you were in high school?

21 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Didn't he drink Grey Goose before every practice when he was with the Broncos?  

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Nope - but when he was made eligible to draft in 05 I wanted nothing to do with him.

Yep.  He made A LOT of mistakes, without a doubt.  I hope he's grown up as much as he appears to have grown up.  He's doing a lot of good things for a lot of people.  Maybe he's truly found his calling.