No Football at Cal, UCLA

JetsFan20

UCLA and Cal are not in the Cal State system, they are in the UC system. The Cal State system is the mountain west conference, not the PAC 12. It’s like Fresno state, SDSU etc. 

the MWC isn’t power 5 and relies much less on out of state tuition and have different economics than the bigger players in California, two of which are private schools (USC and Stanford). The MWC does rely on playing power 5 schools to stay alive financially though 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

UCLA and Cal are not in the Cal State system, they are in the UC system. The Cal State system is the mountain west conference, not the PAC 12

Don’t let the details mess with a good story! How do you break “news” if you want to wait for actual facts? 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

California is trying to be the trend setter and hoping others will follow. 

And they could be...if it wasn’t for the SEC and ACC. Based on regions depending on which way the big 10 schools go will be the real kicker.

Students will get another year of eligibility if they choose to wait it out. From the sounds of it the PAC-12 will eventually call it quits on the year. Which means there is no inter conference transfer issues. If programs jump on this right, you could see some power teams for the areas of the country that stay open. If I were say Georgia and I had any kids not committed yet, with some money still available, I’d be jumping on starting guys from cancelled programs for weak spots on my roster. Also UCLA and UW are good schools. Even if you don’t have money, I’m sure they have some pull to get them academic money. 

Just now, Mango said:

And they could be...if it wasn’t for the SEC and ACC. Based on regions depending on which way the big 10 schools go will be the real kicker.

Students will get another year of eligibility if they choose to wait it out. From the sounds of it the PAC-12 will eventually call it quits on the year. Which means there is no inter conference transfer issues. If programs jump on this right, you could see some power teams for the areas of the country that stay open. If I were say Georgia and I had any kids not committed yet, with some money still available, I’d be jumping on starting guys from cancelled programs for weak spots on my roster. Also UCLA and UW are good schools. Even if you don’t have money, I’m sure they have some pull to get them academic money. 

Georgia wouldnt have room for kids from the mountain west conference. They wouldn’t recruit those kids in the first place. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

UCLA and Cal are not in the Cal State system, they are in the UC system. The Cal State system is the mountain west conference, not the PAC 12. It’s like Fresno state, SDSU etc. 

the MWC isn’t power 5 and relies much less on out of state tuition and have different economics than the bigger players in California, two of which are private schools (USC and Stanford). The MWC does rely on playing power 5 schools to stay alive financially though 

Thanks for the add-I had no idea. Mods-I apologize. 

ACC, SEC and Big XII are in primarily red states.  Can’t see them throwing in the towel.  

B1G is a mixed bag.  

PAC-12 can cancel their conference this year and no one outside California/Oregon/Washington would even notice.   

I am friends with a few USC grads and they want to use this to leave the conference, should the PAC-12 shut down for Fall sports. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Georgia wouldnt have room for kids from the mountain west conference. They wouldn’t recruit those kids in the first place. 

Guilty of not reading the article and only reading the OP. 

I was going of Cal and UCLA which are PAC-12 schools. While not dominant they have players just not enough of them. If the PAC-12 cuts the season I stand by my post. 

Otherwise, you are 100% right. 

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

ACC, SEC and Big XII are in primarily red states.  Can’t see them throwing in the towel.  

B1G is a mixed bag.  

PAC-12 can cancel their conference this year and no one outside California/Oregon/Washington would even notice.   

I am friends with a few USC grads and they want to use this to leave the conference, should the PAC-12 shut down for Fall sports. 

Agreed. Maybe some movement in the lower ranked schools. But nothing near the top get effected...unless kids decide to transfer. 

I am guessing you lose some from the ACC but they play on, PAC-12 eventually cancels. The league will to the way of the B1G. While a power conference UM, OSU, Wisco, are all very good schools academically regardless of politics. They still may cancel. 

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

B1G is a mixed bag.  

Conferences won’t be making the decisions. Nor will the ncaa, which doesn’t really control CFB like it does other college sports due to the Football Oversight Committee that runs the playoff. It will be state governors and health officials in accordance with the universities who make the decisions on whether games and can be played and whether there can be fans. Ohio state announced they are making a decision mid-June on fall semester classes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Conferences won’t be making the decisions. Nor will the ncaa, which doesn’t really control CFB like it does other college sports due to the Football Oversight Committee that runs the playoff. It will be state governors and health officials in accordance with the universities who make the decisions on whether games and can be played and whether there can be fans. Ohio state announced they are making a decision mid-June on fall semester classes.

That’s why I referenced red state governors.  

SEC and BIG XII governors shouldn’t be much of an issue.  ACC will be interesting with Cuse, Pitt, BC and the Virginia schools.  The governors could cause issues for them. 

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Once again don't let the facts get in the way.  I am sure power schools from the SEC & the Big 10 have holes all over their roster

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So who made the decision talked about in the OP? Not the conference?

I guess it wasn't the governor or state officials if the PAC 12 is still in question, or; am I missing something?

Alabama is set to open against USC. Obviously, I was very much looking forward to that game. This whole situation is a huge disadvantage to Alabama. When given months to coach his players, Saban does fairly well in opening games. ;) Their last meeting was an opener.....56-7 Tide.

Edited by Bill from NYC

24 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

So who made the decision talked about in the OP? Not the conference?

I guess it wasn't the governor or state officials if the PAC 12 is still in question, or; am I missing something?

Alabama is set to open against USC. Obviously, I was very much looking forward to that game. This whole situation is a huge disadvantage to Alabama. When given months to coach his players, Saban does fairly well in opening games. ;) Their last meeting was an opener.....56-7 Tide.

It was the group of schools in the Cal State system. Those schools that have football are mostly in the mountain west conference, but this decision to have online classes in the fall is separate from any football or athletic decisions.  USC is not in that system. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 10:15 PM, SCBills said:

B1G is a mixed bag.  

what conference do the USC fans want to join?   would be fun to have it in the ACC for football to have a western team.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.