Wade as the return man?

On 5/12/2020 at 7:54 PM, CaptnCoke11 said:

Wade will be heading back to England soon

...no harm keeping him around...……..

.."He signed a reserve/future contract with the Bills on 6 January 2020.[21] On 27 April 2020, Wade was given a roster exemption as an international player for a second season.."

On 5/12/2020 at 1:57 PM, Logic said:

I've been saying this since he got here.

The odds of him truly contributing on offense enough to gain a roster spot for that reason seems incredibly low.

As such, and given the skillset needed to be a successful rugby player, why has he never been given a shot as a returner?

It seems like it would be VASTLY easier to learn than the entire offensive playbook, and it would give him a better chance of actually making the roster.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe he's not good at fielding kicks. Otherwise, it seems like a real waste to not let him try his hand as a returner.

You really earned your username w/this one

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wade's chances of making the team are slim to none.  I think Roberts probably stays one more year to catch punts and return kicks.

My main point was that PR is not a big part of the game anymore and Andre was a bit of a disappointment compared to what he did the year before.

I used 10 punts to get somewhere around a figure for 1 PR man per team.  The fact is that most punts are not returned.  Fair catches, kicks OOB,

kicks into the end zone and kick in bound not fielded are the usual result of a punt.  Andre only had 28 returns all season which was 5th in the league.

FWIW I ran the numbers for 15 or more punts and there was only 24 players that made the list.  Andre was 11th on that list.

Yeah - there's potential for big plays there but for the most part you just want someone who will secure the ball, move forward, and who knows when to fair catch and let something go.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't get the love for Wade.  I really don't.  Unless he's lights out during TC (assuming there is one) and during games, I find it hard to believe that he's going to stick.  He's like the Da'Rick Rogers (a "diamond in the rough" WR pickup if I recall) of RBs.

It would seem that the Bills finally have the luxury to pick their spots, and I would be absolutely astounded if Wade was one of them.

Just let the guy compete - fairly - for a spot on the team.  If he earns a spot, keep him.  If he doesn't release him.  But there is no need to pre-judge.  I, for one, want to see him given a genuine opportunity to make the squad in any capacity that makes sense.

On 5/14/2020 at 9:38 AM, dneveu said:

And after wade catches a punt and fumbles will we re-think the decision?  

Also - 10 punt returns is a bit of a small sample size (a little over 1/2 a return per game).  Not to mention PR's are largely blocking related.  

Folks,   rugby IS an open field running game.  Because you can't block, they lateral the ball 4-5 times a minute at least. They learn how NOT to fumble the ball.  They can not tackle low, so the defenders try to whack the ball out.   When a rugby player gets trapped, they kick the ball downfield a long distance to gain field position and the other team has to track the ball, catch it cleanly and return. I would guess this happens 30-50 times a game.  Rugby is an excellent training ground for kick returns.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/12/2020 at 8:04 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We have one of the best, if not THE best KRs in the league. But let’s replace him with a guy that has barely even played football. I don’t understand why Bills fans, are always obsessed with these underdog stories. Like Duke Williams. The guy isn’t even going to make the team. We have awesome WRs now, but there will be 20 threads this offseason about a player that’s on the fringe of making the league. A guy like John Brown that had an incredible season last year...no talk. Duke Williams, hero. We have 2 young RBs that could easily be the strength of the offense going forward...nobody talks about them. Rugby player that might not even understand the rules of Football: savior. Now our all pro return guy needs to be replaced by him. 

Couldn't agree more. And You might be right about the two running backs. Although I think it's more likely given the wide outs the Bills have, that this team will be very well balanced. The only thing that could hold this team down is Josh Allen. I do think he will have a great year though (hoping)

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/13/2020 at 11:09 AM, Logic said:

Pardon my ignorance, but....WHY exactly is there "no way" he can return punts?

Because in the rugby codes, the position which generally fields deep, high kicks in a similar fashion to an NFL punt returner is the fullback.

Wade, if I recall correctly, was a centre and/or winger. Wingers can and do return kicks - but nowhere near as much as fullbacks. Centres do not return kicks.

On 5/13/2020 at 11:19 AM, Buffalo716 said:

I'm not going to say he can't do it but the probability isn't high

KR and the space involved actually may feel more like Rugby to him but PR will feel like a foreign object 

Dudes screaming down on you at 20mph and you need to catch it and make the first guy miss who is probably within 3-5 feet of you running 20 mph when you field it

You honestly gotta be a bit nuts to do it in the NFL

This is NOT an uncommon scenario in the rugby codes, FYI.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Because in the rugby codes, the position which generally fields deep, high kicks in a similar fashion to an NFL punt returner is the fullback.

Wade, if I recall correctly, was a centre and/or winger. Wingers can and do return kicks - but nowhere near as much as fullbacks. Centres do not return kicks.

This is NOT an uncommon scenario in the rugby codes, FYI.

I don't doubt that seeing I don't watch much rugby

But the style of the sport and how they get things done are just vastly different

I don't recall many 70 yd set kicks in rugby with a blocking scheme tho I could be wrong

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't doubt that seeing I don't watch much rugby

But the style of the sport and how they get things done are just vastly different

I don't recall many 70 yd set kicks in rugby with a blocking scheme tho I could be wrong

The blocking component is the big difference because blocking in rugby is illegal.

But broken-field kick returns against staggered, rushing defences are part and parcel of the game.

IMHO, his ONLY realistic shot at an NFL roster is as a KR/PR. Running back is too complex for a rugby player. Heck, he would be better off as a WR than a RB.

59 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Absolutely correct. 

Whilst you get some versatility in rugby union positions with some players more than you do in the NFL. They are still relatively unique skill sets and exactly as you say, a full back is the one position comparable to kick returner. Needing to return long distance kicks.Wade as a wing may occasionally have got some, but not many and it's not what he was known for for. He was a line breaking runner. 

The one guy back in the day who could have made a great NFL returner is Jason Robinson, he was dual code so used to changing rules. 

46 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

The blocking component is the big difference because blocking in rugby is illegal.

But broken-field kick returns against staggered, rushing defences are part and parcel of the game.

IMHO, his ONLY realistic shot at an NFL roster is as a KR/PR. Running back is too complex for a rugby player. Heck, he would be better off as a WR than a RB.

Let's be honest, his only realistic role in the NFL is as an ambassador. He could be useful marketing for the Bills in the UK.