Wade as the return man?

I like the idea but it will never happen. Roberts didn’t make many big plays last year but he is extremely reliable with the ball, that trust counts a lot. 

Isaiah McKenzie also seems to be next in line for KR and PR anyways, and I don’t think he’s going anywhere next year either.

Oh boy!  I can’t wait until it’s a tight game, 4th quarter, and we have a former rugby player back there at our own 15 fielding punts....

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm not going to say he can't do it but the probability isn't high

KR and the space involved actually may feel more like Rugby to him but PR will feel like a foreign object 

Dudes screaming down on you at 20mph and you need to catch it and make the first guy miss who is probably within 3-5 feet of you running 20 mph when you field it

You honestly gotta be a bit nuts to do it in the NFL

I don't pretend to know his capabilities and I don't think you should either. It's totally possible he can't do it, but it's totally possible he can. There's no probability to calculate because we have no data on him. We just have to trust the coaches to use him how he can best help the team. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that returning kicks and punts is part of that. But that's up to the coaches to find out.

Anyone who has a strong opinion on what, if any, role Wade will have this upcoming season is talking out their ass. He was an elite talent in European rugby, and an exceptional athlete with zero American football experience. He showed us (and the coaches) his talent, and potential in the 2019 preseason, and it landed him on the PS. 

He could be great.

He could be lost.

Anyone who pretends to speak with authority (and there are several on this thread) is full of crap.

Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't pretend to know his capabilities and I don't think you should either. It's totally possible he can't do it, but it's totally possible he can. There's no probability to calculate because we have no data on him. We just have to trust the coaches to use him how he can best help the team. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that returning kicks and punts is part of that. But that's up to the coaches to find out.

I'm not going to discount him at all but I also don't think people should prop him up as something he isn't. He is an athlete in a new sport. He is an unknown

He's probably going to have a hard time to make the active roster this Season and I can see the exemption again

I root for all our players and I hope wade balls out and can steal a job. That would be a great story and his explosiveness is evident

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I'm not going to discount him at all but I also don't think people should prop him up as something he isn't

He's probably going to have a hard time to make the active roster this Season and I can see the exemption again

I root for all our players and I hope wade balls out and can steal a job

I agree with you there. All we know about him is he's fast, elusive, athletic, and a world class rugby player. We'll just have to see how it pans out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We have one of the best, if not THE best KRs in the league. But let’s replace him with a guy that has barely even played football. I don’t understand why Bills fans, are always obsessed with these underdog stories. Like Duke Williams. The guy isn’t even going to make the team. We have awesome WRs now, but there will be 20 threads this offseason about a player that’s on the fringe of making the league. A guy like John Brown that had an incredible season last year...no talk. Duke Williams, hero. We have 2 young RBs that could easily be the strength of the offense going forward...nobody talks about them. Rugby player that might not even understand the rules of Football: savior. Now our all pro return guy needs to be replaced by him. 

There are many different types of fans. It's pointless to judge.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm not going to say he can't do it but the probability isn't high

KR and the space involved actually may feel more like Rugby to him but PR will feel like a foreign object 

Dudes screaming down on you at 20mph and you need to catch it and make the first guy miss who is probably within 3-5 feet of you running 20 mph when you field it

You honestly gotta be a bit nuts to do it in the NFL

I don’t know that he can do either (he’s certainly a long shot), but returning kick offs would be a piece of cake compared to punts. Kicks you field the ball all by yourself, look upfield and start running. 

To return punts would be much more like rugby where you have bodies flying all around you when you field the ball. Not all kicks are meant to be boomers in rugby, purely about distance and hang time where you get space to field the ball. Many kicks are designed to crush you as it arrives.

What IS really different is learning to follow blocks. THAT is totally foreign for a rugby player.  I guess you could argue blocking would be an added luxury. 

Oh, and you DO need to be nuts! The human body was not meant to play football. I have that from a reliable source. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Pardon my ignorance, but....WHY exactly is there "no way" he can return punts?

Punt returns are totally different and are not like anything he would be used to.  Trying to catch a ball dropping from the top of the stadium with bodies all around.  That is an art and takes years to even be half way decent at.  You have an all pro versus a guy that has never even caught a punt in  high school, college, Pre-season, or anyplace else.  

Hmm - let me think how this will go.  You see guys like Ray Ray that have been returning punts at every level of football and the NFL he is a fumble machine back there.

Kick offs are totally different, but I want a guy that I don’t have to worry about fielding punts - especially in the swirling winds of Buffalo in winter, but by all means - let’s dump our all pro special teams return ace for a guy that has never done it.

2 hours ago, buffalojedwardo said:

I know we have Roberts but why not let the guy compete back there? 

Wade reminds me of Duke Williams who is just like Fred Jackson.  

And Fred returned kicks.  

It makes sense to me

53 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Punt returns are totally different and are not like anything he would be used to.  Trying to catch a ball dropping from the top of the stadium with bodies all around.  That is an art and takes years to even be half way decent at.  You have an all pro versus a guy that has never even caught a punt in  high school, college, Pre-season, or anyplace else.  

Hmm - let me think how this will go.  You see guys like Ray Ray that have been returning punts at every level of football and the NFL he is a fumble machine back there.

Kick offs are totally different, but I want a guy that I don’t have to worry about fielding punts - especially in the swirling winds of Buffalo in winter, but by all means - let’s dump our all pro special teams return ace for a guy that has never done it.

And really to get enough practice time in Wade would have to spend less time practicing with the offense, there's only one place he can be at a time. I also hope if he doesn't make the 53 they just put him on the regular PS so he might have a chance to play considering his age.

5 hours ago, Augie said:

I bet they give him a chance. I played rugby in college, and a back had better be competent fielding kicks, albeit with a bigger ball and different surroundings.

My son forgot to call a fair catch once in high school. He held onto the ball, but I figured he’d learned his lesson. The next (and LAST) time he did it, I figured he had dain bramage from all those long headers in soccer! He’s much better now, he just loved contact!  The kid got a free shot on him, my son was up first standing over him saying “a free shot and that’s all you got?” Hysterical! 

If he played Full Back in Rugby you might have a point but he didn't, he played wing. Aside from an occasional up and under, he wouldn't have faced much kick returning

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Take it easy, Francis.

First, no one said anything about dumping Roberts. You pulled that idea out of thin air.

Second, as difficult as it is to learn to field punts, I’d be willing to bet any amount of money that learning to play the running back position from scratch and learning an entire offensive playbook are more difficult feats.

In truth, Wade will likely never make an NFL roster. My contention is simply that trying to teach him a special teams specialty gives him a better chance than having him try to learn an entire offense.

But by all means, Blow things out of proportion and get upset.

6 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We have one of the best, if not THE best KRs in the league. But let’s replace him with a guy that has barely even played football. I don’t understand why Bills fans, are always obsessed with these underdog stories. Like Duke Williams. The guy isn’t even going to make the team. We have awesome WRs now, but there will be 20 threads this offseason about a player that’s on the fringe of making the league. A guy like John Brown that had an incredible season last year...no talk. Duke Williams, hero. We have 2 young RBs that could easily be the strength of the offense going forward...nobody talks about them. Rugby player that might not even understand the rules of Football: savior. Now our all pro return guy needs to be replaced by him. 

Giving someone a shot and totally writing someone off are two different things. I can’t be the only one to not be impressed with Roberts. Also all pro and pro bowl are two different things. He was also a substitute. 

8 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

With a slew of talented receivers that could also be the return man, who knows if Andre Roberts even makes the team.

Who? Who are these mythical other return men? 

Hyde is fine for a safe catch, Mckenzie is a liability, so who are these return men you claim? 

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Let Wade compete for both. If he beats out Roberts on both, you give him the job. If he doesn't, you keep Roberts and Wade goes to the practice squad or is cut. Simple.

I don't see why he could return kickoffs but not punts. Let the coaches decide what he can and can't do.

It'd be a very short competition. 

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Well yeah, of course it's tough. Doesn't mean he can't do it. He's a professional athlete.

So is Lionel Messi, and I don't want him as our returner either. 

7 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Anyone who has a strong opinion on what, if any, role Wade will have this upcoming season is talking out their ass. He was an elite talent in European rugby, and an exceptional athlete with zero American football experience.

Some people on this board are Brits who are rugby union fans so have watched Wade for years so know what he is capable of. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

A small but real percentage of this board wanted Reich over  Kelly.